Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:12 am
RNE

I have the US Airways Dividend Miles Premier World MasterCard and I'm slated to receive the AAdvantage Aviator Red MasterCard. Let me see if I have the following straight.

Because I have registered for this promo, if I go out today and make a general purchase with my US card, when my statement closes I'll earn 1.5 x $1 in US Airways miles—not AA miles. Right?

I ask, because I do not have an American Airlines FF account. I'm going to wait for that to be created automatically. Of course by the time the Aviator card arrives, said account will have been created and thereafter miles will be AA miles. Right?

And the bonus ends June 30.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum;
Originally Posted by JustAnotherTraveler
Normally they can upgrade accounts and I was told this could possibly become a retention tactic after this "freeze" (based on credit worthiness etc) but the manager can't access the system to do that until after the merger.
I am in similar situation and was just given essentially the same info. Why use the card if i can't earn elite points, get a companion ticket and have World Elite Benefits as I have now? I told agent I wanted to cancel and speak to the retention department but he said at this point, retention cannot do anything since there are no guidelines at this point. He said once the new cards are sent out I should call back and speak to retention to see what could be done as upgrade standards should be in place by then. We'll see.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
If anyone has any bright ideas on how I can get "invited" for an Aviator "SILVER" I would appreciate. I want those triple AA Miles.

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, IHG-Gold, AA Platinum, National-Exec Elite, Avis-First
Originally Posted by worldspan
If anyone has any bright ideas on how I can get "invited" for an Aviator "SILVER" I would appreciate. I want those triple AA Miles.

Thanks!
Based on my earlier experience (above post) and others that called in then escalated to a manager... All you can do is wait and call retention after the merger.

I'll wait and see but will drop both cards and move on if it doesn't change.

There are other better cards (and ways to play this game) if I don't get to keep what I had.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:35 pm

This is good information but a little concerning too. This reminds me of the same issue when Arrival+ came out. Specifically only some people were upgraded with weird Barclays internal criteria only and people were told it was going o be done in waves, no way to override etc. Well long story short that was a big issue with many people to this day not upgraded to arrival+ WEMC even though they were a paying arrival customer before.

My concern here is that this sounds very familiar and that what ultimately could happen (albeit not a good move by Barclays) is that lots sign up for the USAirways card now expecting to have the opportunity to pay for Silver later (lets be honest, which bank would NOT want more money from its customers) however then the secret internal criteria comes into play and most end up red with no rhyme or reason behind those that got silver.

Like you, I am interested in the Silver more than the red due to increased earning opportunity of points, EQMs etc therefore would love to know Barclays intentions on this 1) secret internal criteria or 2) let anyone that wants to pay, upgrade.

Thanks

I have two US Air Cards (Just received the second one a month ago - 50K bonus ).

My first card is 2 years old and is their top tier World Elite US Airways Card, my newer one is the standard Premier World US Airways card.

I received 2 emails last night linking both to an Aviator Red... I was slightly miffed.

I called this morning about my World Elite being lowered to an Aviator Red (Loooooong wait - I'm not the only one calling in either):
- 1st Level - Red is the same as your current card.
- Me Mentally- Not Even Close
- Me Verbally - I will be losing 10K PQM (now EQM - Aviator Silver is 5k @ $20k up to 10K max EQM), Companion Pass (yes I easily meet the spend for the new Silver card pass) US based service and concierge (has gotten me many last minute dinner reservations, tickets etc for customer visits) . I also responded that the 3x and 2x were very valuable upgrades to me.
- 1st Level - The card has a much higher annual fee ($189 vs $89).
- Me - If you look at my spend the last two years I will easily make the annual fee back many times over.
- 1st Level - Sir we currently can't upgrade status.
- Me - Manager Please

5 Min Later I have a very nice manager who knows the program very well. The manager apparently already had 2 others like me call this morning.

I won't go into exhaustive detail but apparently they are frozen on upgrades (or downgrades) until after the merger (~30 days or so according to this manager). The freeze has something to do with # of cards created and some back server banking issues.

Normally they can upgrade accounts and I was told this could possibly become a retention tactic after this "freeze" (based on credit worthiness etc) but the manager can't access the system to do that until after the merger.

I'm not happy but guessing they gave the Aviator Silver to a few whales (I wouldn't have thought 60K spend was peanuts but meh) and are planning on upgrading/downgrading people after the dust settles.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:23 pm

I know someone else mentioned this above, but am I in the minority here being able to activate the 50% miles promotion without having received any sort of email regarding linking my card to an offered new one?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by gutenmorgan
I know someone else mentioned this above, but am I in the minority here being able to activate the 50% miles promotion without having received any sort of email regarding linking my card to an offered new one?
I can't even get the website to let me register. I received the email, yet it seems to be in an endless login loop.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gutenmorgan
Same here- I still haven't received an email from Barclays, but when I logged into my account, I was able to register for the 50% bonus promo (and I did not get the offer several months ago for the Aviator Silver)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:26 pm

Update: just got home from work, still no email, but I have a letter telling me to expect my Red card between 4/1 and 6/30. Considering I only spend on Barclaycard in response to promotions, I'm not surprised. Seems like there is no standard rollout method, though.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Quick note about the 1.5x promo: from my skim of the T&C's when I signed up, this is one of those "promo bonus miles will be credited 6-8 weeks after promo ends" deals. So my guess is that our monthly statements will still just be 1x general/2x US or AA spend, then sometime in August or Sept. we'll see the 50% bonus come through.

With that being the case, I'm going to do a quick tally on July 1 of everything I did on the card from March 1-June 30 and then make a note to keep watch for that in my AAdvantage account.

Just throwing this out there so no one gets heartburn about missing bonus miles in the meantime (we all know that would NEVER happen!).
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I signed up immediately on line by punching the promotional link on my personal account homepage. I got the email invitation a few days later.

The email also said I'm getting the red card, which I'm really excited about: it'll have the patented Barclays chip-and-sorta/kinda-PIN! And all kidding aside, having PIN even as a backup to "signature" will be a big help at unattended train and other kiosks in Europe.

Unlike others here, I have complete confidence that I'll eventually be able to upgrade to silver if I like. My only concern would be whether I'll have to wait a year because of CARD Act concerns. I only signed up for the Barclays US Airways MasterCard in December, and card issuers usually make you wait a year for a product change.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I only signed up for the Barclays US Airways MasterCard in December, and card issuers usually make you wait a year for a product change.
That's a good point, does a change like this fall under CARD Act, as it is involuntary on our part (unlike a new app), or is it exempted since it is an imposed change?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, IHG-Gold, AA Platinum, National-Exec Elite, Avis-First
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I signed up immediately on line by punching the promotional link on my personal account homepage. I got the email invitation a few days later.

The email also said I'm getting the red card, which I'm really excited about: it'll have the patented Barclays chip-and-sorta/kinda-PIN! And all kidding aside, having PIN even as a backup to "signature" will be a big help at unattended train and other kiosks in Europe.

Unlike others here, I have complete confidence that I'll eventually be able to upgrade to silver if I like. My only concern would be whether I'll have to wait a year because of CARD Act concerns. I only signed up for the Barclays US Airways MasterCard in December, and card issuers usually make you wait a year for a product change.
I do not share your confidence at all (this is after 3 conversations escalated to managers).

I posted my 1st interaction with Barclay's above. I was told they would follow up in 24 hrs or I should call back. They didn't call so I did.

This call consisted of finding the 1st manager (he wasn't around) and getting stonewalled by manager #2. After 5 min I could see this wasn't going anywhere (this one had NO clue about anything) and I said good bye.

Last call on Friday was more enlightening and added data points.

1. Criteria is based on both Spend AND Credit Limit - (Apparently higher than 60k spend and 10k limit).
2. They can not, will not, no chance in h3ll upgrade you right now.
3. This one said it "should" be possible to upgrade post merger - Now told beginning ~May (was earlier told end of March beginning of April).

I will take advantage of the 50% bonus for the next few months on the cards and max it. I will call back after the points have cleared and request an "Upgrade" (which is actually giving me BACK my original status). If I hear anything other then Yes Mr. JustAotherTraveler you now have a Silver Aviator I'm closing the accounts.

I've already wasted more time messing with this crap than it deserves.

YMMV
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
I do not share your confidence at all (this is after 3 conversations escalated to managers).

I posted my 1st interaction with Barclay's above. I was told they would follow up in 24 hrs or I should call back. They didn't call so I did.

This call consisted of finding the 1st manager (he wasn't around) and getting stonewalled by manager #2. After 5 min I could see this wasn't going anywhere (this one had NO clue about anything) and I said good bye.

Last call on Friday was more enlightening and added data points.

1. Criteria is based on both Spend AND Credit Limit - (Apparently higher than 60k spend and 10k limit).
2. They can not, will not, no chance in h3ll upgrade you right now.
3. This one said it "should" be possible to upgrade post merger - Now told beginning ~May (was earlier told end of March beginning of April).

I will take advantage of the 50% bonus for the next few months on the cards and max it. I will call back after the points have cleared and request an "Upgrade" (which is actually giving me BACK my original status). If I hear anything other then Yes Mr. JustAotherTraveler you now have a Silver Aviator I'm closing the accounts.

I've already wasted more time messing with this crap than it deserves.

YMMV
For you this situation is pretty crappy. I just posted in another thread about the ambiguity about what type of mastercard card red will be compared to silver being the WEMC, when the original mail out that tpg posted about upgrading to silver had them pegged as both being WEMC.

The new red page omits any reference to world mastercard or world elite mastercard so I think it's gonna be downgraded to a normal mastercard for normal card holders maybe still WEMC for the top tier people that want to downgrade.

I think they planned to give the top tier us airways WEMC card holders the red WEMC or the silver WEMC as a choice and then they had issues and restrategized to plan on eventually upgrading and downgrading accounts as requested to 1 of the 4 new offerings.

So I have confidence that eventually through varying amounts of h3ll you will be able to get an upgrade to Silver, but like you I'm not confident at all that it will be smooth.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
So with this 50% promo basically do I understand if I spend $6750 +/- (basically) I get a maximum bonus (10,000)....is my math correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.