FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1567219-barclay-us-airways-card-becoming-aadvantage-mastercard.html)

guflyer Apr 7, 2014 5:50 pm

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

I just received an e-mail from Barclay stating that the Barclay US Airways Mastercard will become an AAdvantage Mastercard, issued by Barclaycard, after the merger is completed for the frequent flyer programs.

Is Citibank going to continue to issue AAdvantage credit cards? Will this mean that there will soon be two AAdvantage credit cards competing (which is probably good for the consumer)?

I find this very interesting, but it should end the speculation that Barclay will switch people to the Arrival Mastercard.

zipo Apr 7, 2014 6:12 pm

Interesting, since aa didn't even merge ff program with us yet

Intertraffic Apr 7, 2014 7:27 pm

Got that too. Also says you get a free bag for up to 4 people. Nice benefit but I'll be canceling before they switch my card over.

phisher4 Apr 7, 2014 7:50 pm

Interesting... Would you mind sharing the E-mail?

I was just hit with my annual fee and it was only $22 (rather than $89). I'm wondering if this has anything to do with timing of the changeover...

I'm also wondering if I should try to make the $25K spending goal in order to get 10K EQMs. If they change the rules once I get to $24,999 that would really stink.

miffSC Apr 7, 2014 9:02 pm

I received the same email... and upon doing a little bit of research, discovered (and wrote about it):

Barclaycard’s contract with US Airways had been negotiated through 2017 but a date for the branding change had not been set. With the new contracts, Citi remains the combined airline's exclusive issuer of loyalty cards, and Barclaycard has been allowed to maintain its existing accounts using American's AAdvantage program branding. However, it will not be until after the full integration of the Frequent Flyer programs at some point in 2015 that Citi will become the sole issuer.
I am keeping my card... and maybe applying for another ;)

bchips Apr 7, 2014 11:45 pm

I wonder if the 10,000 dividend miles I get each year for having the card will carry over.

MarkMColo Apr 8, 2014 8:31 am

Unless I'm missing something, this isn't news...

Biggie Fries Apr 8, 2014 11:10 am

Originally Posted by phisher4 (Post 22667137)
Interesting... Would you mind sharing the E-mail?

I was just hit with my annual fee and it was only $22 (rather than $89). I'm wondering if this has anything to do with timing of the changeover...

I'm also wondering if I should try to make the $25K spending goal in order to get 10K EQMs. If they change the rules once I get to $24,999 that would really stink.

Oh, come on ... What in the world would make you think that they would suddenly and unilaterally cancel out on a published promise with a future date?

Oh, wait a minute ... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I have been funneling money through that card like a crazy person precisely because I have long suspected that US/AA planned to bring the hammer down once the merger was in effect and there was nowhere left for us rats to flee to .... Some days I thought I was being paranoid. Today I don't think I have been doing this fast enough.

phisher4 Apr 8, 2014 8:57 pm

Well the good news is that the first checked bag is now free with the card.

But I suspect you're right: some other benefit has got to go in exchange. Maybe it'll be the EQMs. Maybe something else...

richardvf Apr 8, 2014 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by bchips (Post 22668140)
I wonder if the 10,000 dividend miles I get each year for having the card will carry over.

My 10,000 annual dividend miles posted on 04/06/14. I received the e-mail regarding the free checked bag benefit today on 04/09. I am hoping that the 10,000 annual miles benefit remains when the card is re-branded into a Aadvantage card.

Joshua Apr 9, 2014 5:52 am

In essence, there are going to be two AAdvantage credit cards for a while.

My advice would be to keep your Barclays MC, apply for the new AAdvantage one, and apply for the Citi one too. It remains to be seen if you can double up on signup bonuses for both Barclay and Citi.

mia Apr 9, 2014 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Joshua (Post 22675124)
... keep your Barclays MC, apply for the new AAdvantage one, ...

I don't believe Barclay's will be able to issue new AAdvantage cards, only to convert existing US cards to AA branding. My belief is based on this statement by Citibank:

Citi has exclusive rights to acquire new customers upon integration of American and USAirways loyalty programs expected in 2015
http://www.citigroup.com/citi/invest...a/p140212a.pdf

tag1084 Apr 9, 2014 12:46 pm

Citi is still the exclusive "issuier". Barclays isn't technically "issuing" any new customers with cards, they're just rebranding the existing DM cards with AA ones. Although I'm curious about a couple things.

a) when is this actually taking place?

b) Will the Barclays benefits for DM will now apply to AA (once they are rebranded)? For example the 10K PQM after spending $25K, or the $99 companion certs, or the day pass for the club.

phisher4 Apr 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Given all the speculation on this site in general, I'm surprised there aren't any "theories" or rumors floating out there.

Here's my speculation: The new perk of first bag free has to come at a cost of some other benefit(s). The $99 companion cert is going away...

What say you internet?

guv1976 Apr 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by phisher4
Given all the speculation on this site in general, I'm surprised there aren't any "theories" or rumors floating out there.

Here's my speculation: The new perk of first bag free has to come at a cost of some other benefit(s). The $99 companion cert is going away...

What say you internet?

What benefits are being offered on the card's current application page?