Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Mobile Boarding Passes with US Airways
US Site with all the details

Note: mobile boarding is not available at all airports, check the website for full list.

Currently, US limits the airports where you can use this, to the list at the bottom of that page.

When you check in online, choose 'Send my passes to my smartphone' and use your phone to get through security and board your flight. It's that easy.

Here's how:
  • Check in on usairways.com
  • When we ask 'How do you want your passes?' check 'Send my passes to my smartphone'
  • If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, install Passbook and tap 'Add to Passbook' from your mobile boarding pass
  • At the airport, use your mobile boarding pass at the kiosk (to check a bag), at the TSA checkpoint (to get through security) and at the gate when you board

You'll see the option when you check in online if:
  • Your flights are operated by US Airways
  • You're traveling through a city that has mobile boarding
  • You only have one person in your reservation
Print Wikipost

US Mobile Boarding Passes [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
Am I correct in thinking that mobile boarding passes (incl. passbook) are not possible with a multi-passenger itinerary?
That's correct
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I tried mobile boarding passes for the first time and it will be the last time. I like having the paper to glance at when needed. I saw someone trying to use a mobile boarding pass and it just refused to scan it - what a pain.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Am I correct in thinking that mobile boarding passes (incl. passbook) are not possible with a multi-passenger itinerary?
Earlier this week I had to have a two passenger reservation split at the gate for standby purposes. On the return, we were both able to use mobile BPs. If you aren't holding out for upgrades or have another reason to keep both pax together on the reservation, you might be able to use mobile BPs if you call and have them split the reservation. Again, if there's any reason at all that you want to keep all pax together, I wouldn't advise doing this, but if all pax on the itinerary have smartphones, this could be a way to let everyone use mobile BPs.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Anyone figured out what works best for Android? I just switched from iOS to Android and all the apps seem to require me to download the .pkpass file (which I believe is what the "add to passbook" button on iOS did) - but the download/"add to passbook" button doesn't show on any of my Android browsers.....
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
Anyone figured out what works best for Android? I just switched from iOS to Android and all the apps seem to require me to download the .pkpass file (which I believe is what the "add to passbook" button on iOS did) - but the download/"add to passbook" button doesn't show on any of my Android browsers.....
The download page probably checks the browser user agent to see if you are on safari.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
So I see this is airport based? How weak is that?

I can use it at PHL on the way back, but not at MEM?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by Azzuristar
So I see this is airport based? How weak is that?

I can use it at PHL on the way back, but not at MEM?
I would assume it is airport based because of the need to have the appropriate scanners and IT infrastructure in place to read and process the different style 2D barcode that the mobile BPs use. This is both airline and TSA dependent since it needs to be implemented at security as well as every one of that airline's gates at any given airport.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
Anyone figured out what works best for Android?
Buying an iOS device?

Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Buying an iOS device?

...but that is so yesterday!!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jr57
Earlier this week I had to have a two passenger reservation split at the gate for standby purposes. On the return, we were both able to use mobile BPs. If you aren't holding out for upgrades or have another reason to keep both pax together on the reservation, you might be able to use mobile BPs if you call and have them split the reservation. Again, if there's any reason at all that you want to keep all pax together, I wouldn't advise doing this, but if all pax on the itinerary have smartphones, this could be a way to let everyone use mobile BPs.
Fair point, although hardly worth the hassle compared with printing the pass.

With United at least I could add a passbook BP for my entire family on my own iPhone.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:37 am

US Mobile Boarding Passes

Does anyone know why at least 70% of the time when I check in online it doesn’t give me the option to have my boarding pass emailed? I float between Platinum and Chairman on US Airways. I would think at a premier flyer this would not be an issue. I am also TSA pre-approved. Anyone else have this issue?
I can print the boarding pass, but not always convenient when on the road.
Sorry if posted in wrong area
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:39 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Bakerboy.

As your question is re: US Airways, we'll move your query to the more appropriate forum. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
IME online check-in will only give you the option to "email" the pass to your smartphone if the departure airport allows the use of mobile boarding passes.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by Bakerboy
Does anyone know why at least 70% of the time when I check in online it doesn’t give me the option to have my boarding pass emailed? I float between Platinum and Chairman on US Airways. I would think at a premier flyer this would not be an issue. I am also TSA pre-approved. Anyone else have this issue?
I can print the boarding pass, but not always convenient when on the road.
Sorry if posted in wrong area
Mobile boarding passes are only available at select airports - if you need to print boarding passes but can't at the moment you first check in, you can either hit check in again when you're at a computer with a printer (at which point the system will say "You're already checked in" and allow you to print boarding passes) or you can print them at a kiosk at the airport.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:10 am

Thanks, I was under the impression that all airports could handle the digital boarding passes. Looks like we are still a little behind in technology, of course that being said, most people have to scan theirs twice from what I have seen. Ok I’ll stick with paper until I can use emailed/digital passes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.