Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by digh27
Thanks sneamia!
To clarify one point, do I need to have the my relative on the phone as well?

If I am the one booking, points holder and credit card holder can I do the full transaction by myself without my relative on the line?
Good question, but I'm pretty sure just the points holder as long as you have their full name and DOB for the booking. You can submit passport info online afterwards via ANA's portal.
digh27 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by digh27
I had ANA cancel the return leg of my flight, there was no automatic refund of points or fees. I called VS and they said they could try re-booking me on a new leg if availability was present (which of course there was none).

I ended up asking them to just refund me the whole booking. I'd assume you would have to call and ask for them to process the refund.
Why did they do it? I wonder if I can do anything to prevent this. My fam has ANA accounts, I think, maybe I ensure that any passport info is in their res, and make sure record locator is on ANA acct?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by tripmaster
Why did they do it? I wonder if I can do anything to prevent this. My fam has ANA accounts, I think, maybe I ensure that any passport info is in their res, and make sure record locator is on ANA acct?
IIRC, this was for a flight scheduled around April 2022. They had reduced service due to the surge of covid? So it just happened that the return leg stopped running. Sadly they made no effort to rebook and when I tried reaching out to ANA they said "can't help you, talk to booking party (VS)"

I think it was just an unlucky situation for me, normally I don't think you need to have ANA accounts or anything. Just making sure the passport info is updated.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:44 pm

My Virgin redemption on ANA mistakenly left off my last name on the return from Tokyo -- there's no more availability of course, has anyone had any luck getting either VA or ANA to amend the ticket? The front line Virgin rep said Im SOL because I made the res in Jun, and that if I release the seat back it prob wont even show up as award availability.

Backup plan is took book on JL but was hoping to use these miles.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by tripmaster
My Virgin redemption on ANA mistakenly left off my last name on the return from Tokyo -- there's no more availability of course, has anyone had any luck getting either VA or ANA to amend the ticket? The front line Virgin rep said Im SOL because I made the res in Jun, and that if I release the seat back it prob wont even show up as award availability.

Backup plan is took book on JL but was hoping to use these miles.
So the departure flight was fine or did you only book one way? I'm shocked they can't just edit it as its their mistake.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Scott Keith
So the departure flight was fine or did you only book one way? I'm shocked they can't just edit it as its their mistake.
one way - booked 2 one ways as dates opened up. they apologized and said ANA is very strict and wont edit the name. released the flight and it disappeared. booking JL as a backup. they reviewed the CS call and heard that the rep didnt ask me for middle name as she should have, too.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:51 am

Thats pretty shocking. Ive had literally dozens of rebookings in the last couple of years for NH flights and there has been maybe 6-8 times when a middle name hasnt gone on.

To be fair Ive noticed it within minutes and called VS straight back - but it has meant cancelling the ticket, waiting for the inventory to become available again (generally speaking a few minutes), then them rebooking it with NH immediately.

Strange that the ticket wasnt available again almost immediately.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Tofino87
That’s pretty shocking. I’ve had literally dozens of rebookings in the last couple of years for NH flights and there has been maybe 6-8 times when a middle name hasn’t gone on.

To be fair I’ve noticed it within minutes and called VS straight back - but it has meant cancelling the ticket, waiting for the inventory to become available again (generally speaking a few minutes), then them rebooking it with NH immediately.

Strange that the ticket wasn’t available again almost immediately.
they said the problem is i booked in june... and too much time has passed. Not tragic - have a JL booking at 60000 miles, but now more points are sitting in VA unused. I am getting a NH flight there though, so I get to try it out.

the manager said he'd keep an eye out for me for openings. i dunno if i believe it to be honest, but I'd fly TYO to YVR, SEA, SFO, SJC, LAX or even ORD. So ... we'll see if anything opens. Not hopeful.

i have used award nexus in the past, but the UI is terrible and i dont think it returned anything useful to me. maybe i should try that or some similar service?

Last edited by tripmaster; Oct 2, 2022 at 12:01 pm
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:17 pm

Anyone know when is a good time to search for fall flights? I'm talking for 2023 and not 2022. I've found a few in AUG with business but I'm looking for flights later in the fall with first.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Originally Posted by BBonly
Anyone know when is a good time to search for fall flights? I'm talking for 2023 and not 2022. I've found a few in AUG with business but I'm looking for flights later in the fall with first.
I can see HND-ORD in F on 09/22 and 09/23
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:50 am

Anyone had Virgin quote a much higher than expected amount for the taxes and fees? I found some J seats for next week using united's search tool and called Virgin to book but they wanted both 90k points AND $965 in taxes and fees.

Edit: Scrolled up and found the link to the fuel surcharge posted here: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/

Last edited by jashsu; Oct 3, 2022 at 8:56 am
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by tdot_guy
I can see HND-ORD in F on 09/22 and 09/23

I'm searching United again and I cannot find flights past Sept 5 when checking today. Looking to book a 1 way, non-stop again from LAX to TYO. I've found a few business class flights out in August, but I prefer to book in October. From the looks of it, I'll have to check October flights in November.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:58 pm

It seems ANA is adding more flights (all 77W!). I am seeing about 10 F tickets in early march from west coast.

Just booked 2F but man those fees are brutal. Only way I can justify it is due to my stranded points from a previous cancellation.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jashsu
Anyone had Virgin quote a much higher than expected amount for the taxes and fees? I found some J seats for next week using united's search tool and called Virgin to book but they wanted both 90k points AND $965 in taxes and fees.

Edit: Scrolled up and found the link to the fuel surcharge posted here: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/
It was $928 for me. Wonder why it is different between our bookings.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:19 pm

Just snagged the NH5 first aware on 3/8 from LAX to NRT. Looks like still flying the old configuration, hoping that the new cabin might be made available for this route by then.

Paid $464 one way in surcharges, guess it fluctuates based on the exchange rate of any given day. Now need to figure out how long I want to stay and how to get back
digh27 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.