Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
This is horrible. The best perks of this card are gone.
Yeah, after I redeem my certificates for a family trip to the West Coast next year, I'm out.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:16 am

USAirways tweet sums up how I feel about changes so far

https://twitter.com/dupontcircledc/s...38951461605376
Old May 20, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
That twitter user is complaining about US Airways making changes to their FF program (the worst rated US program) and saying that following AA's program (the highest rated US program) is a poor idea. While there were pros and cons to each it wouldn't be possible to keep all the pros from each program - in this instance I think switching over to AA's style is the better move.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this complaint appears to be related to (or instigated by) changes to the US Airways Barclaycard benefits, I'll merge this into that thread in the pre-merger US Airways forum.

~Moderator
Old May 20, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Pinned
That twitter user is complaining about US Airways making changes to their FF program (the worst rated US program) and saying that following AA's program (the highest rated US program) is a poor idea. While there were pros and cons to each it wouldn't be possible to keep all the pros from each program - in this instance I think switching over to AA's style is the better move.
Wow, I had not thought about it this way. I have to admit I feel a bit ashamed just about now ... ashamed to have used those companion certificates when I could have just paid regular fares for those other two passengers ... ashamed to have wanted 10,000 PQMs for $25,000 spend, when I can get them for $40,000 spend on a $450/year card. Basically, ashamed.

You know what they say: When everyone tells you you're drunk, maybe it's time to go lie down. I think I'll go lie down now.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Wow, I had not thought about it this way. I have to admit I feel a bit ashamed just about now ... ashamed to have used those companion certificates when I could have just paid regular fares for those other two passengers ... ashamed to have wanted 10,000 PQMs for $25,000 spend, when I can get them for $40,000 spend on a $450/year card. Basically, ashamed.

You know what they say: When everyone tells you you're drunk, maybe it's time to go lie down. I think I'll go lie down now.
Well stated!! What is a good program depends upon how you use it.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The most telling part of their complaint:

@USAirways you're turning a great FF program/benefits into American -- their model went bankrupt; there was no cost to the Barclays benefits
More of the same "American went bankrupt for a reason" nonsense. To continue the flawed narrative, "AA Saved by highly profitable US Airways."

GMAB.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's interesting to me that most here will seem to miss the PQM and the companion certificate. I've had the card for 4 years and never used either one. For me, it's the 10K RDM and the lounge pass that make paying the annual fee worthwhile.

But, yeah, I too will likely be cancelling once the changes are all in effect.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by swag
It's interesting to me that most here will seem to miss the PQM and the companion certificate. I've had the card for 4 years and never used either one. For me, it's the 10K RDM and the lounge pass that make paying the annual fee worthwhile.

But, yeah, I too will likely be cancelling once the changes are all in effect.
The companion certificates saved me at least 1000-2000/yr. But US/AA won't be getting that money from me next year because I either won't take those trips or they'll be on lower cost carriers.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:23 am

i thought the most telling part was this b.s. response from US:

@USAirways "These policy changes ensure we can invest in and deliver the best possible products and services."

Huh? How does cutting back on PQMs and companion certificates from high spend customers allow you to invest in better products and services?
Old May 20, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by DCAAA
i thought the most telling part was this b.s. response from US:

@USAirways "These policy changes ensure we can invest in and deliver the best possible products and services."

Huh? How does cutting back on PQMs and companion certificates from high spend customers allow you to invest in better products and services?
AA has a contract with Citi. They are not keeping their deal with Barclay's that US had. The Citi cards aren't that bad, maybe not as good but better in some areas.

This happens all the time when two companies become one.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'm considering the AA higher level card to get the 10K EQM's, as well as the Alaska card for their companion certificate. When I do this though is dependent on when the FF programs merge as I'm a preferred on US, not AA. Getting those EQM's in my AA account would be worthless until it has my accounts merged.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I'm looking at three different unlinked cards...

The Arrival Plus card from Barclay
The Capital One Venture card
The Chase Sapphire card

And one linked card

The Citi AAdvantage executive card.
You might also want to consider the Citi Prestige card. It can be an incredibly lucrative cash-back-for-flights card if you buy and fly a lot.

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Not too much familiarity with the bank cards, but I am intrigued by the Citi AAdvantage card. The $450 annual fee is significant, but it includes an Admirals Club membership. And, you get 10k PQMs for 40k in spend.

Anyone have this last card and want to share experiences with it?
I have this card, and there are entire threads dedicated to it.

If you want an Admirals Club membership, you basically get a bunch of free ancillary benefits along with it. Some of them (Priority Boarding, and the free bag) are benefits you get anyway as an elite frequent flier member, but the 10k EQM and no forex fees are nice.

Plus, right now there's a signup bonus for 100,000 bonus miles for $10k spend and your first $200 worth of purchases are free.

I've found the customer service on the high end Citi cards to be very good, but YMMV.

Last edited by nall; May 20, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I plan to cancel my US credit card later this year. My wife will do the same. We will really miss the companion cert and the 10K PQM. If you are reading this and feel the same, I hope you will cancel your card as well. If tens of thousands of cardholders cancel their card, this will make a statement. Maybe nothing will happen but we can at least protest in this way.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Nothing will happen, AA has a contract with Citi not Barclay's and they can't change that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.