Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by sperkins921
So is the consensus on this card still get it and get the 40k miles before the card disappears? My idea was to later apply for the AA card anyway; but thought 40k miles is still 40k miles.....

I would likely not be keeping the card....
I have most of my miles with AA but I got an email that my huge 4600 Dividend Mile account was going to expire...so I joined the dining program and went out for breakfast....bingo...miles saved. In the same email there was a tile advert for the Barclays US Airways card. 40,000 sign up bonus but you have to pay the $89 fee upfront and make one purchase (no $ limit on that purchase)

So I applied and in 10 seconds was approved... it was a no brainer as these miles will end up in my AA account next year and $89 for 40k miles is a bargain. Thoughts?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:47 pm

This may be a repeat post as I only skimmed the thread.

I contacted Barclay as I want to use my companion certs in Sept 2015, since I won't get them until November 2014 and wanted to make sure they would be good for 12 months and they told me they would be.

They also said this is the last year of the 10K mile bonus and the two companion certs
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by trek87
Thanks for the report. We're hoping to use mine in RDU in December. I'll also be dumping the card after the 10K anniversary miles benefit goes away, as I don't have much use for the companion ticket out of LAX.
Just a quick FYI...US Airway's Club has been closed at RDU. They are referring everybody to the AAdmirals Club, further down the concourse. From my experience, AA & US are offering reciprocal benefits at their various clubs.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I applied and annual fee posted on 9/30/14. When does the club pass come in the mail? It wasn't with the physical card.

I made my first transaction as well. Should I wait until the statement closes before I make my payment? Does it matter when it comes to the sign up bonus miles? I'm not in any rush to get the miles as I will not be redeeming until they become AA miles. Seems I repaired my credit in time fro this so I to top off my US account. I've had 20K miles US mile sitting in my account for a few years now, keeping it active with iTunes purchases..
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:31 am

Did you see post #203? They said they would stop issuing the club passes on 9/30/14. The interesting thing is that it's still listed as a benefit at the application page http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-air...card/benefits/ and says it's valid for "a one-time visit at any domestic US Airways or American operated club location." Not clear about including an adult companion. Anyway, in my recollection the Club pass and companion cert. have been sent towards a month after the card.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rove312
Did you see post #203? They said they would stop issuing the club passes on 9/30/14. The interesting thing is that it's still listed as a benefit at the application page http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-air...card/benefits/ and says it's valid for "a one-time visit at any domestic US Airways or American operated club location." Not clear about including an adult companion. Anyway, in my recollection the Club pass and companion cert. have been sent towards a month after the card.
I did see the post 203 that's what made me think that I was in on time. I double checked and inquiry alert and annual fee posted 9/30. I figured annual fee did not hit same day as approval. I just double checked my credit report which shows opening date as 9/29 so hopefully that's good enough. I did do a screen print and printed out the card details just in case.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:06 am

This is most definitely the last year for that 10,000 preferred miles bonus unfortunately
Old Oct 18, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Has there been any mention of the 5k mileage discount for award tickets going away?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by ellinj
Has there been any mention of the 5k mileage discount for award tickets going away?
I believe that's being replaced by a "10% mileage rebate on redeemed miles" benefit that's similar to what the AA card offers.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum and whatever Amex platinum gives me.
Just posted this on the forum but there is a targeted 50,000 Dividend Miles Bonus mailer, $89.00 (not waived) but no minimum spend (first charge or balance transfer triggers the bonus) that was recently sent out from Barclay (mine arrived Oct. 18, 2014). It still offers the companion ticket, plus the 5000 mile reduction on award ticketing, plus Zone 2 Boarding and free first bag. The landing page is usairwayscard.com/7653

Last edited by millemiglia; Oct 19, 2014 at 8:02 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Bootman4U
This is most definitely the last year for that 10,000 preferred miles bonus unfortunately
Do you have anything that supports this claim? I've heard this as well but wanted to see if this was anything more than speculation. I have my annual fee due in Decemeber and if this is gone I may as well switch over to an AA card with different benefits.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Do you have anything that supports this claim? I've heard this as well but wanted to see if this was anything more than speculation. I have my annual fee due in Decemeber and if this is gone I may as well switch over to an AA card with different benefits.
I can see if I still have it at home (probably tossed it), but I'm 99% sure the mailer telling us about "exciting changes to our card" had something along the lines of the 10k PQM going away and being replaced by a meager flight voucher after $30k spend. Maybe $100 voucher? Something equally worthless in the grand scheme of things.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by gruss
I can see if I still have it at home (probably tossed it), but I'm 99% sure the mailer telling us about "exciting changes to our card" had something along the lines of the 10k PQM going away and being replaced by a meager flight voucher after $30k spend. Maybe $100 voucher? Something equally worthless in the grand scheme of things.
Yeah that seems to be what I remember too. The 10K PQM deal was great. Sad to see it is going away. Of course I wouldn't need it this year to regain CP but I'm sure I will next year!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Just received another email from Barclaycard with a few new updates on the card:

• 10k anniversary miles will remain after the programs combine - cardholders will receive 10k AAdvantage miles.
  • Cardholders now receive a 25% discount on onboard purchases (food, beverages, headsets) on both US and AA.
  • Cardholders now receive 2x miles for AA purchases just like they currently receive on US purchases.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Underwhelming

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.