FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Grand Slam 2010! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1118995-grand-slam-2010-a.html)

Burghs Aug 23, 2010 1:06 am

Grand Slam 2010!

Up to 100,000 miles this year! Begins 9/1.

Remember to register first:

http://shopping.usairways.com/promot...PromoCode=GS10

Here are the cheapest hits we have found--please add your thoughts!

$0 - e-Miles (transfer miles - minimum of 500 miles)

$0 - e-Rewards (redeem for miles - minimum of $25 in e-Rewards currency)

$0 - Points.com (transfer any # of miles to US Airways)

$0 - 21st Century Auto Insurance (if available in your state)

$0 - Sentry Insurance (if available in your state)

$0 - Magazines for Miles (redeem for any magazine - Woman's Day @ 300 miles is cheapest)

$0 - US Airways Business Credit Card (free signup here - 5,000-mile bonus)

$1.00 - Dividend Miles Dining (Coke at participating restaurant)

$1.00 - US Airways Shopping Mall (donation to Gaiam or iTune)

$1.20-$2.40 - Thanks Again ($4 Restaurant.com certificate - 60% to 80% off coupons almost always availble on the last page of this thread.)

$4.50 - Thrifty Airport Parking ($1.50/hr * 3 times at San Antonio, TX (SAT) - are there similar deals at other airports? does Thrifty Airport Parking earn a hit?)

$5.26 - Vinesse (pocket wine tasting guide - free or $2.50 shipping - at least one member has received credit without subscribing to wine club)

$8.48 - Dividend Miles Wireless (wipes #wirewiperp - $3.49 + $4.99 shipping)

$8.54 - OfficeMax (MMF wedgy scabard antimicrobial pen refill - $0.59 + $7.95 shipping)

$8.99 - Netflix (1 month - must be new address and credit card)

$9.00 - Life Lock (1 month)

$9.46 - SkyMall (Improvements bag clips - $1.47 + $7.99 shipping)

$14.95 - Track It Back (digital ID tags)

$17.00 - Super Shuttle (JFK to Manhattan or DFW to Dallas - using coupon code from retailmenot.com. does one need to actually ride, or is reserving & paying enough?)

$19.69 - Hertz (weekend day car rental using CDP 157348 & PC 137771 - this price was in Connecticut; your price may vary by location)

$21.51 - Biscoff (cookies #0213 - $13.56 + $7.95 shipping)

$29.56 - Buy Miles (1,000 miles @ $27.50 + $2.06 tax + 250 free miles)

$30.00 - US Airways Visa Debit Card (annual fee)

$31.94 - Florist.com (boutonniere #D11-3904 - $16.95 + $14.99 shipping)

$31.94 - FTD (boutonniere #D11-3904 - $16.95 + $14.99 shipping)

(Be careful using both Florist.com and FTD...they are the same company and last year, some people only received one hit for both purchases.)

$36.00 - Network Solutions (e-mail address - 2 years @ $18.00)

$36.90 - ChronoMed (Frequent Flyer Support Pack - $29.95 + $6.95 shipping)

$40.00 - Share Miles (1,000 miles @ $0.01 + $30.00 fee)

$49.99 - US Airways World MasterCard (annual fee)

$50.00 - Starwood Hotels (meal/drinks)

$50.00 - Choice Privileges (buy 5,000 points & convert to miles)

$59.85 - USA Today (3 months @ $19.95 - looks like they raised the price)

$84.00 - Wine Insiders (membership)

$87.50 - Starwood Preferred Guest (buy 2,500 points & convert to miles)

$89.99 - Get Abstract (6 months)

Audience Rewards (coming soon)

peachy3 Aug 23, 2010 1:20 am

Nice find! I'm going through it now =)

mhen Aug 23, 2010 1:55 am

Thanks Burghs
I am now holding off buying miles under current buy or gift miles promo until Sept 1. Non US members have to work hard to get "hits"!

peachy3 Aug 23, 2010 2:08 am

Yeah, I've just been through all of the offers and it's very hard to get 36 hits if you are non-us! Do members have any past tips or advice to give? Perhaps lend a US address? More than happy to give free gifts for it ^O^ =)

ArizonaGuy Aug 23, 2010 5:41 am

Argh. They fixed the SPG dine loophole. :) No $5 beers times 6! But you can still get dining credit. $50 or $34 will get the 100 points, depending on your SPG status.

Non-qualifying partners:
Any activity that does not earn Dividend Miles including, but not limited to:

* Hotels stays that do not earn Dividend Miles
* Starwood activity that doesn't earn at least 100 Dividend Miles
* Car rentals that do not earn Dividend Miles
And interestingly it shows 2 max hits for 21st Century Auto Insurance. 1 for the quote, 1 for getting a policy I assume.

ChronoMed and Select Warranty are not listed currently anywhere in the "Get Miles" pages of US Airways. Nor is TrackitBack but it's currently 20 miles per $1 on trackitback.com/US. Cheapest option is $20 for 400 miles.

At any rate, I've calculated and while it will take several hundred dollars for me, that's worth it for 36 hits and 100K miles. If I still had multiple credit cards or points in more hotel programs it would cost me less. The harder part will be seeing how many I can get for my wife. This definitely better than last year. The max 28 hits earned 50K. 28 hits nets 60K now and if you make it that far there's no reason not to aim for more.

johndeere19 Aug 23, 2010 6:12 am

Very nice find! This looks great, the upside potential is much better than last year.

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy (Post 14529445)
Argh. They fixed the SPG dine loophole. :) No $5 beers times 6! But you can still get dining credit. $50 or $34 will get the 100 points, depending on your SPG status.

And interestingly it shows 2 max hits for 21st Century Auto Insurance. 1 for the quote, 1 for getting a policy I assume.

At any rate, I've calculated and while it will take several hundred dollars for me, that's worth it for 36 hits and 100K miles. If I still had multiple credit cards or points in more hotel programs it would cost me less. The harder part will be seeing how many I can get for my wife. This definitely better than last year. The max 28 hits earned 50K. 28 hits nets 60K now and if you make it that far there's no reason not to aim for more.

How do you plan on doing this for "only" several hundred dollars? At first glance, it looks like it might cost me more than that, but some of these I was planning on doing anyway during the promo time-frame.

ArizonaGuy Aug 23, 2010 6:32 am

Originally Posted by johndeere19 (Post 14529530)
How do you plan on doing this for "only" several hundred dollars? At first glance, it looks like it might cost me more than that, but some of these I was planning on doing anyway during the promo time-frame.

That's sort of my quasi-acceptance. I'll already be getting most of the hotel stays that will happen regardless. Without hotels and car rentals, I've overestimated what I think I'll spend on SkyMall, DM Shopping, DM Dining, DM Wireless, FTD, Wine Clubs, OfficeMax, Network Solutions, ThanksAgain, TrackitBack and SuperShuttle and it's under $400.

Now, some of these things will have been done absent of the promo so it's not a lot of additional or unplanned spending fortunately. DM Dining, FTD, OfficeMax, ThanksAgain (Restaurant.com certificates) and SuperShuttle are going to happen anyway. Then it's an estimate of $20 for SkyMall, $5 for DM Shopping, $5 for DM Wireless, $20 for Network Solutions, $20 for TrackitBack. Wine Clubs are iffy, I may avoid them like the plague based on last year's experiences. Buy miles? About $30 minimum. Share miles? About $40 minimum.

Whether I'll do them all is another matter. I'll sort out my own personal checklist of what I know I'll check off and what I might need to reach the next milestone. Car rentals are an easy filler, I'm always up for an excuse to pick up a car and head out of town for a weekend. Even if I spend $500 to get 28 hits (36 is going to be tough), that will be 0.08cpm. At 28 hits I'll determine whether it's worth the effort to get 32 or 36 or put the effort into reaching 28 hits for the wife's account.

treznor Aug 23, 2010 7:31 am

70 possible hits this time instead of 72 last time. Makes it a tiny bit more difficult by raw numbers, plus upping the ante for possible hits.

Definitely looks interesting but also glad to get the info a bit early in order to start planning!

johndeere19 Aug 23, 2010 7:34 am

For the hotel programs, is there any way someone can refer me similar to the AA promotion and we both get bonus miles?

adkrick Aug 23, 2010 8:07 am

For the US Airways Club membership, do 90 day memberships count? Or only annual?

dcpatti Aug 23, 2010 8:12 am

Originally Posted by johndeere19 (Post 14529870)
For the hotel programs, is there any way someone can refer me similar to the AA promotion and we both get bonus miles?

I can refer you to HHonors and I will be happy to; their current referral promo though just credits a bonus to the referring member and not the new member. New member gets regular earnings. But I can send good karma your way if you use my referral link! PM me if you want it.

ArizonaGuy Aug 23, 2010 8:16 am

Originally Posted by adkrick (Post 14530054)
For the US Airways Club membership, do 90 day memberships count? Or only annual?

Not specified. Previously, it required a year. Remember that it gets significantly cheaper the higher status you have - so if you're moving up with the H/S/J promo by mid October, wait until that point to join or renew. At the Plat or CP rate and including CO and UA club access it's really not a terrible deal if you'll use it often.

PHL Aug 23, 2010 8:24 am

Is there a minimum number of points that need to be transferred from a hotel partner to earn the 1 hit? Or is it just the minimum transfer for that specific program?

ArizonaGuy Aug 23, 2010 8:28 am

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 14530152)
Is there a minimum number of points that need to be transferred from a hotel partner to earn the 1 hit? Or is it just the minimum transfer for that specific program?

Because that's not specified (and the rules/FAQ links are invalid or show last year's), one mile will do it on the transfers. Though unless you are top tier most hotel programs require a minimum of 2500, 5000 or even 10,000 hotel points for usually a meager amount of miles so the value tends to be less than stellar.

treznor Aug 23, 2010 8:34 am

Anyone see details on AAA Carolinas on the site? I see it listed as a partner but can't find any details.