Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
I noticed the same mention of the companion cert in the mailing. I also thought 2014 was the last year for this. My card renews in January, so I will pay up and see if I get the cert, and hope to get the Silver Aviator offer after the merger.

I also have the BoA Visa. I have seen no info from them regarding what will happen with the card benefits next year. I called the bank twice to ask about the 10,000 Preferred Miles conversion, and both times I was told to call USAir. You would think the bank would understand the program rules for its card. I have requested a printed copy of the T&Cs to see what that says.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
After reading posts on several threads about the US CC once the merger is complete- I'm not finding a definitive answer.

Will the 10k PQM after $25k spend still exist post merger?

My card expires 1/17 Its the Silver World Elite card.

If they aren't continuing the PQM offer, I'll move over to the AA card with the huge annual fee that includes club membership and 10k PQM after $40k spend.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by inthemix
Will the 10k PQM after $25k spend still exist post merger?
No.

If you were selected for the new Barclay's AA card, you can get 5k PQM for $20k spend (twice, for a total of 10k PQM for a total of $40k spend).

This is in line with the Citi AA card.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
No.

If you were selected for the new Barclay's AA card, you can get 5k PQM for $20k spend (twice, for a total of 10k PQM for a total of $40k spend).

This is in line with the Citi AA card.
So our cards are simply being cancelled?

I recieved no notification.

I'm worried they are going to try to charge annual fees and deprecate this benefit "silently".
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by lt1GM
Thanks for sharing, I also received a mailer today that looks very similar, however the "Be sure to take advantage of these benefits" section below the table is different - I was very happy to see it specifically refers to "final"

1. Club Day Pass
2. Companion Certificate

being mailed to me "on your account anniversary in 2015".

I couldn't care less about the club pass but the companion cert is good news indeed. I thought 2014 was the last year they were going to issue companion certificates. This means I'll keep the card at least until after I've used the certs.

Hmmm... Wonder if the same is true for the BofA US Airways card that I still have...
Thanks for the close read on this one ... your post sent me to the recycling bags, where I had consigned the two mailers that had shown up earlier today. On closer inspection, I realized that they were not the same:
  • For the US Barclays World Elite Whatever card -- the one that is all silver -- indeed there is that great language that you spotted. I shall now hold on to the mailer and the card, since the companion certificate is like a handful of hundred dollar bills.
  • The other one, which is the blue and silver one with the plane on the card (also from Barclays) makes no such promise. Of course, that one does not renew (for me) until May, by which time there may be so little of US left that there won't be US metal to fly on.
  • And now, as I delve deeper into credit card cum airlines forensic science (and the recycling pile), I see that my wife's card, which is also a blue and silver one with an ascending US airplane on it, does have this nifty super-valuable language about the companion certificate on it. (I wonder what else is in the recycling bags ... ?) So that's a keeper, too. Woo-hoo. I hate to resort to logic where US and Barclays are concerned, but having now ruled out card-type as the governing variable, I am wondering whether in the previous paragraph I did in fact identify what is governing this changeover: The date of the card renewal. As per above, the card with the mailer lacking this language is a May renewal; the other two renew in February and January, if I'm not mistaken ... Wow, and as I look even more closely, I see that only the last of these three mailers renews the 10,000 anniversary bonus miles (my wife's card), so all three are distinct.

Man, though -- they are making this like pulling teeth. I guess I am going to have to start making concordances out of all of my junk mail.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Nov 28, 2014 at 2:39 pm Reason: Added the third bullet point
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Biggie - glad to be of help. Sounds like we are in the exact same boat, I have "Elite" card and wife has "World" card, mailers received for both and though there are slight differences, both reference the "final" companion cert and both have anniversary dates in Jan/Feb.

I think you're right on with your theory, my guess is anniversary dates before the "Q2" integration date receive one more cert... Meh, I'm not going to worry about WHY as long as those certs show up!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Thank you both Biggie Fries and lt1GM because I too sent both mailers to the recycling bin. Upon reinspection, I noticed the different wording. My wife and I both have the silver card. Mine renews in January and hers in May. Mine mentions the next Companion Cert and hers does not. So it appears to be based on the date of renewal. Anyway, THANKS because I will pay one more annual fee to save several hundred dollars!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:56 am

That is the best Black Friday deal I've gotten! Wife & I have 4 cards between us (3 Premiers and 1 Platinum). All 4 cards renew in the January/February time frame. All 4 mailers for the cards have the wording that we'll still be receiving a "final" Companion Cert on our upcoming anniversary - I really thought the ones we received in 2014 would be the last. I agree that this "final" wording looks to be based on a Q1 anniversary date.

And all 4 confirm the 10,000 anniversary bonus miles as a continuing benefit (as expected, but nice to see it in black and white).
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:48 am

I didnt' get the Aviator Silver after 100k spend this year- so cancelled the card today before the annual fee posted next week.

Apping for Citi card with PQM right now, even with the hefty annual fee it seems a better card than the no PQM cards that Barclay's is offering it's best long time customers.

I wonder if I get anything cool for being a club member two times over (once from AA card, once from Pref Dividend)- anyone have success transferring a club membership to another person?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by lt1GM
Thanks for sharing, I also received a mailer today that looks very similar, however the "Be sure to take advantage of these benefits" section below the table is different - I was very happy to see it specifically refers to "final"

1. Club Day Pass
2. Companion Certificate

being mailed to me "on your account anniversary in 2015".
I got the same mailer. Without Preferred miles from the card, it's not worth keeping and I will be canceling it.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 5:21 pm

I am totally confused (not surprising in this merger as US AIR seems to be getting the short shift and everything seems to be at the cost of US air flyers). I have a business card and spend a little more than the mandatory $25000 to get PQM miles. I just received a flyer now telling me about the new benefits and the discontinued benefits. I am not impressed.

Here are the changes
Exclusive Benefits
1) First bag checked free for 4 passengers (I thought I received that already may not be for 4 passengers but at least for me)
2) Earn and redeem miles on US Airways and American Airlines flights ( I assume this means that I will get additional points if I purchase a snack on an American flight etc?

New Benefits
1) Companion Certificate for $99 after I spend $30,000 in purchases (WOW!!)
2) 25% discount for eligible purchases (I think for snacks etc but I really do not buy much anyway)
3) Group 1 Boarding (instead of group 2 possibly, so now there is a mad rush in group 1)
4) More miles on some office supplies, telecom and car rentals (I do not use this card for those purposes, even if I did my spend on these is limited)
5) A 5% mileage bonus at year end. So at the year end, i will get 5% of my total spend as a bonus
6) Redeem with fewer miles to select destinations (No specifics, but the destinations vary month to month so it is likely to be the least traveled destinations)

Discontinued benefits
1) Miles towards preferred status (the 10,000 PQM for $25,000 spend)
2) US Airways club pass

Hmm
Is this what others have received? .

It appears from postings that some members have been chosen for a card that gives PQM and benefits similar to what we have today. If that is the case it appears that I was not selected for a better card. That is why I am confused, especially as I have over $25,000 in purchases and always paid on time? Or is that the business card owners were given the short shift?

I get no real benefits with the new changes especially the PQM. The 5% bonus miles appears to non PQM to boot. So I spend $25,000 I will get 1250 miles. This is only if I pay the annual fee.

I see no reason to continue this card. I found Barclays difficult to deal with any way, and all they seem to want to do is to push me away. Going to Citi AA card after the programs are combined seems to make more sense then stay with this card as they still give the PQM equivalent? Any thoughts or suggestions? Or I am missing something. This merger is bad for the old US Air flyers.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
My offer was different:

1. Earn 2x miles on US Airways and AA flights
2. 25% off in-flight purchases*+
3. 1st checked bag free for me and up to 4 companions+
4. Earn and redeem miles on US and AA*+
5. Priority boarding+
6. 10% of miles back, up to 10,000 per year
7. $100 flight discount for spending $30,000 or more
8. "Additional redemption flexibility"*
9. Priority Boarding Group 1 on AA flights+

*Things I particularly care nothing about in picking a credit card; either it's already available to the masses or is insignificant
+Things that any Preferred shouldn't care about
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
My offer was different:

1. Earn 2x miles on US Airways and AA flights
2. 25% off in-flight purchases*+
3. 1st checked bag free for me and up to 4 companions+
4. Earn and redeem miles on US and AA*+
5. Priority boarding+
6. 10% of miles back, up to 10,000 per year
7. $100 flight discount for spending $30,000 or more
8. "Additional redemption flexibility"*
9. Priority Boarding Group 1 on AA flights+
Did some dumpster diving myself after reading this thread. I got the same above plus the 10k anniversary. Also showing final day pass and companion cert language. January expiration date FWIW. I assume the companion cert will still require all US metal? Getting harder and more expensive to find all US itineraries these days.

Discontinued benefits are 10k PQM, 5k award ticket discount, and first class check in. 1st one hurts, usually don't use the second, and the third this useless to any preferred.

They sent two new cards in the mail with flyer but they were the same blue and white ones with the a320 on it. Interestingly they have expiration through 2019. So not sure when they plan on sending me the new AA one.

Didn't get the upgrade offer to the Silver one, I'm still having a hard time believing that they won't extend it to everyone. My only thought is that i have the AA exec card when they did the 100k bonus. Maybe they don't want people with both cards to stack the PQM bonuses? Anybody with an AA exec card also get the Silver upgrade offer? Other than that it makes no sense, not like it's a credit risk thing. I run a solid chunk of change through the current US Barclays card.

Go Gators

Edit: Also, never heard of or seen the World Elite version of the US Barclays card. Looks pretty cool on google images, when did they offer that?

Last edited by GNVGator; Dec 1, 2014 at 8:13 am
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by GNVGator
Didn't get the upgrade offer to the Silver one, I'm still having a hard time believing that they won't extend it to everyone. My only thought is that i have the AA exec card when they did the 100k bonus. Maybe they don't want people with both cards to stack the PQM bonuses? Anybody with an AA exec card also get the Silver upgrade offer? Other than that it makes no sense, not like it's a credit risk thing. I run a solid chunk of change through the current US Barclays card.
I frankly doubt this. I don't even know if Barclays would know if you had an Exec card or not, and even if they did, I'm sure they'd love to steal some heavy spenders from Citi.

Edit: Also, never heard of or seen the World Elite version of the US Barclays card. Looks pretty cool on google images, when did they offer that?
I believe it's been offered as an upgrade to high spenders, and not offered on the initial application.

Go Gators
Go Noles.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The public offer on this card is now 50k. For the link and more, see the wikipost and/or the last few pages of this main thread about it (in the Credit Cards forum):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ot-waived.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.