Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I doubt you were charged YQ for both legs.
NZ does not charge YQ for flight ex-NZ. However, the PVG-AKL flight does have an YQ component of £102.1 in the revenue fare.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
I'm trying to book a simple DL domestic flight that shows lowest level availability on delta.com. Two agents have now told me that this is not possible because "this route is not in their system." It's a simple regional airport to hub to regional airport route, nothing weird and no long layovers. The second agent "looked into it" and said it's because the route is served by Delta Connection, not Delta. Does anyone know if it's true that we're only allowed to book Delta mainline? My airport only has connection flights, so this would be a big blow to my newly acquired VS points.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:34 pm

Trying to book SEA <-> EZE

Virgin Atlantic says 45,000 miles roundtrip which is a pretty good deal. So I find an outbound flight on Delta's page with the lowest redemption (30,000 one way) and call Virgin Atlantic to book it.

They explain that the cost is 45,000 miles PER SEGMENT. So I'm trying to book Sea -> MSP -> ATL -> EZE and she says it'll cost 135,000 miles.

Seems crazy since I could just book a separate award SEA -> ATL and pay only the mileage rate for within North America.

Am I missing something here?

I suppose I'll just book a cheap flight to ATL on Southwest and then hop on the Delta flight to EZE.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Call again.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Does VS charge YQ on SAA awards?
Cheers
Howie
Can you redeem on SAA?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by wavery83
Can you redeem on SAA?
Yes in theory - http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en...n-airways.html

The redemption section has very confusing wording though

Nick
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:25 am

The UK call centre is appalling. For a CA flight I can see First award availability on both airchina.com and united.com but all the UK VS agents I dealt with insisted that there are nothing available. So I called the Shanghai call centre and problem solved. Don’t know if it’s not adequate training or something.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:54 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
That is awful. How many UK agents did you speak to?

It really does seem that VS UK don't want you to spend their points with anyone else - just about all the 'success stories' on this board involve outstations sorting it out for pax

I would be tempted to complain.

Nick
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:05 pm

Have to pay for each leg of flight?

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Call again.
I called again and while the agent agreed that for the first leg of an international itinerary, I'd only have to pay the "within North America" rate, she says I will have to pay for each leg separately.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? If I book SEA -> ATL -> EZE, do I have to pay 25,000 miles for the round trip to ATL, and then separately pay 45,000 miles for the round trip from ATL to EZE?

It wouldn't be too surprising, as this is kind of how BA works, but I want to make sure I'm getting accurate info from the customer service agents.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by mrdeke
I called again and while the agent agreed that for the first leg of an international itinerary, I'd only have to pay the "within North America" rate, she says I will have to pay for each leg separately.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? If I book SEA -> ATL -> EZE, do I have to pay 25,000 miles for the round trip to ATL, and then separately pay 45,000 miles for the round trip from ATL to EZE?

It wouldn't be too surprising, as this is kind of how BA works, but I want to make sure I'm getting accurate info from the customer service agents.
No way!

For example, one of my latest booking is: SJC-SEA-HND-LAX-SJC on DL in Business and it was 120K round trip per the award chart for "From USA to Asia."
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by micned
I'm trying to book a simple DL domestic flight that shows lowest level availability on delta.com. Two agents have now told me that this is not possible because "this route is not in their system." It's a simple regional airport to hub to regional airport route, nothing weird and no long layovers. The second agent "looked into it" and said it's because the route is served by Delta Connection, not Delta. Does anyone know if it's true that we're only allowed to book Delta mainline? My airport only has connection flights, so this would be a big blow to my newly acquired VS points.

bumping this. my boyfriend is moving to Wisconsin and looking at LAX-MSP/DTW-ATW redemptions. Want to know if I will be able to redeem at 25,000 r/t (esp w/i 25% Citi TY transfer bonus)
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
Yes in theory - http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en...n-airways.html

The redemption section has very confusing wording though

Nick
Exactly!! It says one thing in the table and then something completely different in the text. I got a nice message from they support email which directed me to this call centre so really none the wiser. It can't be that hard to have some proper information so pax can be informed about their options!?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:45 am

Thumbs down

It really does seem that VS UK don't want you to spend their points with anyone else - just about all the 'success stories' on this board involve outstations sorting it out for pax

Nick
About four I’ve spoken to. All of them couldn’t see any CA seats. I asked a lady to double check and I think she was offended.

Last edited by zimne; Jun 26, 2015 at 4:57 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:11 am

Nick
Seems the trick to get the seats is to tell the agent to manually request them. There won’t be anything showing on their screen if the automated search engine is used. This time I asked to be transferred to an upper class agent, and finally got things sorted. I mean 75K miles F return with CA is heck of a deal but the process is so dreadful that I really don’t want to deal with them again.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SW, Virgin America
Booked 2 RT flights from SFO -> NRT on ANA for March 2016 yesterday morning calling the US Flying Club number. The call lasted about 30 minutes including time on hold and the agent was very friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.