Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
You have all month to transfer points with the bonus. Check the United award calendar frequently for your dates. If something opens up, get on the phone with VS and let them hold the flights while you're transferring the points. It's only the 6th
I’ll keep watching. The good news/bad news is that we will be in Egypt when the flights I want will open up, so I won’t be following tickets or making calls during that time! 😉
Old Oct 8, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by progol
Thanks, digh and whipwhitaker,
After too much time exploring the pros and cons, I’ve come to the conclusion that it doesn’t make sense to transfer the Chase points, despite the temptation of the 30% bonus. But ohh, the temptation!
I'm with you on the temptation, too. We hope to visit Japan since our 2020 trip was COVID canceled and are also looking to go mid Oct 2023. For me, I can't seem to get a clear understanding how NH works with booking on VS so I'm patiently watching UA's site daily. A lot of people give UA a really good report on their hard product(chair and bed) which I'm leaning towards as we'll certainly get plenty of Japanese food while "IN" Japan. However, If I can manage to see those NH seats become available on UA's site for our travel date to Japan I will do my best to get VS to hold and book the flights as we have a plethora of miles and points in all the right places.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: n/a
booking with united instead?

I'm not really sure where to post this so i guess i'll post it here.
need to rebook a VS flight on ANA to tokyo. I saw one available from SEA to NRT but the VS agent said she didn't see it on her end and assumed those tickets were placed on hold.

But i see the tickets available on the untied website, would there be any issue in booking the flight through United website instead? just want to make sure there would be no errors.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by br0wntown
I'm not really sure where to post this so i guess i'll post it here.
need to rebook a VS flight on ANA to tokyo. I saw one available from SEA to NRT but the VS agent said she didn't see it on her end and assumed those tickets were placed on hold.

But i see the tickets available on the untied website, would there be any issue in booking the flight through United website instead? just want to make sure there would be no errors.
Do you see it as a saver award on United? Otherwise it can't be available to VS to book.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Do you see it as a saver award on United? Otherwise it can't be available to VS to book.
yes it's available as saver award but the agent said she didn't see it on her end.

agent said it could be one of the tickers placed on hold.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:44 am

I was due to be flying on October 29th, myself with a paid ANA ticket and my partner - had nabbed them First both ways LHR - HND with Virgin Points last December.

Then there was a plane change on 29th to one without a First cabin, and as folks on here know, the booking was sort of in limbo - they had a valid e-ticket but no seat.
Calls to ANA and Virgin referred me to each other, and of course no availability for a new first or Business seat so late in the day, thought it was all going to have to be cancelled until I got a call from ANA in the States (am in UK) about a change of time on return leg (which I was fine with) and once that was sorted asked if I could talk to her about this reward seat problem.

This lady was great, like talking to a travel agent friend you had known for years - she went through options for travelling the same day, few days before etc - telling me how many people were waitlisted for each class, each day and in the end we decided to ask for a Business seat on the 26th - she put the request in and we waited. Hour or so later the booking appeared in partners ANA app as WAITLISTED and overnight changed to OK and could book seat. Called Virgin to reissue the ticket (and give me back a few airmiles) twice, but e-ticket is now showing at the right status on Saudia.

Done our MySOS app for fast transit and those are both Blue - looks like we are going on 26th!

Wish had thought to ask the lady her name (I kept the US number she called from) as she was just soooo good with this, but I was just so excited someone wanted to help me.
freakazoid and aquanine like this.

Last edited by Antony Jackson; Oct 10, 2022 at 6:45 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:49 pm

anyone seeing crazy tax and surcharge

had to change my ANA flight and now the taxes are $450+ . thats just insane. anyone know if thats just temporary or if there is work around to those taxes?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:55 pm

had to change my ANA flight and now the taxes are $450+ . thats just insane. anyone know if thats just temporary or if there is work around to those taxes?

Yep this is standard now.

it’s down to a huge increase in fuel surcharges. God knows when they’ll decrease again.

I was gutted that I had to change a JFK-HND F ticket to LAX-HND in July.

I had paid $75 surcharges on the JFK departure, and it became something like $300 for the LAX departure
Old Oct 14, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Fuel charges will decrease when the Singapore jet kerosene oil price decreases. With the recent geopolitical situation, it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
I think the number will change after Nov 30th but not sure if it goes up or down....
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:46 pm

What would happen if I jumped off the first leg of a flight if the final destination is jakarta but it has a layover in japan Narita?

Does anyone know if the taxes are refundable if you cancel your flight?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
What would happen if I jumped off the first leg of a flight if the final destination is jakarta but it has a layover in japan Narita?

Does anyone know if the taxes are refundable if you cancel your flight?
I think you can get full refund but have to pay $50 the cancellation/change fee?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 8:58 am

Hi, does anyone know if the "free 24 hour cancel" window applies here? I am U.S. based and the flight I booked was NRT-LAX.

After I made the booking, I had misgivings about the $450 taxes, and I also realized that the schedule is going back to the old config for November. (So there should be a seat on NRT-LAX for Nov 21st if anyone wants it!).

Anyways, I called them up about 2 hours after booking and asked to cancel. The guy told me there would be a $100 fee - $50 to refund miles and $50 for something else I couldn't quite make out. I tried to ask about the "24 hour window" and he said no. Assuming he is right but maybe there is a small possibility he is not and the system will spit out something more favorable for me.

I'll update here on what gets reimbursed to my cc, but curious if anyone knows. Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:08 am

Ok. A lot of basics getting asked here. Just to nip these in the bud (and please read back over the thread for future reference):

1) in answer to br0wntown - if it is part of the same PNRr/ticket and you decide in Tokyo that you will ‘accidentally’ miss the next flight - you will not receive any points or taxes back. There is a 24 hours-in-advance cancellation window, up to which time the $50 is applicable, with all points refunded.

​​​​​​​2) dval44 - as stated above in this post. Agent is talking the aftermath of a vindaloo, if that’s what you’ve been told.

it’s a flat $50 / £30 uK (or 35 I forget) if you cancel more than 24 hours out.

As to free cancellation within 24 hours, this could be a DoT thing, if ticket was issued by US office, or because it originates in US. Have a look, UK-based so I don’t know. But $100 is a lie.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Tofino87
Ok. A lot of basics getting asked here. Just to nip these in the bud (and please read back over the thread for future reference):

1) in answer to br0wntown - if it is part of the same PNRr/ticket and you decide in Tokyo that you will ‘accidentally’ miss the next flight - you will not receive any points or taxes back. There is a 24 hours-in-advance cancellation window, up to which time the $50 is applicable, with all points refunded.

2) dval44 - as stated above in this post. Agent is talking the aftermath of a vindaloo, if that’s what you’ve been told.

it’s a flat $50 / £30 uK (or 35 I forget) if you cancel more than 24 hours out.

As to free cancellation within 24 hours, this could be a DoT thing, if ticket was issued by US office, or because it originates in US. Have a look, UK-based so I don’t know. But $100 is a lie.
Thanks for the response, Tofino87 .

Glad to know it's $50 usd max.

Though I take slight umbrage with calling my question "basic and...already covered" when your answer is that you do not know, and I would have to look into it. So that is precisely my question - does the U.S. dot rule apply here. If anyone knows, that would be helpful. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.