Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good and bad with the Virgin Australia redemptions I mentioned up thread. Called the UK line and got a very helpful agent who explained that partner bookings have to be queued for an availability response. She did so for SYD-NAN and POM-BNE, popped me on hold and came back 2 minutes later with the good news the bookings had been confirmed.

The bad news is only Y was possible using miles (20K per sector plus taxes). So I declined.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
only Y was possible using miles
This is disappointing. I was hoping to be able to use VS miles on a VA flight from the US in the future, but doing it sat in Y wasn't exactly what I had in mind
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:14 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by bristoldave
This is disappointing. I was hoping to be able to use VS miles on a VA flight from the US in the future, but doing it sat in Y wasn't exactly what I had in mind
There is apparently no problem redeeming miles for long haul flights in business - it is just 'internal' flights that are Y only - that was the whole issue of Swanhunter's thread elsewhere in the forum.

See here for details - http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...australia.html

Nick
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
The latest chart on the VS website infers that the only redemptions now available with VS points are internal economy tickets.
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...n-airways.html

This appears to be yet another 'enhancement' of the ongoing VS partner airlines fiasco.

Nick
Is this confirmed? Anyone had any luck booking international flights since the change?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
I tried using VS to VX from Cancun to LAX one way, but the first rep said "none of their partners service that route." After being confused and telling her VX does, I decided to hang up and try again. This time I got a really nice and helpful gentleman, he found 2 first class tickets on the same exact flight.

I then transferred Citi Thank You points and to my surprise it was an instant transfer. Thankfully, when I called back I got the same helpful rep and he booked the tickets for 20k each plus around $47 in Mexico taxes!

The cheapest non-stop flights on any airline in economy are going for $450+. Granted seats are plenty on some flights, but didn't have any flexibility on dates since we're going there for a wedding. I feel like I got a great deal to say the least.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: VS Gold, QF Gold
I just booked a RT flight for Mrs JF on VX JFK-LAS in MCS (for the second time, they only were showing A class award availability, no Y). Her dates are firm, so had to bite the bullet and spend 2x what a Y booking would've been.

Involved the usual 20 minute phone call and I didn't get the confirmation for a couple of days, but it's all sorted.

50k miles and $11 USD all-in.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:15 pm

VS used to book VX RT LAX to CUN

Just booked RT LAX to CUN on VX using VS. Called into the number for US above to find availablity. Transferred AMEX MR to VS (transfer was instant). 80k points for two people RT with $150 in taxes/fees. E-ticket received in < 2 hours.

all in all process took about 20-30 minutes on the phone and about an hour an half for the e-ticket to be emailed to me. RT 1st class tickets on this flight would have cost me $5,500 USD. Got a helluva deal for these tix.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

Virgin mentions the option to use points on ANA to Japan.

Does anyone how many miles that would be NYC-Tokyo roundtrip Business or First and how good/bad the availability is (as I would need to collect the miles but want to make sure I can book a reward - reflexible timing).

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Hi,

Virgin mentions the option to use points on ANA to Japan.

Does anyone how many miles that would be NYC-Tokyo roundtrip Business or First and how good/bad the availability is (as I would need to collect the miles but want to make sure I can book a reward - reflexible timing).

Thanks!
Early last year, Virgin Atlantic published this particular award chart to fly on ANA on its UK website. I was able to book 1 business class between SFO and Tokyo, and between SFO and CGK. The SFO-CGK award was a pain because the agent insisted on breaking the award into to segments: SFO-NRT and NRT-CGK. But because the previous award chart showed an example of LHR-NRT-SIN all on ANA being calculated as one award instead of two, I insisted with the agent to look at their website. Eventually the agent talked to a supervisor and was able to get my award as 1. If I remember correctly, I was gonna be charged for 160,000 miles, but they got it down to 110,000 miles (as shown in the award chart). It took me a few times to get this though as I had to talk to at least 3 to 4 different agents.

Now, the only ANA award chart you can find is by going to their Chinese language website (but not China-English site). Go here for the Chinese version. If you don't read Chinese, you can use translation plug-in on Google Chrome to translate.

I think Virgin took a page out of Delta playbook's "If we don't publish award chart, we do not have to train our agents to be competent and they can charge whatever miles they want for awards."
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Please report experiences of booking Partner Airline flights using VS points.

Pinkblanket thanks so much. That help in getting a ballpark figure ( as I plan to travel in 2018 things will change anyway but it is good to have a minimum now and a better idea 1 year before the planned journey).
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:30 am

With VX opening up new routes to Hawaii, anyone know what the rates are for SFO/LAX to Hawaii booking through VS?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:58 pm

I try to book a flight with Virgin Atlantic direct with them not partner airline, but before i transfer my point from citi to Virgin. Do your guys know how long it usually take the point to be transfer? this is the first time i redeem point with them so i just want to be sure before i send the mile over thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:37 pm

not sure with Citi but when I transferred my AMEX MR it was instant.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Pinkblanket thanks so much. That help in getting a ballpark figure ( as I plan to travel in 2018 things will change anyway but it is good to have a minimum now and a better idea 1 year before the planned journey).
FYI, ANA used to have award chart flying on ANA based on distance traveled. Now, ANA uses an award chart based on which region you fly from and to, which is similar to most award charts such as AA and United.

This means that sooner or later, VS may charge Flying Club miles flying on ANA based on regions, not distance traveled. Don't be surprised if they do that.

When ANA charged award based on distance, the awards were slightly cheaper than Flying Club award chart flying on ANA. I think, if you don't want to be disappointed, go to ANA website. Check out which region you are going to fly from and to, and then see how much ANA charges for flying on ANA. That should give you a minimum ballpark figure how much Flying Club will charge (IF they change the award chart). Of course, this is all speculations. See here for a blog post on ANA old award chart and see here for a blog post on Virgin Atlantic award chart flying on ANA.

Keep in mind that finding one J or F seat from U.S. to Japan and vice versa is quite easy. Finding two J or F seats can be a little challenge.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I just spoke to Flying Club today about booking J from PER-SYD (I wasn't sure based on the website and this thread whether it was possible and how many miles it would be).

The website says for Virgin Australia that "On domestic flights guests have a choice of either Business Class or Economy."

The agent seemed to think it was fine to book J, given availability. Problem, agent could not see availability in any class even though the VA website shows many flights available at the standard economy and business award redemption rates. Virgin America Elevate could see the availability fine.

I asked to confirm the price, and was told 20,000 one-way in J, even though others here report 20,000 is for Y?

Does VS see different availability? If so-- any way to check without calling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.