Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 3:11 pm

Free checked bag when booked before April 23?

Is there any more clarity on a requirement to book after April 23 to get a free checked bag with the card? Early in this thread, there was a link to http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html which would indicate that, but the various promos for the card make no mention of it. I booked a July trip, I think on 4/15, as a cardholder (using the companion cert). Does anyone have experience having made a booking as a cardholder and not being entitled to a free bag for other reasons?

The mailer I got says "Cardmembers must check in at a US Airways kiosk or check-in counter to qualify for this benefit." Should I take it to mean check a bag there, and it doesn't preclude checking in online? I'd think OLCI at T-24 would indicate if there's a checked bag fee, but could that in fact show a fee and we could get it waived at the counter?
Old May 26, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by pkr529
Does anyone have a view on whether they think there would be a point in time when DOJ might come down on the new AA for stripping away too many customer friendly benefits?
That will never happen, nor should it. Removing benefits isn't illegal.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

People are taking this too personally. They can and will do what they want and don't care about any of us.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
That will never happen, nor should it. Removing benefits isn't illegal.
I was not intending to suggest that, in and of itself, a company is not entitled to conduct business as it pleases. I think the free market should be allowed to operate too. I was wondering whether there might be something in the antitrust settlement with DOJ besides the divesture of slots that could result in a closer look at how the new AA is implementing the merger. I suppose this will all play out in the long run by having the current low cost carriers grow along with the entry of new airlines into the market while the legacy airlines will stumble because they have gotten too large to succeed.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I was wondering whether there might be something in the antitrust settlement with DOJ besides the divesture of slots that could result in a closer look at how the new AA is implementing the merger.
I don't think the DOJ is going to care what happens to the credit cards.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by rove312
Is there any more clarity on a requirement to book after April 23 to get a free checked bag with the card? Early in this thread, there was a link to http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html which would indicate that, but the various promos for the card make no mention of it. I booked a July trip, I think on 4/15, as a cardholder (using the companion cert). Does anyone have experience having made a booking as a cardholder and not being entitled to a free bag for other reasons?

The mailer I got says "Cardmembers must check in at a US Airways kiosk or check-in counter to qualify for this benefit." Should I take it to mean check a bag there, and it doesn't preclude checking in online? I'd think OLCI at T-24 would indicate if there's a checked bag fee, but could that in fact show a fee and we could get it waived at the counter?
I've some upcoming travel and I was wondering the same thing. I like checking in online, but I'd hate to have to pay for my bag when I could otherwise check it for free.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
BEWARE US DMers: EQM benefit for AA Citi Executive Mastercard

Just passing on lessons learned from switching from the US Airways Barclay Cards with 10,000 EQM after $25K spend to AA's Citi Executive Mastercard which gives 10,000 EQM after $40K spend...please note the differences below for AA's program vs US' DM:

AA's program awards EQM based on flown miles only to ALL base or preferred levels or fare classes. So if you were expecting 150% EQM on a transatlantic J fare, think again...everyone gets 100% EQM.

AA's program awards EQ Points (EQP) which reflect preferred or class of service bonuses. If you fly business or first, it would be reflected in EQP balances, not EQM.

As I fall into the category of taking several int'l trips each year in J, the EQMs awarded by AA's Citi Executive Mastercard are absolutely worthless to me -- my EQPs will far exceed EQMs in any year in the AA program scheme.

While the card grants access to the Admirals Clubs, I will not be renewing the card as I did not fully understand how EQMs worked in the AA system (my fault)...hope this helps as some consider switching cards.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Losing the 10,000 Preferred miles for spending $25k is TERRIBLE.

I'll be cancelling my cards once that benefit vanishes, and maybe leaving US for UA.
I agree with this sentiment. I have never used the companion certificates, but between the 10k miles and BuyUp to Preferred that's what gets me to CP--since I usually fly between 40k and 50k miles/year.

I used to have 2 MCs for the extra boost, but merged them a few years ago once they started offering a 2nd 10k for the 2nd $25k spend. Frankly, with the BuyUp, once I get to 50k miles, the buy-up price was the same for CP (since I couldn't hit 75k), so I never worried about the 2nd 10k.

My card just renewed (April), so am still focusing on getting to P (worst case Gold) this year (since Buy Up is reduced/eliminated). But this is probably the last year for the card...my old Costco Amex pays me 1.5% in cash all year (after a threshold), which is better than miles for me. While that card is no longer offered, at least my benefits got grandfathered in (unlike this case).

Only real consideration--my Barclays USAirways MC has a fairly high limit ($50k) so closing it might ding my credit some for a while (I don't carry a balance, but that factors in to overall credit). Guess I'll have to see how much of the line Barclays can move over to my no-fee (and rarely used) LLBean MC before I cancel.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I intend to complain to US Airways about this without any expectation but a notation that a Chairman complained. Does anyone have a view on whether they think there would be a point in time when DOJ might come down on the new AA for stripping away too many customer friendly benefits? The executives for these two airlines represented (really misrepresented) that this merger would be beneficial to the consumer.

Interesting and people wonder why JS over at United called the MP loyalist "entitled." You don't think management knows that any change isn't going to settle well with everybody. They also know that people will write letters and said letters will get filed away.

DOJ could care less about "customer friendly benefits" they have no power over them.. BTW, who is to determine what is "customer friendly benefits" since we all have different likes, needs and wants.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I guess one of the biggest unanswered questions is, will the cards with the annual bonus 10,000 miles still have that benefit? The mailer posted on here and what I received in the mail didn't address that.

Free bags, 10,000 miles annually, 5K discount on rewards and the various bonus promos might still make this card worth $89.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yes, the DOJ is going to step in and take a pro-consumer position on our credit cards and FFP's, probably five or ten seconds after monkeys begin flying out of my ...
Old May 29, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I just voted with my feet. Called to close my account and they didn't even try to save me.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Passport Platinum, IHG Platinum and Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by airb330
I guess one of the biggest unanswered questions is, will the cards with the annual bonus 10,000 miles still have that benefit? The mailer posted on here and what I received in the mail didn't address that.

Free bags, 10,000 miles annually, 5K discount on rewards and the various bonus promos might still make this card worth $89.
I am also still waiting for the answer to that question. I guess I will find out when my card renews next April. I will keep the card if I still get the 10000 annual miles. Otherwise the card is gone.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airb330
Isn't the 5k discount going away, being replaced by the (aligned with Citi) 10% rebate (up to 10k annually) on award bookings?
Old May 30, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Isn't the 5k discount going away, being replaced by the (aligned with Citi) 10% rebate (up to 10k annually) on award bookings?
The 5k discount was not listed among the benefits being discontinued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.