Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by finloopio
I'd love to have this card that gives the 10,000 annual bonus moving forward. Does anyone know if I can apply for this card and receive the 40k bonus while currently holding the same card (without the 10k annual bonus) opened 7 months ago?
Impossible for us to know in advance, since it's totally dependent on whether you get approved "instantly" (ie, by the computer) or whether the computer tells a human to handle the application. If it goes to human, you're bound to be rejected for already having a card.

And no one knows the secret to getting an "instant" approval.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, National EC Exec
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Impossible for us to know in advance, since it's totally dependent on whether you get approved "instantly" (ie, by the computer) or whether the computer tells a human to handle the application. If it goes to human, you're bound to be rejected for already having a card.

And no one knows the secret to getting an "instant" approval.
This is very true. When I applied for mine, I have an outstanding fraud victim statement on EquiFax that I have tried to get cleared but they won't do it after multiple requests. I usually have to get a call to get verified for any opening of credit. When I applied in conjunction with a trip to Europe, I was instantly approved, so who knows how the approval went through.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:03 am

waiting

If i have applied and was accepted on the US Barclay card, while im waiting for the card can i make use of any of the benefits or do i need card in hand?

Also, do you have to use the card in order to get the benefits of having it,

For example, if a different card was used to book the flight that wasn't the us mastercard.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:40 am

Welcome to FT. At least generally speaking, if you login and see DMS next to your name, you're classified as a cardholder and get those benefits. I think you'd get the free checked bag regardless of how the ticket was booked, but I'm not 100% certain.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CDKing
I applied and annual fee posted on 9/30/14. When does the club pass come in the mail? It wasn't with the physical card.

I made my first transaction as well. Should I wait until the statement closes before I make my payment? Does it matter when it comes to the sign up bonus miles? I'm not in any rush to get the miles as I will not be redeeming until they become AA miles. Seems I repaired my credit in time fro this so I to top off my US account. I've had 20K miles US mile sitting in my account for a few years now, keeping it active with iTunes purchases..
As an update, I did end up getting the companion cert and the lounge pass but still waiting for the 40K miles to post. My last statement w/ first purchase closed nearly 30 days ago.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tenpins77
If i have applied and was accepted on the US Barclay card, while im waiting for the card can i make use of any of the benefits or do i need card in hand?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, tenpins77.

While you don't need to have the card physically present to use its benefits, neither are those benefits instantly given upon card approval. Some time after the card is issued, Barclays sends info to US that you have the card, and US adds that info to your US FFP account. That is what enables your benefits.

So they may be enabled before or after you get the card in the mail, depending on how long it takes for this info to be sent from Barclays to US and for US to react to it, versus how long it takes the physical card to get to you in the mail.

See rove312's post above for how to check online if US has already realized that you have this card.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:17 am

Red face

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Welcome to FlyerTalk, tenpins77.

While you don't need to have the card physically present to use its benefits, neither are those benefits instantly given upon card approval. Some time after the card is issued, Barclays sends info to US that you have the card, and US adds that info to your US FFP account. That is what enables your benefits.

So they may be enabled before or after you get the card in the mail, depending on how long it takes for this info to be sent from Barclays to US and for US to react to it, versus how long it takes the physical card to get to you in the mail.

See rove312's post above for how to check online if US has already realized that you have this card.
thank you, they charged me for the bag but i called dividend miles and they refunded that.

I did notice i wasn't set for zone 2 boarding and when i called they said it would only work if i used the card for that flight purchase.

Must of been in the terms and conditions.. that i read...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA PLT, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
When will they stop giving out companion passes? My AF hits on 12/31. Will I get one last companion pass or should I call and try to get the new silver card before the fee hits?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you, they charged me for the bag but i called dividend miles and they refunded that.

I did notice i wasn't set for zone 2 boarding and when i called they said it would only work if i used the card for that flight purchase.

No, they were likely just guessing. (Their explanation doesn't explain why you didn't automatically get both benefits -- free bag and earlier boarding -- while my explanation fits both issues perfectly.)

I bet the problem was simply that your card was too recent for the US system to know yet that you had one. It probably showed up in their system after you boarded, and that's why they were able to refund your bag, but there's no way to "refund" your zone of booking, so since you having the card was not yet registered in the system at the time you boarded, you weren't given a boarding order based on the card benefits.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:27 pm

There is NO Stated requirement to have used this card as in the purchase of that trip to get your first checked bag free OR board in Zone 2...you must simply be a "Primary Cardmember"...if you want the 5000 Miles Award Discount, ONLY then Must you use the Barclay's MasterCard...that is the ONLY "purchase stipulation" that I saw perusing their terms.

Posted T&Cs:

"Free Checked Bag: Eligible US Airways Premier World MasterCard primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations if travel originates with US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier. Additionally, up to four companions may each check one bag free of charge, if they are listed on the same reservation as the cardmember. This benefit is available for travel on domestic codeshare flights if the originating flight is operated by US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier. To qualify, the US Airways Premier World MasterCard account must be open 7 days prior to air travel and the reservation must include the primary cardmember's US Airways Dividend Miles number. Cardmembers must check in at a US Airways kiosk or check-in counter. Overweight and oversized bags are not eligible. If the first bag is overweight or oversized on an eligible domestic flight, $25 of the bag fee will be waived. Please see usairways.com/baggage for baggage weight and size restrictions. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply and are subject to change without notice. Authorized users are not eligible for this benefit. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing US Airways Preferred program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled.

5,000 Miles Award Discount: Only the Primary Cardmember only will receive a 5,000 mile discount off of each Eligible Award Ticket provided all “Dividend Miles Select Eligibility Criteria” below are met. For example, if 25,000 Dividend Miles are required to redeem an award ticket, then the Primary Cardmember will need to redeem only 20,000 miles. The 5,000 mile award discount only applies to US Airways marketed and operated flights.

Dividend Miles Select Eligibility Criteria: The Primary Cardmember is eligible to receive the 5,000 Mile Award Discount when each of the following conditions have been met: (a) the applicable Account remains open and in good standing; (b) you have made at least one purchase or balance transfer in the last twelve months; (c) you are redeeming miles from the Dividend Miles account linked to your Account; (d) you are using the Primary Cardmember’s card to purchase the ticket directly from US Airways; and (e) your award ticket(s) are booked for either a roundtrip or open-jaw itinerary solely on flight segments operated by US Airways and/or US Airways Express (“Eligible Award Tickets”). In the event any portion of the award itinerary is not operated by US Airways/US Airways Express, or is not a valid roundtrip or open-jaw routing, these benefits will not apply and will not be pro rated. If you close your Account or change from an Account with an annual fee to an Account with no-annual fee, you are no longer eligible to receive this benefit.

Preferred-qualifying Miles and Award Processing Fee Waiver: When a Cardmember spends at least $25,000 or greater in new Net Purchases (which are not later credited back or rescinded) (“Purchase Requirement”) in the 2014 calendar year, a total of 10,000 of those miles will be converted from base miles to Preferred-qualifying Miles 4 to 8 weeks after the Purchase Requirement has been met. You can only qualify for maximum of 10,000 Preferred Miles through this credit card program. The 10,000 Preferred-qualifying miles will count toward elite status within the US Airways Dividend Miles program. At this time, US Airways Preferred-qualifying miles do not count toward elite status within the American AAdvantage® program.
Beginning 10 business days after the Purchase Requirement has been met and for 12 months thereafter, the US Airways Award Processing Fee will be waived provided the customer meets the Dividend Miles Select Eligibility Criteria above. The Award Processing Fee Waiver applies only to the Processing Fees listed below and is not a waiver of (i) any government or regulatory agency taxes, fees and surcharges or (ii) any other US Airways fees including quick ticketing fees, paper ticketing fees, change/redeposit fees and fees for tickets that are not booked on-line. The Award Processing Fees waived are: $25 per domestic ticket; $35 per Mexico or Caribbean ticket; $50 per Hawaii or international ticket.

First Class Check-in and Priority Zone 2 Boarding: Primary Cardmembers are invited to check-in at the US Airways Preferred or First Class counter when checking-in for their flight throughout all of 2014. The Primary Cardmember only is invited to board the aircraft early as part of Zone 2 provided their Dividend Miles number is part of their reservation. First Class Check-in and Zone 2 Boarding are only available on US Airways operated and marketed flights."

I hope that they are indeed honoring their own terms...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
I just applied for this card and was approved. Does anyone know if the companion certificate that I'd receive is applicable for next year?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:22 am

Anyone get more details on when the card conversion is happening?

I have this card, but I have an AA flight coming end of Feb '15. I'd like to cash in on the free checked bag benefit for myself and 3 other passengers, but it seems like they won't do that for AA flights.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just received the rare (for me) instant approval with a large credit line. This will also rescue some expired US miles and looking forward to seeing them convert into AA miles next year.

Don't really need any more cards (particularly as I already have CitiAA card perks), but 40k bonus was too good to pass up (like the now-defunct Chase Continental card).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:10 pm

I got this summary in the mail of what will happen with my card, including the 10K anniversary bonus; no mention of the change to Aviators:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyotuf54qp...34.15.jpg?dl=0
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rove312
I got this summary in the mail of what will happen with my card, including the 10K anniversary bonus; no mention of the change to Aviators:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyotuf54qp...34.15.jpg?dl=0
Thanks for sharing, I also received a mailer today that looks very similar, however the "Be sure to take advantage of these benefits" section below the table is different - I was very happy to see it specifically refers to "final"

1. Club Day Pass
2. Companion Certificate

being mailed to me "on your account anniversary in 2015".

I couldn't care less about the club pass but the companion cert is good news indeed. I thought 2014 was the last year they were going to issue companion certificates. This means I'll keep the card at least until after I've used the certs.

Hmmm... Wonder if the same is true for the BofA US Airways card that I still have...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.