Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Just called VS to book ORD-NRT roundtrip in NH F.

Took about twenty minutes and featured such antics as the agent having never heard of ANA (though "All Nippon" was fine), holding while the agent called ANA to check availability, holding while the agent called the pricing desk to manually price the taxes, and waiting for a return phone call.

Return phone call came about 15 minutes later with a confirmation number. But it's been two more hours and my card still hasn't been charged nor have I gotten the confirmation email.

Edited to add: the confirmation email and e-ticket number came another hour later. So not the easiest process ever—booking online would have been much easier, for example—but everything worked out just fine. 120K miles + $49.86 all in.

Last edited by puls; Apr 25, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
No YQ on NH?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
No YQ on NH?
Kinda sorta. VS does pass YQ through, but the Japanese airlines are really reasonable as to how much YQ they charge. And with oil prices as crazy low as they are right now, the YQ amount is sitting right around zero.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by puls
Just called VS to book ORD-NRT roundtrip in NH F.

Took about twenty minutes and featured such antics as the agent having never heard of ANA (though "All Nippon" was fine), holding while the agent called ANA to check availability, holding while the agent called the pricing desk to manually price the taxes, and waiting for a return phone call.

Return phone call came about 15 minutes later with a confirmation number. But it's been two more hours and my card still hasn't been charged nor have I gotten the confirmation email.

Edited to add: the confirmation email and e-ticket number came another hour later. So not the easiest process ever—booking online would have been much easier, for example—but everything worked out just fine. 120K miles + $49.86 all in.
120K VS miles for NH ORD-NRT roundtrip? Hot damn
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Colin
120K VS miles for NH ORD-NRT roundtrip? Hot damn
Or 95K in J.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:34 pm

The ANA option might make the difference to me keeping the Virgin CC and the 2 points per £ which is so good. I also hear ANA aren't shabby at all?
Old May 3, 2016, 5:22 am

Just deliberating whether to give up my VS CCs as their Amex is so good for accumulating miles.

What is the general experience with NH availability?
I read somewhere Singapore are opening up some of their aircraft which were traditionally excluded? I remember looking all round Europe and think I could only find Copenhagen on old, old metal.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by wavery83
What is the general experience with NH availability?
From my experience, for premium cabins on popular routes, 1 seat is probably the best you can expect. We've even failed to get 1 seat in Y on LHR-HND.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
From my experience, for premium cabins on popular routes, 1 seat is probably the best you can expect. We've even failed to get 1 seat in Y on LHR-HND.
Thanks. Assume the availability is better with the actual airline loyalty card? I'm getting the impression VS points are 2nd class citizen with their partners?
Old May 4, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Thanks. Assume the availability is better with the actual airline loyalty card? I'm getting the impression VS points are 2nd class citizen with their partners?
I get that impression, but have only ever tried ANA redemptions.

Further up this thread, people seem to have done pretty well with Air China between UK and Beijing.

Partners on VS miles is like a black box - not even the VS agents seem to know much about what might be possible...
Old May 4, 2016, 5:31 am

Haha...I get why though. It is a loyalty card for Virgin Atlantic at the end of the day. But if they had a more interesting route network this wouldn't be a problem!
Old May 4, 2016, 9:27 am

But if they had a more interesting route network this wouldn't be a problem!
Completely agree!
Old May 5, 2016, 3:01 am

Morning,
I thought I'd do a little experiment with the Crawley (guessing?) call centre.
They came back with nothing for SQ and ANA in November and April 17.
They did say 6 - 8 weeks out is the best time to book as they send a request to the airline and they receive a response within 24hrs.
Not sure if this is the experience of others?
KrisMiles seems to be the opposite - all waitlisting close in but you can book without trouble for flights in Nov & April 17. No idea about ANA.
I was also quoted 120k LHR - SIN SQ & 130k LHR - HND NH.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:05 am

I was also quoted 120k LHR - SIN SQ & 130k LHR - HND NH.
1pax in J I presume?
Old May 5, 2016, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
1pax in J I presume?
Yes. I didn't clarify!

My search request was based on 2 pax so don't know if 1 would have anything but she suggested the SQ flights were completely open but nothing for FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.