Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by pinkblanket
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzen

Pinkblanket thanks so much. That help in getting a ballpark figure ( as I plan to travel in 2018 things will change anyway but it is good to have a minimum now and a better idea 1 year before the planned journey).

FYI, ANA used to have award chart flying on ANA based on distance traveled. Now, ANA uses an award chart based on which region you fly from and to, which is similar to most award charts such as AA and United.

This means that sooner or later, VS may charge Flying Club miles flying on ANA based on regions, not distance traveled. Don't be surprised if they do that.

When ANA charged award based on distance, the awards were slightly cheaper than Flying Club award chart flying on ANA. I think, if you don't want to be disappointed, go to ANA website. Check out which region you are going to fly from and to, and then see how much ANA charges for flying on ANA. That should give you a minimum ballpark figure how much Flying Club will charge (IF they change the award chart). Of course, this is all speculations. See here for a blog post on ANA old award chart and see here for a blog post on Virgin Atlantic award chart flying on ANA.

Keep in mind that finding one J or F seat from U.S. to Japan and vice versa is quite easy. Finding two J or F seats can be a little challenge.
My plans are still a couple of years out so everything is a challenge and up to be changed upside down.
But good to have a ballpark figure goal
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:26 pm

Stumbled across this thread while trying to find the best use of my 140k CSP points to get to NRT from FAR or MSP on 7/25 returning on 8/8 for 1 on DL.

I called VS CS earlier today and was told they were showing no award availability for those dates. So I can verify it seems like like these seats are scarce and/or CS doesn't know what they are doing. dl.com shows N/R/O availability for the segments
I need, but I'm still kinda confused about what the different codes mean.

It's really disappointing that I finally have a trip I was pumped to be using points on, only to find out it's a no-go.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
I used VS miles to book VX travel from BOS-LAX round trip. I had very specific dates and flight requirements. I got the exact flights I wanted, through, not the class. I wanted Y, but I got one way Y and one way F for a roundtrip price of 50k, the cash price for all Y was over $500. I had miles available to use on VS, AA, DL, and UA. VS was the only source with the availability at the "low" level that had availability. I was happy.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:04 am

whats VX availability like using VS points? If theres availability on VX's website will it be available through VS?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
whats VX availability like using VS points? If theres availability on VX's website will it be available through VS?
You need to call VS. VX have dynamic rewards so yo can't tell.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:57 pm

Gulf Air missing from Flying Club partner list

Was looking to book Gulf Air flight from London using Flying Club miles. Just checked Virgin Atlantic UK website and Gulf Air is missing from the partner list. Have they been dropped as a partner? I did not see any announcement.

TK.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by takhliq1
Was looking to book Gulf Air flight from London using Flying Club miles. Just checked Virgin Atlantic UK website and Gulf Air is missing from the partner list. Have they been dropped as a partner? I did not see any announcement.

TK.
Gulf Air partnership ended months ago - middle of 2015. There was an announcement on the website and it was discussed here.

Nick
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
I had a not-so-bad experience booking an ANA award through the USA call center. The first agent couldn't find availability, but on a second call I had a booking done in 12 minutes and the reservation was ticketed about three days later.

They had no problem putting the award on a 24 hour hold while I transferred in the required points.

In advance of the call I had found the availability through ANA's web site so I could just give the agent the flight numbers. I didn't get the impression VS had the ability to easily search it themselves.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lyniguez
not sure with Citi but when I transferred my AMEX MR it was instant.
Citi transfer too is now instantaneous, as does Chase, FYI.

No problem booking awards on ANA, VS can see availability matching that of ANA's own website. It's possible some agents are not as well trained as others, I haven't seen one yet, so do note down the extension of those with whom you have worked with before that have proven to be successful. Alternatively, it's a matter of hang up and call back. Generally speaking, VS has no trouble seeing ANA availability but this appears not to apply to some other airline partners.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zimne
Here you go:

Fare GBP 0.00
Taxes/Fees/Charges/Carrier Imposed Surcharges YR300.00 GB142.00 XT56.56
Total GBP 498.56

PSNGR CREDIT CARD FEE GBP 7.48

Moderate YQ IMO
Given that the award only cost 75K miles, the high surcharges are somewhat acceptable. That said, one can frame this as being an award that comes with over $1000 CAD in surcharges, which will send most people in the AC forum flying with such red herring. It appears the Brits are so conditioned being ripped off that an award that comes with over $1000 CAD in surcharges is called "moderate".

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Thanks zimne! A reasonable price indeed for a r/t in F.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the YQ is like when redeeming for a F on ANA?
Yes, the answer is a big zero, thank you very much. My tax bill is a grand total of $51 USD, consisting exclusively of Japanese and US government taxes for a USA-Japan-USA return trip. YQ is regulated in Japan, this means even the like of BA can't camouflage scam charges as carrier imposed surcharge when flying ex-Japan, it is simply not allowed. At this time, there is no surcharge on any Japanese carriers by law.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
Thumbs up Used VS points to successfully book DL J award - JFK to EDI

Just realized that I had posted this as a DL award success a couple of days back on the DL forum, but it's really a VS points success on a partner!

I got 2 DL J tickets from JFK to EDI for September 2016. It showed up as available on the DL website, and I called VS and they found it right away - no trouble at all.

I think it helped that I was booking a non-stop flight. I had trouble earlier this month booking a DL award that required a connection (it showed as available on both the DL and AF websites, but VS couldn't book).

Also, while on the phone with VS, I transferred both AmEx points and Citi Thank You points. Both transferred instantly, and I got the Citi bonus immediately as well since they're offering a promotion for transfers to VS.

All in all, a very good experience! The taxes for the J award came to just over $250 per person, and it only required 100k VS miles versus the 125k DL. It took almost exactly 24 hours for the reservation to ticket.

Woohoo!

Now, I just need to test whether we get access to the Clubhouse at JFK. I assume yes as we're flying DL One from North America to the UK, but I guess I had always thought it was really for those on the LHR flights. I haven't seen any experience of anyone flying DL J to MAN and trying to access the Clubhouse but unless Scotland secedes in the next 5 months, I think we'll be ok!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
What's the award mileage requirement for NH NRT- EU?

Does anyone know how many miles I need to redeem NRT-EU in J or F using FC points?

I take it that its still for round trip only....

And my next question is ... who would be the most competent office to book this?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:50 am

Stopover on NH

I want to book DEL-NRT, HND-KIX-HND, NRT-DEL on NH in economy with stopovers in Tokyo in outbound as well as inbound.

Would this require two awards, one for DEL-NRT-DEL and other for HND-KIX-HND?

And would it be any different if the stopover is only once, i.e., outbound or inbound?

I called the agent in USA and she said that to travel from DEL to KIX via NRT, it would be two awards irrespective of any stopovers.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by vikasr
I want to book DEL-NRT, HND-KIX-HND, NRT-DEL on NH in economy with stopovers in Tokyo in outbound as well as inbound.

Would this require two awards, one for DEL-NRT-DEL and other for HND-KIX-HND?

And would it be any different if the stopover is only once, i.e., outbound or inbound?

I called the agent in USA and she said that to travel from DEL to KIX via NRT, it would be two awards irrespective of any stopovers.
The agent seems to be correct. VS website used to show this together with the award chart:
Spending miles:
Stopovers in Japan of more than 24 hours will be classed as 2 separate redemptions. A connection in Japan of less than 24 hours will be classed as 1 redemption.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geclub1
The agent seems to be correct. VS website used to show this together with the award chart:
No the agent is wrong. If you read carefully this thread, this was already discussed not so long ago. Flying Club's website still shows the stopover rule:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/zh_tw...bfSubmit1.x=26

Originally Posted by Flying Club
Spending miles:
Stopovers in Japan of more than 24 hours will be classed as 2 separate redemptions. A connection in Japan of less than 24 hours will be classed as 1 redemption.
Any transportation on the ground other than at destination will be considered as stopover.
Code share flights with NH flight prefix operated by Air Canada, Lufthansa, United Airlines, Varig, Brazilian Airlines and bmi will not be applicable for award travel.
Qualifying code share flights with NH flight prefix operated by Air Japan, Air Nippon, Ibex Airlines Star Flyer, Hokkaido International Airlines/Air Do. Skynet Asia do qualify for award travel.
Japan internal sector i.e., Japan domestic sector, using other carrier operated flights which show NH flight prefix is applicable for redemption of miles. Blackouts may apply

Seat are subject to availability.

A minimum of 7 days notice is required to secure a reservation.
The website went as far as giving the following example:

Originally Posted by Flying Club
E.G. London-Tokyo-Singapore return is 12,440 miles + 6624 = 19,064 miles in total. Therefore if you are travelling on NH in Economy, you will need to redeem 80,000 miles for this journey. Please refer to table above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.