Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Just booked for one on ANA first LAX to NRT 2/22 to 3/3. 110k and $965 in taxes.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:20 pm

I found some available first class in March 2023, but it flies with NH5 without the new suite. Just FYI if anyone wants to book. LAX-TYO with an acceptable time flying out of LAX at 11:30 AM
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:45 pm

Does ANA allow us to book the flights that are NOT nonstop that show up on United?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by mrfrancis
Does ANA allow us to book the flights that are NOT nonstop that show up on United?
Virgin only allows you to book ANA flights. I doubt you're seeing connections entirely made up of ANA flights. If you do, you can book it. Each segment does increase the costs, i.e. booking FRA-HND-ITM costs the same as booking FRA-HND and HND-ITM seperately.
digh27 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
Just booked LAX-HND in J for 2 passengers (90,000 points / $900ish) and the next day NRT-LAX opened up in F (110,000 points / $900ish). Outbound on Oct 22 and return Nov 3.
digh27 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:15 pm

you can't hold flights anymore?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:21 pm

Maybe not for a year now, I lose track of time.

Although Ive had it offered once or twice in the last 12 months - but I think it was a Freudian slip.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:25 pm

Does ANA still fly the old 'SUITE' configuration on 77W? I thought they had moved completely to the new configuration, but my LAX-NRT reservation for March 2023 is showing the old config.

I am wondering if it was just a placeholder and would get updated closer to departure to the room
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by digh27
Does ANA still fly the old 'SUITE' configuration on 77W? I thought they had moved completely to the new configuration, but my LAX-NRT reservation for March 2023 is showing the old config.

I am wondering if it was just a placeholder and would get updated closer to departure to the room
Yes, those configurations are still around. They did announce LAX-NRT was getting the new config in the most recent schedule update last month - cant recall what date that runs to, but sounds like your date in March must fall just after it ends.

Itll be a case of waiting for the next schedule to come out before thats confirmed for you. Probably not until mid January.

I would suspect that they may want to steal one or two planes back from either/or a combination of the LAX or ORD routes by that time to serve Frankfurt. One lives in hope, anyway.
digh27 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tofino87
Yes, those configurations are still around. They did announce LAX-NRT was getting the new config in the most recent schedule update last month - can’t recall what date that runs to, but sounds like your date in March must fall just after it ends.

It’ll be a case of waiting for the next schedule to come out before that’s confirmed for you. Probably not until mid January.

I would suspect that they may want to steal one or two planes back from either/or a combination of the LAX or ORD routes by that time to serve Frankfurt. One lives in hope, anyway.
I noticed that when I booked NRT-LAX (NH6) for November 3 that the equipment was 788 when the ticket was issued. Today, a day later, the equipment changed to 777ER, albeit not The Suite configuration. Any hope that the aircraft swap may actually mean that this will be the new Suite and their website hasn't updated yet?

EDIT: I see the new Suite configuration all the way until October 27, after that it changes to regular First.
digh27 likes this.

Last edited by whipwhitaker; Oct 5, 2022 at 9:42 pm Reason: addl info
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:22 am

This is a very helpful post. I am very much a newbie to the miles game. My husband and I are planning to go to Japan mid-October 2023 from NYC and I’m considering transferring our Chase points (168,000) to Virgin now as there is currently a 30% bonus for the transfer. We also have 148,000 miles in United, but the flight options that I’m seeing with miles on United from the east coast are are either ridiculously convoluted or ridiculously high. We want business class seats (or higher).

If we transfer the Chase points to Virgin, it looks like we’d have enough for first class on ANA one way at least, or biz class r/t easily. The cost of the fees and taxes sound high but certainly a lot less than the cash fares. So, what are the downsides to transferring my Chase points? And, if we were able to book on ANA but had to cancel, would we get the miles as well as the taxes/fees refunded?

Last edited by progol; Oct 6, 2022 at 7:05 am
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by progol
This is a very helpful post. I am very much a newbie to the miles game. My husband and I are planning to go to Japan mid-October 2023 from NYC and Im considering transferring our Chase points (168,000) to Virgin now as there is currently a 30% bonus for the transfer. We also have 148,000 miles in United, but the flight options that Im seeing with miles on United from the east coast are are either ridiculously convoluted or ridiculously high. We want business class seats (or higher).

If we transfer the Chase points to Virgin, it looks like wed have enough for first class on ANA one way at least, or biz class r/t easily. The cost of the fees and taxes sound high but certainly a lot less than the cash fares. So, what are the downsides to transferring my Chase points? And, if we were able to book on ANA but had to cancel, would we get the miles as well as the taxes/fees refunded?

There is very little availability for these J/F seats. The downsides is that you won't be able to find availability and will have stranded points in VS.

Yes, you can cancel the flights at any time and it will only cost you $50 per person to do so, but all taxes, fees and miles will get refunded (to VS).
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:43 pm

This is a very helpful post. I am very much a newbie to the miles game. My husband and I are planning to go to Japan mid-October 2023 from NYC and I’m considering transferring our Chase points (168,000) to Virgin now as there is currently a 30% bonus for the transfer. We also have 148,000 miles in United, but the flight options that I’m seeing with miles on United from the east coast are are either ridiculously convoluted or ridiculously high. We want business class seats (or higher).

If we transfer the Chase points to Virgin, it looks like we’d have enough for first class on ANA one way at least, or biz class r/t easily. The cost of the fees and taxes sound high but certainly a lot less than the cash fares. So, what are the downsides to transferring my Chase points? And, if we were able to book on ANA but had to cancel, would we get the miles as well as the taxes/fees refunded?
I wouldn't transfer points on a whim, too many unknowns. Especially with VS joining Skyteam, i.e. will you be able to book ANA awards once they become a Skyteam member? F/J award availability is scarce but it is there, especially when you're traveling in the near future. I was able to snag 2 J seats from LAX to HND and 2 F seats from NRT to LAX for travel about 3 weeks out. You need to check the United award calendar frequently, i.e. several times a day, for your travel dates. I used Amex points to book VS awards, unfortunately a few days too late for the transfer bonus. It's a shame but still a crazy deal. Having 180K VS Points sitting there waiting for a very limited chance to redeem them seems like too much risk and trouble.

Last edited by whipwhitaker; Oct 6, 2022 at 12:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:09 pm

Thanks, digh and whipwhitaker,
After too much time exploring the pros and cons, I’ve come to the conclusion that it doesn’t make sense to transfer the Chase points, despite the temptation of the 30% bonus. But ohh, the temptation!
digh27 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:10 pm

Thanks, digh and whipwhitaker,
After too much time exploring the pros and cons, Ive come to the conclusion that it doesnt make sense to transfer the Chase points, despite the temptation of the 30% bonus. But ohh, the temptation!
You have all month to transfer points with the bonus. Check the United award calendar frequently for your dates. If something opens up, get on the phone with VS and let them hold the flights while you're transferring the points. It's only the 6th

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.