Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2Mil, UA, US, Delta, BA, Marriott, SPG, Diners Club
Originally Posted by josephstern
Random notes:

-Trackitback: Just did mine. I like that they'll let me attempt to use a credit card that expired in 2006. Do they ever update that site?

-SelectWarranty: Had to check it out. Speaking of never updated, there's not a link or a dynamic item on the page. Just graphics, one with that great, static text "Hurry! Your eligibility ends within 10 days." Super-cheezy. I wonder if they've even sold a single policy.

-Priority Club: You can buy points at these rates:

1,000 - 9,000 points US $13.50 per 1,000 points
10,000 - 19,000 points US $12.50 per 1,000 points
20,000 - 40,000 points US $11.50 per 1,000 points

Then, these transfer to US at 10,000 -> 2,000. For me, I think I'll have about 9K soon, so I'll buy 1K, transfer, get 2,000 and a hit for $13.50 plus otherwise-useless-to-me points.
Why not try this offer, you pay $9.95 for 8 weeks USA Today e-edition and 1,000 Priority club bonus points. (not sure how quick the points will be posted)

https://service.usatoday.com/subscriptions/electronic/orderEntry.faces?pub=EE&keycode=BPUMZ[/URL]

Unfortunately, I cannot find the same offer from US Airways's website; they only has paper version and is too much $$$ for a hit.

You can also check Priority club dinning rewards program to take advantage the current promotions. (Dinning rewards usually post in less than a week)
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Jazzop
It makes sense for rental locations that are tight on parking space. They may hope to move more cars per day than they could actually park there at one time. When someone returns a car extremely early, it creates a logistical problem for them. Although not all locations have this physical contraint, it may be simpler just to charge this fee across the board than to have extra "fine print" that varies per rental location.
Today, I avoided any possibility of an early-return fee from Hertz by reserving my five rentals for just one hour each.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
I've been slowly building up my hits. This forum certainly has been helpful with that! Right now I've been toying with the idea of getting a club membership now that the membership also gets you into the CO, UA and *A clubs; and a hit in this promo has me leaning more into that idea. Was just curious though if there are any CP's that might be kind enough to nominate me as a silver so I can save $75 in the membership?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Originally Posted by lkar
So, I have a stay at a starwood hotel coming up. I'd like to keep my earning preference for starwood points to take advantage of the current starwood promo. If I eat at the restaurant while there and pay with a credit card, can I wait until after I get back, get miles for the stay posted to my starwood account, switch my earning preference to US and then fax in my dining receipt to starwood to get it credited for US miles?
Yes, you could do that. However, I don't know if you realize that the bonus points post separately from the regular stay points and do not automatically transfer out to the airline while you're set up for direct airline transfer.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Today, I avoided any possibility of an early-return fee from Hertz by reserving my five rentals for just one hour each.
I guess I forgot to mention this in my first post of this working successfully, BUT, I was able to book 5 cars on the same day for 15 mins each, take them all out 1 after the other (probably took 15-20 mins to go through the paperwork of taking out all 5) and then returned them 1 by 1 immediately after that (didn't even see the car I was supposed to be taking, let alone drive it). After taking out the first car, I explained what I was doing to the slightly confused employee, so she asked if I wanted to do them all at the same time and I asked if there was any fee for taking a car out early or returning early...she said no! The whole process shouldn't take more than 1 hour .
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by johndeere19
I guess I forgot to mention this in my first post of this working successfully, BUT, I was able to book 5 cars on the same day for 15 mins each, take them all out 1 after the other (probably took 15-20 mins to go through the paperwork of taking out all 5) and then returned them 1 by 1 immediately after that (didn't even see the car I was supposed to be taking, let alone drive it). After taking out the first car, I explained what I was doing to the slightly confused employee, so she asked if I wanted to do them all at the same time and I asked if there was any fee for taking a car out early or returning early...she said no! The whole process shouldn't take more than 1 hour .
What's funny is that I drove MY car right up to the Hertz Gold office, parked it there, and then proceeded to rent and return five cars while never leaving the office.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ImprovGal
Yes, you could do that. However, I don't know if you realize that the bonus points post separately from the regular stay points and do not automatically transfer out to the airline while you're set up for direct airline transfer.
In my case, I have found that whenever the bonus Platinum points post along with the regular stay points, everything gets transferred over to airline miles if I have direct deposit set up. It is only when the bonus miles post a day or so after the stay that they dont get transferred over immediately. In either case, I think the OP would prefer having the bonus points remain in SPG so my guess is he should be fine.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:41 am

Supe 8 Beijing

Originally Posted by lkar
Haven't seen one yet. Everyone was focused on China last week, and it never posted because they wouldn't charge to the card.

How long have your Super 8 stays taken to post to US, so that we have something to compare to on the no-shows?
I just talked to Super 8 Beijing. I was told they did not charge my cc, since I did not show up. They did have my reservation. They did not have my cc information. They recommended me to talk o Super 8 China Reservation center. I got the same answer, although I aske them to charge my cc.

So Super 8 in China did not work.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pointsjunkie53
what is the least expensive way to open a TD Ameritrade account so i can get a hit?
I've looked into that somewhat. Opening the account should have minimal cost (not sure of initial deposit required, but I'm just saying there should be minimal fees). The problem is their exit fees. They charge $25 for moving part of your money out of TD to another bank and $75 for moving all of it. The only way I see it as worth it is if

1) you want to keep a TD Ameritrade account open

or

2) you can deposit $10,000+ and get the 15,000 bonus miles as well. That might make up for the exit fee of $75, but you do have to keep the account open for 9 months before closing to ensure getting those bonus miles.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: Hertz PC, IC RA, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, US Gold
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
I've been slowly building up my hits. This forum certainly has been helpful with that! Right now I've been toying with the idea of getting a club membership now that the membership also gets you into the CO, UA and *A clubs; and a hit in this promo has me leaning more into that idea. Was just curious though if there are any CP's that might be kind enough to nominate me as a silver so I can save $75 in the membership?
I just did this the other day. I had my company pay for it. woot woot. If you do sign up,make sure you do it by Sep 30 so you can get 3000 pqm! This is the code: CEB3K
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
The Marriott megabonus gives members one free night for every second paid stay, up to two free nights, using their Visa card. Can I also earn US Airways hits?

How does US Airways know I stayed at the participating hotels? Do I need to ensure that I am earning miles for each stay?

Do some hotels make you chose between miles and points?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by poptarts
The Marriott megabonus gives members one free night for every second paid stay, up to two free nights, using their Visa card. Can I also earn US Airways hits?

How does US Airways know I stayed at the participating hotels? Do I need to ensure that I am earning miles for each stay?

Do some hotels make you chose between miles and points?

Thanks!
Hotel chains usually make you choose between miles and points (Hilton is an exception that lets you earn both for a stay - there may be others). You need to specify your earning preference to airline miles in order to get miles (and a hit) for a stay. Usually you can airline miles only on eligible stays which are stays that would earn points, so this would exclude free/award nights. There are exceptions of course - SPG lets you earn starpoints (or miles) even on award stays if you are platinum and choose starpoints as your welcome amenity.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
Hotel chains usually make you choose between miles and points (Hilton is an exception that lets you earn both for a stay - there may be others). You need to specify your earning preference to airline miles in order to get miles (and a hit) for a stay. Usually you can airline miles only on eligible stays which are stays that would earn points, so this would exclude free/award nights. There are exceptions of course - SPG lets you earn starpoints (or miles) even on award stays if you are platinum and choose starpoints as your welcome amenity.
Then how does US Airways know whether your stayed at a hotel and earned miles as opposed to simply transferring miles from hotels awards programs?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
Ok, so I cannot take advantage of the Marriott megabonus. However, if I am understanding Hyatt's "great 10k" bonus after every 5 nights (not stays) correctly, I can earn the 10k bonus and get miles (instead of points).

My plan will be to stay 5 Hyatt nights in the next few months and earn the 10K bonus and US Airway miles (not Hyatt points) and earn 5 HITS. If this is not correct, please let me know.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by poptarts
Then how does US Airways know whether your stayed at a hotel and earned miles as opposed to simply transferring miles from hotels awards programs?
These are coded differently - one is coded as a conversion (or exchange), the other as a stay (or transfer).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.