Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by surfman49
Has anyone had experience with SPG Direct Deposits for Hotel stays crediting as transfers?

I had a few stays at Starwood properties that were setup as direct deposit to US Airways, and on US Airways, they are displaying as "STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST ADD TRANSFER".

That seems to imply that they are multiple transfers instead of miles credits for multiple hotel stays.
All my stays have credited as "STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST ADD TRANSFER" and have been counted as hits. Dont worry about it.

When you convert SPG points to miles, it shows up as CONVERSION: SPG POINTS TO MILES.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm in LA, though, so cars here tend to cost more, but I'll dig around.
LA has some pretty good rates out of LAX (and even better ones if you can avoid the airport locations and subsequent charges).

I rented twice at LAX over Labor Day weekend (one day rentals): $29.80 a/i with taxes/fees at Alamo (and got a Jetta for the price of a compact- LAX Alamo often has new Beetles, too) and $33.91 for Hertz (this was a Nissan Sentra).

I also live in-city in SEA and use Zipcar for my auto needs... except lately I've been jaunting to my local Alamo (they had a $20 a day weekend rate for a two day rental + bonus miles, ended up being $45 all in).

You may also want to look at this thread, too- there's a 500 mile 1 day rental promo with Alamo that could prove worth your while, too (or the two day with Thrifty). Only catch is Alamo is sort of slow on the credits (takes them a could of weeks to post).
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:33 pm

So, I have a stay at a starwood hotel coming up. I'd like to keep my earning preference for starwood points to take advantage of the current starwood promo. If I eat at the restaurant while there and pay with a credit card, can I wait until after I get back, get miles for the stay posted to my starwood account, switch my earning preference to US and then fax in my dining receipt to starwood to get it credited for US miles?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:37 pm

Any other experiences with no-shows besides post #1706? (How do I quote a message with a nested quote?) What about stays in the US?

Also, a question about 21st Century Insurance: I got their quote in my mail, but never talked to them on the phone. Do you know if I'll get any miles in this case? Or should I do a new quote?

Btw, I want to collectively thank all the posters here for the useful information they have shared!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
Some experience with Lifelock.com?

- Do they call you?
- Do they send some papers?
- Do they transfer the 750 miles when you cancel after the first billing period?
I hope you get a better answer than mine, because I've only been a member for 5 days. It's all been online and noone called me. I got an email that they ordered my credit reports and another that they removed my name from pre-approved credit card offers. I guess it's part of their program. I plan to wait for my miles to post, then cancel.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by rodrigo
Couple questions:

1. Why are you all looking for hotels stays exclusively on Super 8?? I bet there are cheaper hotels out there. A quick Kayak search [1] on Orlando (known for having cheap hotels) gives me a "Howard Johnson Enchanted Land Hotel" which is part of the Wyndham Group... The rate is "from $21"; I searched with no dates so the rate may vary depending on the dates..

(Adding some dates, I only got it to be $37 a.i., but then again I only spent 2 minutes looking)

So, why only Super 8?

While I'm extremely familiar with frequent flier programs, I had little experience with hotel-points programs before Grand Slam. So when one of the posters here started finding cheap Super 8's, I assumed he knew what was cheapest in general. Thanks for the tip on Howard Johnson, too. It's worth a look for sure.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
Originally Posted by koroleon
Any other experiences with no-shows besides post #1706? (How do I quote a message with a nested quote?) What about stays in the US?

Also, a question about 21st Century Insurance: I got their quote in my mail, but never talked to them on the phone. Do you know if I'll get any miles in this case? Or should I do a new quote?

Btw, I want to collectively thank all the posters here for the useful information they have shared!
I'm just holding onto the 21st century quote and if I don't get my miles in a few weeks, I'll be calling to find out why.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Super 8

I think the focus is on Super 8 because the T&Cs say that they will charge for a no show and it registers at a hit. (So no wasted time checking in and out, driving, etc)
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lkar
So, I have a stay at a starwood hotel coming up. I'd like to keep my earning preference for starwood points to take advantage of the current starwood promo. If I eat at the restaurant while there and pay with a credit card, can I wait until after I get back, get miles for the stay posted to my starwood account, switch my earning preference to US and then fax in my dining receipt to starwood to get it credited for US miles?
That shouldnt be a problem, I think. Make sure you hit $35 and hang on to that receipt.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by CubsGirl
I think the focus is on Super 8 because the T&Cs say that they will charge for a no show and it registers at a hit. (So no wasted time checking in and out, driving, etc)
You got it, I haven't seen or heard anything for either way for Howard Johnson, but I'll be staying in Phoenix tomorrow night...see you all there.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
GoldPoints transfer posting time?

I have a GoldPoints plus transfer to USAirways that has been deducted from my GoldPoints account but does not show up in USAir. Has anyone else done this one and is willing to share the times?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by johndeere19
You got it, I haven't seen or heard anything for either way for Howard Johnson, but I'll be staying in Phoenix tomorrow night...see you all there.
It says that you will receive the points for a no-show for any Wyndham property, so Howard Johnson counts.

The reason the Howard Johnson is unattractive at $22 (which I found on Kayak also), is that you have to book through a 3rd party site which means you won't receive the points because only reservations made directly with the hotel receive points. Hence, the cheapest stay found so far is the Super 8 Phoenix since it can be booked directly on the Super 8 website.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by slocouple
I have a GoldPoints plus transfer to USAirways that has been deducted from my GoldPoints account but does not show up in USAir. Has anyone else done this one and is willing to share the times?
I know SPG points tend to get credited on Mondays...usually the next Monday unless it is done Friday afternoon or over the weekend in which case, they'll post the Monday after. Not sure if it works the same with GoldPoints though.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:01 pm

Do you have to cancel magazine after one year? Is that auto renewal?

A few years ago, I did Chicago Tribune to extend my MP and I had to call to cancel it.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple
I did a Goldpoints transfer on 9/5, points posted on 9/13

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.