Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: ANA DIA+SFC, BAEC Gold, CX Diamond, HH Dia, SPG Gold, IHC Plat
Originally Posted by dhoward
Thank you. Great tip!

Did availability via HK office match ANA website?

Shame there is rarely availability on ANA from Europe
Yes, I was checking availability with ANA website, and the were plenty of seats available that week in first class. With the UK FC people (4 different ones) insisting no seats available, and reading this thread about using the Japan office prompted me to try HKG and it worked!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Delta has a reward flight available MEX - SJO for 17,500 + $62 which seems good value.
I know that I'll need to phone but is this flight likely to be bookable with my Virgin miles?
Looking at ita Matrix the flight is operated by AeroMexico, no-one else flies direct.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
You won't be able to book codeshare flights using VS miles.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks, I did wonder about that.
Back to AA then MEX - MIA - SJO 10,000 miles + £51
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by benberg2013
I have a flight from LHR - MAN, leaving from T2 i think, this is little red flight. I saw somewhere that it is bookable with VS, but is operated by Aer lingus, and then I think I saw somewhere that the livery (assumably the metal) is VS? What should I expect?

Also, I have VS silver, but this would not get me into the lounge as far as i know, but Is it possible to be guested, or do VS not have a rule like that?
I take it you've taken is flight now as VS are about to stop the route? If not, pm me your flight details. I'm in this route twice a week so can answer most of your questions.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, CX Gold, AA, UA, DL
Awards on DL metal originating in Europe DO attract fuel surcharges

Originally Posted by dhoward
I thought that there had been reports that awards on Delta originating in Europe did not attract fuel surcharges when booked via VS?
No longer true. Awards issued by VS for DL flights originating in Europe attract a hefty fuel surcharge. I rang VS today and was quoted YQ of £288 for a return LHR-JFK trip (in addition to the "real" taxes of £200 or so).

On the plus side, I can report that VS allow 48-hour holds for such bookings.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a newbie who gets awards just by tranferring Amex miles to VS (they are currently doing a 25% bonus until April 30), I have only used the VS miles to and from LHR and only on VS. I was thinking of trying to use awards on other carriers but the vagueness on the VS website combined with this thread have just about convinced me not to bother.

It seems that the only carriers where one can check availability online are ANA and Virgin Australia, by going to those sites. But even if, say, I find availability on ANA (which I could use, I go to Japan regularly), how do I know how many miles on VS that I will need? Is calling the only option? I don't want to transfer from Amex before knowing all that since the transfer cannot be reversed.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

P.S. Having just taken my first VS upper class flight in a long time, I have to say that while the experience is acceptable, it feels quite dated and in need of a refresh.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
As a newbie who gets awards just by tranferring Amex miles to VS (they are currently doing a 25% bonus until April 30), I have only used the VS miles to and from LHR and only on VS. I was thinking of trying to use awards on other carriers but the vagueness on the VS website combined with this thread have just about convinced me not to bother.

It seems that the only carriers where one can check availability online are ANA and Virgin Australia, by going to those sites. But even if, say, I find availability on ANA (which I could use, I go to Japan regularly), how do I know how many miles on VS that I will need? Is calling the only option? I don't want to transfer from Amex before knowing all that since the transfer cannot be reversed.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

P.S. Having just taken my first VS upper class flight in a long time, I have to say that while the experience is acceptable, it feels quite dated and in need of a refresh.
The UK version of the Virgin Atlantic site has mileage charts for nearly all the partners including ANA: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...n-airways.html

Redemptions on ANA are distance-based and mirror ANA's own (old) chart. You should be able to check availability for ANA on United's web site. Availability could be different, but it will probably be the same. You could then call VS and book the flight if you find an agent who knows what to do.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:11 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by micned
The UK version of the Virgin Atlantic site has mileage charts for nearly all the partners including ANA: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...n-airways.html

Redemptions on ANA are distance-based and mirror ANA's own (old) chart. You should be able to check availability for ANA on United's web site. Availability could be different, but it will probably be the same. You could then call VS and book the flight if you find an agent who knows what to do.
Ahh, thanks, I had checked a few on the US site and they all said to call. It has them for ANA, that is very helpful as SFO-NRT is about 10,500 round trip. Interestingly, the premium for F over C isn't very much, 110k vs 90k. I can check availability on the ANA site. They tend to have pretty good availability.

Any tips to find an agent who can help or do I just do what was suggested earlier and call the VS Hong Kong office?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 23, 2015 at 5:18 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Ahh, thanks, I had checked a few on the US site and they all said to call. It has them for ANA, that is very helpful as SFO-NRT is about 10,500 round trip. Interestingly, the premium for F over C isn't very much, 110k vs 90k. I can check availability on the ANA site. They tend to have pretty good availability.

Any tips to find an agent who can help or do I just do what was suggested earlier and call the VS Hong Kong office?
It's strange they don't just copy and paste the award redemption information from the UK site to the US one. It would be nice if it were easier to find.

I don't have any tips on actually booking an award on ANA through VS as I've never done it myself. If you learn anything useful when you go through the process, please let us know
Old May 29, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: BA
Newbie here, how do you find DL award availability and book using VS miles?
Old May 29, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Suggest checking dl.com for the lowest level of availability and then calling VS.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Can we book oneway DL awards ex-US/Canada to Europe?

Oh never mind..

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...air-lines.html

Last edited by Guy Betsy; May 30, 2015 at 1:38 pm
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:16 pm

Talking ANZ J redemption success

Managed to find J award space on Air New Zealand PVG-AKL NZ288 and AKL-NRT NZ99 on United.com, both flights operated by 787-9. Called Virgin and the nice lady was able to confirm the availability and booked the seats for me. 80,000 miles plus £32.8 taxes, quite a deal! Seems VS didn’t charge YQ for the PVG-AKL leg.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by zimne
Managed to find J award space on Air New Zealand PVG-AKL NZ288 and AKL-NRT NZ99 on United.com, both flights operated by 787-9. Called Virgin and the nice lady was able to confirm the availability and booked the seats for me. 80,000 miles plus £32.8 taxes, quite a deal! Seems VS didn’t charge YQ for the PVG-AKL leg.
I doubt you were charged YQ for both legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.