Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Underwhelming
I think it's great news. The 10K anniversary miles alone make it worthwhile to keep paying the annual fee. The rest may not be too exciting, but those benefits are just lagniappes.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by swag
I think it's great news. The 10K anniversary miles alone make it worthwhile to keep paying the annual fee. The rest may not be too exciting, but those benefits are just lagniappes.
You are better off closing this card and just applying for the AA card and get one of their 50K bonuses compared to paying the annual fee just to get 10k here.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
You are better off closing this card and just applying for the AA card and get one of their 50K bonuses compared to paying the annual fee just to get 10k here.
There is a $450 fee for the 50K bonus. You can get 30K bonus for $95 and a 25K bonus for $50. If there is a better deal for 50K miles please let me know.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Those options are not mutually exclusive.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
There is a $450 fee for the 50K bonus. You can get 30K bonus for $95 and a 25K bonus for $50. If there is a better deal for 50K miles please let me know.
No there isn't. $95 fee for 50k bonus, and the fee is waived the first year.

Citi AA Platinum Personal Mastercard, 50,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here. This is a CHIP and Signature card.

http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/d.../BP-PLATHV.jsp
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:27 pm

Deleting.

Last edited by rove312; Oct 23, 2014 at 12:30 pm Reason: Wrote at same time as previous more accurate post.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by tjguitar85
No there isn't. $95 fee for 50k bonus, and the fee is waived the first year.

Citi AA Platinum Personal Mastercard, 50,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here. This is a CHIP and Signature card.

http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/d.../BP-PLATHV.jsp
Thanks for sharing. I was looking on the citi page and didn't know that there was a better offer. Note: On the citi page the one with a $450 fee did include the club pass.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:07 pm

The $95 (waived first year) one gives two one-day club passes; the $450 one gives a club membership.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:40 pm

Most people wait until the 10K posts then cancel the card and avoid the AF.

In 2015 I can actually use the two $99 companion certificates so I will be keeping this card ( had 3 US air cards already that I cancelled after the 10K posted and avoided the AF) open until next year and paying the $89 AF.

Hopefully next year I can grab the 10K and then close the card before the AF posts as in the past.

I also received an offer to spend $500 on the card in November/December and January to get 5,000 bonus miles

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 23, 2014 at 2:50 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:57 pm

Quick question guys. Complete airline CC noob here. I have quite a few hotel cards, but have never had a need/want for air travel or even done much research until now. I don't have the US Airways card OR the Citi AA card. I did a bit of scanning and it sounds like this US Airways card has a limited life. Need some of the FT expert advice here.

Should I apply for the 40k mile card after purchase ASAP? Even if I haven't been targeted for the 50k, it seems like I should not miss out on this before the only offer available for AA miles is from Citi. Also, do we know when the end date for apps for US Airways approximately is? Already have a different lined up for next app, but could be an option for the SO.

Any thoughts on what you guys would do if in my shoes? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by swag
+1

$89 for 10K miles a year is a fantastic deal! Throw in the 10K mile award refund and I'm a happy camper. As an AA flyer, I've never used the companion pass or club pass so the loss of those were never deal breakers for me anyway.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Passport Platinum, IHG Platinum and Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer
+1

$89 for 10K miles a year is a fantastic deal! Throw in the 10K mile award refund and I'm a happy camper. As an AA flyer, I've never used the companion pass or club pass so the loss of those were never deal breakers for me anyway.
I agree. I will pay the $89 annual fee for 10,000 annual bonus miles and the other benefits. The 10,000 bonus miles is worth more than the annual fee. I will also probably apply for the Citi Aadvantage Platinum card within the next several months since the $95 annual fee is waived for the first year. Hopefully, the 50,000 offer is still available at that time.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richardvf
I agree. I will pay the $89 annual fee for 10,000 annual bonus miles and the other benefits. The 10,000 bonus miles is worth more than the annual fee. I will also probably apply for the Citi Aadvantage Platinum card within the next several months since the $95 annual fee is waived for the first year. Hopefully, the 50,000 offer is still available at that time.
But many of the benefits will be duplicates. So if you get both the US card from Barclays and the AA card from Citi (which you may not have to "really" pay an annual fee on for several years), most of the Barclays US card benefits will already be covered by the (cheaper, because of waived/credited AFs) Citi AA card, and therefore all you may really be getting for the $89 is 10k a year and not much else (extra over the Citi AA card). While with the Citi AA card you have historically been able to get 50k once every 1.5 or 2 years with no AF. So how is $89 for an extra 10k a year that great a deal comparatively?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So how is $89 for an extra 10k a year that great a deal comparatively?
Isn't it largely a function of whether individual users are cash-rich/points-poor or the other way around?

Also, it remains to be seen how generous Barclays is in future years with retention offers. According to the relevant thread, Barclays is waiving the AF for almost anyone who asks, despite the fact that the door (to applying for new Barclays US cards) hasn't yet closed. I don't expect these cards to be free in perpetuity for the asking, but the annual cost may turn out to be less than $89. (In the alternative, the carrot dangled to keep cardholders from canceling may be more than 10K.) Only time will tell.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Citi Exec, Amex Plat- Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
10K EQMs

Going to fall short on spending and really need them. Is the $25K a "spend" requirement, or could I balance transfer to get there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.