Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by yuel
I am trying to redeem miles for magazine subscription, i input my info and the webpage just refreshes and clears out my info. Does have anything to do with me only having 1,600 miles?
Most likely there is something not same in your order and in your DM profile! It can be the e-mail address, the ZIP code or the name. Only if you do this transaction with Internet Explorer, you will see the error message @:-)
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sabre1
LOL, what time is your "flight" coming in and which airline?

I'm looking at booking that now. is $12 right after the discount code?
I paid $9 for PHX to the downtown Phoenix Wyndham. (I added $.50 for the driver.) But mine hasn't posted yet, so DFW may be more reliable.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by tommyleo
GOOD news from Vinesse.com. ^

I just received a call from a supervisor at Vinesse.com. I was told that any merchandise purchased will indeed be given 5 miles per dollar spent (not including shipping, of course). You do not need to join a wine club.

He apologized for any confusion as well.

Wow, that was fast. A whole bunch of us got our miles posted today. I know I wasn't the only one to call Vinesse about this -- so, great job everyone!! ^
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:15 pm

So I'm going to be in Orlando next month for three nights. Is it possible to book my hotel as three consecutive one-night stays (earning three Grand Slam hits) rather than as one stay of three nights?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nabeelj
$9 after the code. DFW to Hyatt Airport.
Nice find! Too late for me but nicely done!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
$25 for $75 Worth of Wine from Wine Insiders' Online Store (2 days left for groupon)

Groupon is offering this deal. Time left to buy: 2 days, 4 hours. I bought one but have no idea if it will earn me a hit but I'm willing to try it for $75 worth of wine. Below is the link. If the link does not work (I had to enter my email address to get to the offer), then start at "home" on groupon, enter your email address, and search for today's deal for Spokane, WA. New customers only.

http://www.groupon.com/spokane/?post_subscribe=true

After purchasing groupon, you cannot use it until 9/28/10 or after.

Last edited by poptarts; Sep 24, 2010 at 8:29 pm
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:23 pm

So I'm going to be in Orlando next month for three nights. Is it possible to book my hotel as three consecutive one-night stays (earning three Grand Slam hits) rather than as one stay of three nights?
I think it might depend on the chain. Starwood has a policy that these will count as 1 stay, I believe -- you actually need to go to a different hotel for starwood. But the issue usually only comes up in connection with promos that require a certain number of stays for bonuses.

If you explain to the front desk what you are doing and actually check out every morning and demand a separate invoice, it very well could work. What you care about is how it gets reported to US. I would think the front desk would try to link the reservations so that you don't have to change rooms and they don't have to do a full room turnover from housekeeping, but if you get 3 separate bills and are prepared to be out of the room every day from 10 to 4 or whatever and get all your stuff out of there, it seems at least 50/50 that it could work. Then again, if you're going to do that, why not just do 3 different hotels? There certainly are enough of them there.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by poptarts
Groupon is offering this deal. Time left to buy: 2 days, 4 hours. I bought one but have no idea if it will earn me a hit but I'm willing to try it for $75 worth of wine. Below is the link. If the link does not work (I had to enter my email address to get to the offer), then start at "home" on groupon, enter your email address, and search for today's deal for Spokane, WA. New customers only.

http://www.groupon.com/spokane/?post_subscribe=true

After purchasing groupon, you cannot use it until 9/28/10 or after.
nice find. no clue, either, but you can definitely b**** and moan to them for not having anything in T&C about it not working together!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold (1MM), SPG Gold, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Platinum
That Groupon Wine Insider's deal has been rotating between cities for a while now, so it shouldn't be a problem to find it. You can just Google "Groupon Wine Insider's" and look at the results in the last 24 hours to find the current city. Also, the Groupon code isn't good until 2 days after purchase, just in case you want to buy it and immediately order.

I was one of the many folks that had their Vinesse order post miles today. Just wanted to give a big thanks to the few (or many) that called in and spoke with Vinesse about appropriately crediting the miles!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott-SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nabeelj
$9 after the code. DFW to Hyatt Airport.
Thanks, I'll be "on" the shuttle from DFW to the Hyatt Monday morning!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
If you explain to the front desk what you are doing and actually check out every morning and demand a separate invoice, it very well could work. What you care about is how it gets reported to US. I would think the front desk would try to link the reservations so that you don't have to change rooms and they don't have to do a full room turnover from housekeeping, but if you get 3 separate bills and are prepared to be out of the room every day from 10 to 4 or whatever and get all your stuff out of there, it seems at least 50/50 that it could work. Then again, if you're going to do that, why not just do 3 different hotels? There certainly are enough of them there.
Actually, I'm thinking more like requesting a late checkout every day of 1PM and an earlier check-in every day of, oh, 1:01PM.

Sounds crazy, but it could work since it doesn't cost the hotel anything extra: I don't receive any more points/miles by doing so. I doubt anyone every makes such a request since there is rarely an advantage in doing so. But in this case, it's a way to earn more "hits".

Last edited by tommyleo; Sep 24, 2010 at 9:15 pm
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:17 pm

Actually, I'm thinking more like requesting a late checkout every day of 1PM and an earlier check-in every day of, oh, 1:01PM.

Sounds crazy, but it could work since it doesn't cost the hotel anything extra: I don't receive any more points/miles by doing so. It's just a way to earn more "hits".
I think the key is to just make sure the hotel program you are considering doesn't have a provision in their T&C that is designed to keep people from gaming bonuses for multiple "stays." Those hotels might group consecutive nights, even with check outs, as one package when reporting them for miles, just because that's how they account for them internally to prevent you from getting multiple stay bonues. The only program I know for sure does this on a regular basis is starwood. This language is typical: "An eligible stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights paying a qualifying rate that are spent in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-in or check-outs that occur and post to the member's Starwood Preferred Guest account."

Another thing hotels do is group multiple consecutive nights together to keep people from gaming lowest rate guarantee promos. For example, some hotels offer you the opportunity to pick bonus points if you find a lower rate. Again, Starwood is a good example, but others do it. With Starwood, if you find a lower rate, they give you 2,000 points. But people figured this out and so instead of booking one three night stay, they would book three one-night stays to try to get 2,000 x 3 points by submitting a lowest rate claim on all 3, so again the rules were changed to say that a "stay" is consecutive nights, regardless of check in or out.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I think the key is to just make sure the hotel program you are considering doesn't have a provision in their T&C that is designed to keep people from gaming bonuses for multiple "stays." Those hotels might group consecutive nights, even with check outs, as one package when reporting them for miles, just because that's how they account for them internally to prevent you from getting multiple stay bonues. The only program I know for sure does this on a regular basis is starwood. This language is typical: "An eligible stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights paying a qualifying rate that are spent in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-in or check-outs that occur and post to the member's Starwood Preferred Guest account."

Another thing hotels do is group multiple consecutive nights together to keep people from gaming lowest rate guarantee promos. For example, some hotels offer you the opportunity to pick bonus points if you find a lower rate. Again, Starwood is a good example, but others do it. With Starwood, if you find a lower rate, they give you 2,000 points. But people figured this out and so instead of booking one three night stay, they would book three one-night stays to try to get 2,000 x 3 points by submitting a lowest rate claim on all 3, so again the rules were changed to say that a "stay" is consecutive nights, regardless of check in or out.
Excellent post. Those are two scenarios that didn't cross my mind, especially since I'm not very familiar with hotel-points programs. I didn't know that "stays" -- not just dollars spent -- count toward status. So I think my plan would not work.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
You can buy fractions of stocks. I transferred $5 in, set it up for an automatic trade on Tuesday for which the commission is $4, and bought $1 worth of GOOG
OK, I'm stumped. I've been trying to do as you described, but I keep getting this alert: "The investment amount you entered is not sufficient to cover the commission cost associated with your Pricing Program. Since commissions are applied when orders are created, the investment amount must be greater than $4.00."

What am I doing wrong?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold (1MM), SPG Gold, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Platinum
OK, I'm stumped. I've been trying to do as you described, but I keep getting this alert: "The investment amount you entered is not sufficient to cover the commission cost associated with your Pricing Program. Since commissions are applied when orders are created, the investment amount must be greater than $4.00."

What am I doing wrong?
Are you entering in the total order including the commission? I think I had the same problem until I tried that.

Nice trip photos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.