Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Does anyone know how many miles I need to redeem NRT-EU in J or F using FC points?

I take it that its still for round trip only....

And my next question is ... who would be the most competent office to book this?
95K for J, 120K for F roundtrip given that NRT/HND to most European destinations is between 11001 and 14000 miles.

Just call the US or UK office.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Guava
No the agent is wrong. If you read carefully this thread, this was already discussed not so long ago. Flying Club's website still shows the stopover rule:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/zh_tw...bfSubmit1.x=26
What you quoted is the same as what I quoted:
A stopover in Japan breaks the award into two.

That makes the agent correct. Can you explain why you believe the agent was wrong. Or maybe can you elaborate what will be valid itin in OP's case and we can discuss further.

Also, let's agree that a stopover is defined as a layover of >24hours and a layover of <=24hours is defined as connection.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geclub1
What you quoted is the same as what I quoted:
A stopover in Japan breaks the award into two.

That makes the agent correct. Can you explain why you believe the agent was wrong. Or maybe can you elaborate what will be valid itin in OP's case and we can discuss further.

Also, let's agree that a stopover is defined as a layover of >24hours and a layover of <=24hours is defined as connection.
My mistake, I misread the question as whether a connection of less than 24 hours will break the award into two. Now that I re-read the question, the member wants a greater than 24 hours stopover in NRT, that will definitely require 2 awards, my apologies for the confusion.

Some VS agents have been telling people, incorrectly, that they can't connect via Japan enroute to their final destination when in fact, they can, as long as they don't stay in Japan for more than 24 hours that is.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by global_b
Now, I just need to test whether we get access to the Clubhouse at JFK. I assume yes as we're flying DL One from North America to the UK, but I guess I had always thought it was really for those on the LHR flights. I haven't seen any experience of anyone flying DL J to MAN and trying to access the Clubhouse but unless Scotland secedes in the next 5 months, I think we'll be ok!
You should be fine. The Delta site says access is for "Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge access is available at select locations to Delta One™ and Upper Class passengers and Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members with a same-day nonstop transatlantic flight between North America and the U.K. that is operated by Delta or Virgin Atlantic."

Edinburgh is definitely across the Atlantic.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
My mistake, I misread the question as whether a connection of less than 24 hours will break the award into two. Now that I re-read the question, the member wants a greater than 24 hours stopover in NRT, that will definitely require 2 awards, my apologies for the confusion.

Some VS agents have been telling people, incorrectly, that they can't connect via Japan enroute to their final destination when in fact, they can, as long as they don't stay in Japan for more than 24 hours that is.
OK. Now we are on the same page.
To answer OP's question:
DEL-TYO-KIX-TYO-DEL
would be one award, if none of the connections at TYO (NRT and/or HND) is more than 24 hours.
If any of the connections at TYO is over 24 hours, it is a stopover and a stopover breaks the award into two.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:56 am

Now the rule is clear to me.
The FC website i was looking at earlier did not specify the stopover rule.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
95K for J, 120K for F roundtrip given that NRT/HND to most European destinations is between 11001 and 14000 miles.

Just call the US or UK office.
Thank you. A very kind FT member had PM me the number required already. Still it is very kind of you to respond.

I will have exactly enough miles for a F roundtrip / open jaw award (to LHR, out of FRA to avoid the tax)

And no YQ/YR from Japan now either!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Thank you. A very kind FT member had PM me the number required already. Still it is very kind of you to respond.

I will have exactly enough miles for a F roundtrip / open jaw award (to LHR, out of FRA to avoid the tax)

And no YQ/YR from Japan now either!
Do let us know if you can open jaw an ANA award at destination, that is unclear from the rules.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:31 pm

Does anyone have recent experience booking VX using VS for short routes? I called today for LAX-SFO was quoted for 7500 for Main Cabin (VS site says 10000 r/t) and 12500 for Main Cabin Select return (site says 15000 r/t). Is that table just outdated?

Also I think it's been noted earlier, but wild inconsistencies on what's available. Sometimes the cash cost is $59 o/w and call center will say no MC available, only MCS. On the same day, same route, there might be an $119 o/w and MC is available....
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Malaysian First Class LHR-KUL

Hi

I just wondered if anyone had any success in booking this routing with Virgin? I believe it is in theory available but not sure if there is any good way to check if seat maybe available on a specific date?

Also I assume if we want to fly onwards to DPS then we would need to make a second booking and cannot all be done under one mileage cost?

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Hi

I just wondered if anyone had any success in booking this routing with Virgin? I believe it is in theory available but not sure if there is any good way to check if seat maybe available on a specific date?

Also I assume if we want to fly onwards to DPS then we would need to make a second booking and cannot all be done under one mileage cost?

Thanks
You can approximate availability using BA Avios. MH keeps some inventory for their own members, so if you use BA to verify availability online, then it should come very close. Mind you, MH First is very mediocre these days, and MH has absurdly high surcharges.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
You can approximate availability using BA Avios. MH keeps some inventory for their own members, so if you use BA to verify availability online, then it should come very close. Mind you, MH First is very mediocre these days, and MH has absurdly high surcharges.
Thanks, I wasnt sure if BA system would likely be the same as they release to Virgin. I dont disagree in regards the MH First offering compared to how it was a couple of years ago but as a hard product it is pretty good to sleep and as the Singapore flights from London all feature on aircraft that they exclude from Virgin then seems a reasonable miles option in First to SE Asia!

Was the Virgin agent correct in that if I want to travel onwards to DPS I will need to book a seperate ticket and cannot be done on one ticket.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:01 pm

Anyone know how far ahead you can book these? Is it limited by how far VS' schedule is loaded or can you book further ahead if the partner loads further out?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:27 pm

In January 2016, I tried to book two sets of tickets for March. ANA from SEL-TYO and OSA-TPE. It was not possible to find seats in any class. I also tried to book Air China from Hong Kong to Chengdu. I was told that only flights from LHR-Beijing could be booked on Air China and that no bookings were currently being allowed for this route.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:21 pm

Success! Took me three calls and about 2 hours on the phone to get it, but eventually an agent was able to book me Perth - Christmas Island - Cocos (Keeling) Islands - Perth on Virgin Australia. Cost 55k miles plus around £55 in tax (one class service so Eco only).

It's a pricy route normally so am pretty pleased. What a faff though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.