Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
What arrangements does US have for an arrivals lounge now?
Good question. Like I said I checked this thread before doing my research on lounge options. I assumed there to be an arrivals lounge like they have in FRA. Never assume right. Sorry I jumped the gun.
I did a quick check and there is a Star Alliance lounge in terminal 1 but I don't know if you can access it upon arrival. It seems to be in the departure area.
If there's no *A or partner arrival lounge, then that makes it easy.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Good question. Like I said I checked this thread before doing my research on lounge options. I assumed there to be an arrivals lounge like they have in FRA. Never assume right. Sorry I jumped the gun.
I did a quick check and there is a Star Alliance lounge in terminal 1 but I don't know if you can access it upon arrival. It seems to be in the departure area.
There's an arrivals lounge past immigration and customs in LHR T1 now, just to the right of where you meet friends, family and drivers. The Star lounge used for departure is separate.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by perseus11
If this person knows what he's talking about (I have very little confidence in most "seeking alpha" articles), or has inside information, the new AA seems to be planning to de-hub PHL.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1851...e?source=yahoo
"US Airways is also planning to introduce new routes between Charlotte Douglas airport and China."
Confused - the article doesn't mention PHL and the additional flights out of CLT were announced as seasonal additions to the PHL flights. They haven't said anything about China from CLT, and I would think a CLT/PHL-NRT (JL hub) is more likely since AA already serves China from ORD and that's a more logical mid-continent connecting point for East Asia.

The article appears all over the place though, going off and talking about the 737 for a while, while US has none on order (AA does, but primarily as MD80 replacements). Then in the conclusion it recenters on the small number of additional CLT TATL flights as key to a higher stock price ... while the success of the flights can't hurt revenue, it's not likely to be very material to the bottom line.

I don't know, it doesn't look like a very useful article.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Thanks phlwookie. Do you know the criteria needed to gain access? Is it for business class customers, *G customers, or is it a fee only lounge which I found on LHR's website, Servisair I think it was called. No idea what the fee is.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I suspect it will be possible to credit travel on USair to AAdvantage much earlier than March.

(Jan 7th was an initial mention.)
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
I suspect it will be possible to credit travel on USair to AAdvantage much earlier than March.

(Jan 7th was an initial mention.)
Mr. Kirby specifically told me, in response to a question I posed, that January 7 would be "a big day for us" in terms of offering "reciprocal frequent flyer benefits." You can interpret that to mean what you were asking about.

Above is from:
American Airlines-US Airways Merger: What Frequent Travelers Need to Know
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by jspira
Mr. Kirby specifically told me, in response to a question I posed, that January 7 would be "a big day for us" in terms of offering "reciprocal frequent flyer benefits." You can interpret that to mean what you were asking about.

Above is from:
American Airlines-US Airways Merger: What Frequent Travelers Need to Know
As a falling 1K and CP, hoping that I get January to use my 6 SWUs on UA and credit to DM.:-:

SafeTravels
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:28 pm

Thanks phlwookie. Do you know the criteria needed to gain access? Is it for business class customers, *G customers, or is it a fee only lounge which I found on LHR's website, Servisair I think it was called. No idea what the fee is.
The Star arrivals lounge at LHR T1 is for arriving business (Envoy on US)/first class passengers (for carriers that have it). Star Gold alone flying in coach doesn't get you in, nor does a club membership, unlike departure lounges, where *G and club memberships should work in most cases. I don't think you can pay a fee separately to get into the Star LHR arrivals lounge.

Though I fly PHL-LHR a fair bit, the flight is usually short enough that I usually just go wherever I'm heading next in London directly but I have stopped in there a few times to freshen up especially if there was a delay, and it can be handy especially if you won't get to a hotel until the evening and/or slept through breakfast in the air. They will want to see your boarding pass to let you in so keep that handy.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
How did CO handle changes in Skyteam award bookings after the switchover? The switch to *A happened in October 2009 but Skyteam bookings could be made before that date for travel through October 2010. So what happened when

a) a segment got cancelled by a Skyteam partner, or

b) you wanted to change a leg in your routing after that October 2009 switchover date?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:17 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by remedy
Can you use AA miles for upgrades on BA TATL flights?
Yes, you can - and you can book them on aa.com.

The caveat to that is that BA adds the infamous YQ fuel surcharge to awards, so a TATL winds up being quite expensive, cash-wise, for a "free trip" anyway by the time you add on taxes/fees/etc.

FWIW, I don't see a YQ-worth of difference between the two J products for my own money. Others' opinions will surely vary.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:28 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
As of 11/11 (when I was last in LHR), you've got two lounges - one for arrivals and one for departures.

For arrivals, once you clear customs and enter into the area with access to the tube and car service pickups, there are elevators at one end. They'll take you up to the ticket counters (level 2?) and up one more floor (level 3? - it's the top) where there is an arrivals lounge. It's not *A, but is shared with South African and I think another airline. Pretty standard stuff... showers, snacks, drinks. I don't recall seeing alcohol, but I wasn't looking for it either. They'll bring you a breakfast menu and feed you. Wifi is free but you need a code. I found this very helpful in syncing up the work I did on the flight over.

For departures, there's a new *A lounge that's shared by all *A airlines as far as I can tell. It's at one end of the terminal near the LH transfers desk. Decent spread of food / bar, but it was crowded when I was there. Wifi is free via BT, no code required.

Neither are on par with international F lounges, but are quite passable for my needs.

Side note: Just wait 'til y'all get access to the CX F lounges in HKG. Hands down the best I've ever used.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Any word on Amex Centurion Elite program / Amex Platinum Lounge program?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
I'd be curious if they let FFs use SWUs on US metal and CP e-certs on AA metal, which would be very useful
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by some dude
Any word on Amex Centurion Elite program / Amex Platinum Lounge program?
Admiral's Club is already part of the lounge program, no reason that will go away.

The chances of Centurion Elite's getting EXP status is, IMO, zero. AAdvantage is a high end program with useful benefits. AA won't be giving it away like US. US could afford to give it away because it doesn't attract nearly as many high-earning clientele. Giving card members EXP would seriously devalue and dilute the program.

You can offer Centurion card holders AA EXP, and everybody will bite; but giveaway US Airways Chairman Preferred, and nobody cares. It's a pretty useless benefit.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by MAH4546
. . . You can offer Centurion card holders AA EXP, and everybody will bite; but giveaway US Airways Chairman Preferred, and nobody cares. It's a pretty useless benefit.
Oh boy, would be painful once you fall from that high horse of yours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.