Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Tofino87
Here’s one that doesn’t get discussed much in this forum, but may do more so with the proper re-opening:

Domestic Japan flights, in economy class.

These book in to ‘X’ class, using VS points.

I’ve booked one and afterwards thought I’d better check the checked baggage allowance, but 1 piece would be fine…

Obviously nothing useful on the virgin confirmation email, or the attached pdf documents (which relate to VS flights).

Next up, check Saudia ‘manage my booking’, using the e-ticket number. This has always been accurate for international flights in J & F in the past.

What does it say? ‘0 pieces’.

I call VS. 2 agents give me 2 different answers. One thinks I should get 1 bag, 23kg allowance. The other says their information on partner flights says ‘checked baggage may not be included’.

So, I called NH direct. Reached a US-based agent.

His first response was ‘yes I can see zero pieces’. Then he went to check. Then he came back and said I should get x1 piece, up to 203cm dimensions and up to 20kg weight.

Then I told him about the Saudia website stating zero.

He asked which carrier I arrived in to Japan with (I’m already here) - I said it was NH, on an obviously completely separate ticket.

He went away, came back about 10 mins later and said he’d added that information in to my economy booking for this domestic flight… so that it ‘should be fine’ and ‘international baggage rules will apply’.

Now, I get it, that’s the case if you have an economy domestic segment of tagged on to an international flight on the same ticket.

But, what gives?? Has anyone flown domestic using VS points (in a standalone ticket) and can comment on the baggage allowance?

I would prefer to use my VS points for this and 2 more domestic flights, but if there’s no baggage allowance I’ll have to look at using Avios instead - the cash fares I’m looking for are very expensive, even in economy.

Thanks
Back in 2019 I did ITM-HND-LHR on one PNR booked with VS, with the international in F.
Only checked one bag, but fairly sure the international F allowance would have applied.
Overall seemed to be treated like an F rev booking... Suite Lounge at ITM, limo terminal transfer at HND (back when this was operating!), etc.
​​etc.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:21 am

Did anyone try calling VS and hold an ANA flight recently? I have tried calling this morning and was told they cannot hold any ANA flights.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Kwtkiwi
Did anyone try calling VS and hold an ANA flight recently? I have tried calling this morning and was told they cannot hold any ANA flights.
We booked a few weeks ago right before Japan announced their opening and was told the same. Not sure when that changed?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Anh Nguyen
We booked a few weeks ago right before Japan announced their opening and was told the same. Not sure when that changed?
not sure either. I was hoping to hold it so I can transfer my points to VS. so sad that we cannot do it anymore.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:03 am

Pretty sure this was mentioned up thread, I remember saying something about it too.

No holds on rewards is my experience now with VS in the last 12/18 months.

Weirdly, I had an agent tell me they couldn’t ticket an air NZ redemption for 3-5 working days, but that they have held it…. So who knows!
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:02 pm

maybe an obvious answer, but never having tried to book ana flight via VS, but would i be able to book multiple tickets (myself, spouse, kids) with just my VS account? or would my spouse need her own VS account? I also have ANA frequent flyer number, (does that even come into play) and would spouse need one as well?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
Originally Posted by gymshoe
maybe an obvious answer, but never having tried to book ana flight via VS, but would i be able to book multiple tickets (myself, spouse, kids) with just my VS account? or would my spouse need her own VS account? I also have ANA frequent flyer number, (does that even come into play) and would spouse need one as well?
I booked for myself and my wife with only one VS account, same itinerary in case that matters.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:00 pm

Has anyone booked a ticket recently? What are the surcharged looking like?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by ayushmaang
Has anyone booked a ticket recently? What are the surcharged looking like?
just booked 2 one-way from NRT to SFO. Surcharge is $917
Old Nov 4, 2022, 11:19 pm

I have a one way booked on United miles for 88k from HND-ORD for March 2023, is it worth to rebook using Chase points + bonus on Virgin? (although there is danger of it not being released back that quickly). I really need HKG-ORD which doesn't seem to be happening though and I think cancelling will be more difficult on Virgin I believe if I somehow find a last minute HKG-ORD?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by psychoidiot
I have a one way booked on United miles for 88k from HND-ORD for March 2023, is it worth to rebook using Chase points + bonus on Virgin? (although there is danger of it not being released back that quickly). I really need HKG-ORD which doesn't seem to be happening though and I think cancelling will be more difficult on Virgin I believe if I somehow find a last minute HKG-ORD?
I don't believe it is guaranteed that your seat will be released immediately (or at all) if you were to cancel and rebook... I suggest only doing it if there are other seats currently available unless you're ok with the risk.

On a separate note, I just booked ORD-HND via Virgin a few days ago (departing in two weeks) and the fees were ~$470/pp for a one-way. Insane - so you may want to take the fees in account as well if booking via Virgin
Old Nov 5, 2022, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kwtkiwi
not sure either. I was hoping to hold it so I can transfer my points to VS. so sad that we cannot do it anymore.
My points transfer has always been instant between Chase UR and VS. I had them wait on the phone while I did the transfer and it showed up a few seconds later in my account.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:23 pm

So I want to book a flight ORD-HND-SYD on ANA. I see award availability, however, I understand Virgin will charge per segment, my question is, will I have to pay the fuel surcharge for the flight ORD-HND and then for the flight HND-SYD?
Because on ANA booking, direct flights to Tokyo has a high surcharge but when connecting to SYD the surcharge becomes reasonable. Does someone know how it works booking with Virgin?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:09 pm

Programs: SVO, SPG Gold
What system are people using to check ANA availability nowadays? I use united app and see no first / business class availability from SFO to Tokyo even 11 months out.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just made F award booking NRT-ORD for next September. Found availability via EF, cross-checked with UA. After confirming award availability, the VS agent was nice enough to wait about a minute while I transferred the points from Chase UR. Taxes (mostly YQ) now a staggering $476 (up from $72 when I flew this route last year).

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.