2. 25% off in-flight purchases*+
3. 1st checked bag free for me and up to 4 companions+
4. Earn and redeem miles on US and AA*+
5. Priority boarding+
6. 10% of miles back, up to 10,000 per year
7. $100 flight discount for spending $30,000 or more
8. "Additional redemption flexibility"*
9. Priority Boarding Group 1 on AA flights+

*Things I particularly care nothing about in picking a credit card; either it's already available to the masses or is insignificant
+Things that any Preferred shouldn't care about
I got an email today that was similar plus the "Receive 10,000 bonus miles every year on the anniversary of your account opening". Nothing about companion certificates. It might be worth keeping the card for the 10K miles an 10% miles back on redemptions.

I already have a club membership so the Citi Exec won't cost me much for another 50K miles. Then I'll wait and see what changes next year.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:42 am

A data point for those interested: I applied and received the 40k offer late November, left a message through Barclay’s website requesting a match the 50k offer… they replied sure and credited 10k to my account.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
interesting, DMS icon gone from DM account online

I logged in to my US account and noticed the little "DMS" icon that used to be there has gone away - just my elite status icon now.

I wonder if this is part of the AA switchover, or just a site glitch, or an ominous portent?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Circuits
I logged in to my US account and noticed the little "DMS" icon that used to be there has gone away - just my elite status icon now.

I wonder if this is part of the AA switchover, or just a site glitch, or an ominous portent?
Mine is still there.

Did you meet the spend requirement for DMS?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Circuits

It happened to me in the last month. I called US Airways & they said it still showed in their system but I could not see the "DMS". Within a week or so, it started to display in my account again.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Mine is still there.

Did you meet the spend requirement for DMS?
Can you elaborate? I was under the impression that DMS is a built-in feature of the Barclays US card, not something that had to be earned/maintained separately.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyingtrees
A data point for those interested: I applied and received the 40k offer late November, left a message through Barclay’s website requesting a match the 50k offer… they replied sure and credited 10k to my account.
I did the same today, and offer was matched, so it's still alive. They said next billing period though.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:45 pm

I received the "Refer your friends and earn up to 50,000 bonus miles" email from Barclay, but I couldn't get the referral link to work. If I click it, the link gets forwarded a few times and eventually comes to a url that starts with:
http://barclays.adobedigital.com/us_...get-member.php

but it's a blank page. It's the same if I click "View Online" in the email (the link it gives doesn't work). Anyone has similar experience?

Also, my friend just canceled his old Barclay US Airways card in November. Can he apply again now? Thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
are you still able to apply for a second card? I had one in 2010, applied for a second in feb 2012, closed the first account, thinking of going around again.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by ellinj
are you still able to apply for a second card? I had one in 2010, applied for a second in feb 2012, closed the first account, thinking of going around again.
Be interested to find out as well. Have had mine for a few years now.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp
Be interested to find out as well. Have had mine for a few years now.
As has been mentioned many times before, it all depends on whether your application is only processed by the computer (which may "instantly" approve you despite having a US card already) or by a human (who will never approve you if you have a US card already).

And no one knows what the secret is to getting "instant approval".

Thus the only correct answer is "maybe yes, maybe no".
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
As has been mentioned many times before, it all depends on whether your application is only processed by the computer (which may "instantly" approve you despite having a US card already) or by a human (who will never approve you if you have a US card already).

And no one knows what the secret is to getting "instant approval".

Thus the only correct answer is "maybe yes, maybe no".
Is credit pulled in the case human does the processing?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is credit pulled in the case human does the processing?
At recon, yes, but in my case this most recent time they warned me it would generate a credit pull and asked me if that was ok. (But that was after already telling me that the couldn't see any reason why the computer had denied me.)

In the case where I previously tried back in May and still ended up denied, I know they did a pull too, but I don't remember any more whether they warned/asked me back then.

I believe they always do a credit pull if you're going to approved. If the denial is quick (based on them just looking at your Barclays history), then maybe not, so it may depend on whether you call recon or not, I don't know (since I've called recon each time I've gotten a denial online or by letter.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:59 pm

It sure seems like Barclays is pretty stingy when it comes to giving our new cards..

My FICO score is north of 800, and as of right now I have 5 Chase cards, NEVER an issue getting automatic approvals from them and they even gave me a ridiculous credit line for $28K on my Southwest Premier!

So my credit is excellent by any measure...

I currently have an Arrival World Elite which I've had for about a year and pretty much use as my daily. I also have an Apple line of credit which is 2 payments away from being closed out (gotta love 18 months FREE!) so as far as Barclay's is concerned I'm SUPER low risk!

So I decided I'd like to get the US Air card and the 50K bonus before it goes away. I signed up last night and am now waiting to hear back with their answer!

WHAT??? Really? Are you kidding me?? What else do I possibly need to do in order for you guys to do for an automatic approval?!?

I guess I forgot to sacrifice that goat! hahah

-Phanto
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:25 pm

Barclaycard has been known to evaluate your total available credit (which they know since it's all reported to credit bureaus) versus your stated income, and deny people on the basis that you already have sufficient credit available to you.

That said, you should call the reconsideration line and see what the hangup is, often times it just clerical errors that raises a flag in their system that they want explanations for before issuing credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.