Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by nickfromct
Things that I would have done anyway or my company pays for, I put down zero cost. (ie; business trip hotel room, vacation car rental, etc.)
I think that's a totally legitimate way to look at it. This is my first year with the promo, though, so I'm trying to be a bit more rigorous about it to make good judgments if they offer the promo again next year.

By way of example, for a three day business car rental that my company pays for, if not for the US promo, I'd go with the Avis 3,000 AA mile promo going on right now. The best I can do to get a hit is a 1,500 promo for US, so that's a difference of 1500 miles to earn the hit -- not to mention that I value AA miles more than US. It's still worth it, because each hit now earns me 1/4 of the next step (or 5,000 miles), but I'm trying to track those sorts of less apparent "costs" too.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lkar
By way of example, for a three day business car rental that my company pays for, if not for the US promo, I'd go with the Avis 3,000 AA mile promo going on right now. The best I can do to get a hit is a 1,500 promo for US, so that's a difference of 1500 miles to earn the hit -- not to mention that I value AA miles more than US. It's still worth it, because each hit now earns me 1/4 of the next step (or 5,000 miles), but I'm trying to track those sorts of less apparent "costs" too.
Note that you can earn 3K US miles if you rent for at least 3 days from Avis.

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...rpreferred2010
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by mrredskin
...called a few minutes ago and some girl answered. ....

was the chick at least beautiful and with a sexy voice
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Is there a limit to the hits earned through Dividend Miles dining? I see no mention of spending limits like that of SPG or others that specifically mention 1 hit max.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Is there a limit to the hits earned through Dividend Miles dining? I see no mention of spending limits like that of SPG or others that specifically mention 1 hit max.
No spending limit. I did mine at Cold Stone Creamery for $8.00. In my area there are some donut shops that are part of DM dining, so cheap hits could be had.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:24 pm

Maximum of One hit for DM Dining.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:25 pm

So if you dine at participating restaurants 36 times you get 100,000 miles? I havent seen anything in the T&Cs or FAQs that says you cant...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:25 pm

No spending limit. I did mine at Cold Stone Creamery for $8.00. In my area there are some donut shops that are part of DM dining, so cheap hits could be had.
I went to a place to do the all double no trouble and spent $25 to get the 500 mile bonus to AA. Then I used my card registered to US air and got a side order of guacamole for my hit and 6 miles.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
Maximum of One hit for DM Dining.
Thanks kings. Do you remember where you saw that?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
The Rules specifies that you will get only one hit for DM Dining.

All other partners:
(max 1 hit at each partner)

Dividend Miles Dining
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
So if you dine at participating restaurants 36 times you get 100,000 miles? I havent seen anything in the T&Cs or FAQs that says you cant...
Wouldn't we have loved that... Ordering and paying for a coke 36 times!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:29 pm

I havent seen anything in the T&Cs or FAQs that says you cant...
Seems pretty clear to me on the rules page: "(max 1 hit at each partner)."
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
Note that you can earn 3K US miles if you rent for at least 3 days from Avis.

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...rpreferred2010
Nice! Thanks. (Bad example on my part, but still the same point, though.)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
To make things simple, I've been adding "cost" to the things I've had a direct cash outlay for that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. (ie; Pencils @officemax, vinese wine tasting guide, etc.). Things that I would have done anyway or my company pays for, I put down zero cost. (ie; business trip hotel room, vacation car rental, etc.)

I know you can get alot more sophisitcated about it, but for my purposes this works well.
What I'm doing is tracking costs three ways:

(1) Total cash outlay - the amount billed, regardless of the nature of the expense;

(2) Incremental cost - any amount that exceeds what I would have spent without this promotion;

(3) Sunk cost - whatever portion the cost represents expense for which I did not receive fair value (other than whatever miles bonus results).

For example, my OfficeMax purchase had a total outlay of $65 but the incremental cost and sunk cost were both zero. The FTD purchase - sending flowers to my dinner hosts earlier this month - had an incremental cost of $25 because I spent more than I usually do for that kind of thing. For my SuperShuttle ride to nowhere, all three costs were the same.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by heffa
Wouldn't we have loved that... Ordering and paying for a coke 36 times!
We would probably have had a 2000 post thread still...with ideas on how to order it for cheap in Beijing online

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.