Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by CubsGirl
I think the focus is on Super 8 because the T&Cs say that they will charge for a no show and it registers at a hit. (So no wasted time checking in and out, driving, etc)
So has there been confirmation that a no-show at a Super 8 leads to miles in the US air account?

I've driven twice to a local Super 8, and would like to not have to drive there and check-in and but etc.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:36 pm

Wine Insiders

I ordered the $25 for $75 Groupon (today it's Houston, but yesterday was Seattle - seems to be moving around every single day). Then went through the DM page to Wine Insider, ordered the Us Air Special.

$89 with tax for 12 bottles of wine + corkscrew
-$75 gift certificate from Groupon
+$25 initial outlay for Groupon

=$39 for 12 bottles of wine, a corkscrew, a hit, and either 1056 or 1360 miles (depending on miles being earned on full amount).
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by doubled79
So has there been confirmation that a no-show at a Super 8 leads to miles in the US air account?

I've driven twice to a local Super 8, and would like to not have to drive there and check-in and but etc.
Haven't seen one yet. Everyone was focused on China last week, and it never posted because they wouldn't charge to the card.

How long have your Super 8 stays taken to post to US, so that we have something to compare to on the no-shows?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:52 pm

I've also ordered the $75 certificate on Groupon, but I need to wait till they upload the coupon codes on the vendor's system (just bought it yesterday), so I'll order next week.

I have no high hopes for the wine itself. I'm just hoping Wine Insiders doesn't deny the miles entirely, in which case they will hear from me quite regularly until they post.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:02 pm

I bought yesterday and it was active already - I put it in and the order total didnt change - but when I tried again it said applied - only when I hit the "purchase (your card will be charged)" button did it change. My DM number is in the invoice/receipt so I'm with you on calling regularly if it doesnt show up.

As for the wine, I'm going to assume it's horrible - I figure it will turn into cooking wine or I'll make some sangria with it. Somehow I still feel better spending $40 on this than $30 on a no-show hotel or car rental.

Originally Posted by egretta
I've also ordered the $75 certificate on Groupon, but I need to wait till they upload the coupon codes on the vendor's system (just bought it yesterday), so I'll order next week.

I have no high hopes for the wine itself. I'm just hoping Wine Insiders doesn't deny the miles entirely, in which case they will hear from me quite regularly until they post.

Last edited by borkjr; Sep 25, 2010 at 7:13 pm
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by borkjr
I bought yesterday and it was active already - I put it in and the order total didnt change - but when I tried again it said applied - only when I hit the "purchase (your card will be charged)" button did it change. My DM number is in the invoice/receipt so I'm with you on calling regularly if it doesnt show up.

As for the wine, I'm going to assume it's horrible - I figure it will turn into cooking wine or I'll make some sangria with it. Somehow I still feel better spending $40 on this than $30 on a no-show hotel or car rental.
When I try to use mine, I receive a "That gift certificate wasn't found. Please check your certificate number." at the top of the page. I'm too scared to hit purchase since it doesnt say applied.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Random notes:

-Trackitback: Just did mine. I like that they'll let me attempt to use a credit card that expired in 2006. Do they ever update that site?

-SelectWarranty: Had to check it out. Speaking of never updated, there's not a link or a dynamic item on the page. Just graphics, one with that great, static text "Hurry! Your eligibility ends within 10 days." Super-cheezy. I wonder if they've even sold a single policy.

-Priority Club: You can buy points at these rates:

1,000 - 9,000 points US $13.50 per 1,000 points
10,000 - 19,000 points US $12.50 per 1,000 points
20,000 - 40,000 points US $11.50 per 1,000 points

Then, these transfer to US at 10,000 -> 2,000. For me, I think I'll have about 9K soon, so I'll buy 1K, transfer, get 2,000 and a hit for $13.50 plus otherwise-useless-to-me points.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by 4Health
When I try to use mine, I receive a "That gift certificate wasn't found. Please check your certificate number." at the top of the page. I'm too scared to hit purchase since it doesnt say applied.
I used the # on the top-right of my groupon - it ended with a -0-1 kind of thing and i included the -'s. I entered it once, got some kind of message, entered again and then it told me it was already applied.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
-Priority Club: You can buy points at these rates:

1,000 - 9,000 points US $13.50 per 1,000 points
10,000 - 19,000 points US $12.50 per 1,000 points
20,000 - 40,000 points US $11.50 per 1,000 points

Then, these transfer to US at 10,000 -> 2,000. For me, I think I'll have about 9K soon, so I'll buy 1K, transfer, get 2,000 and a hit for $13.50 plus otherwise-useless-to-me points.
Why don't you save $13.50, and pick up free 1,000 Priority Club points by participating in this game.

For the next week or two, read that thread for helpful clues, post your guesses in PC game, earn minimum 500 points per week.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by lkar
Haven't seen one yet. Everyone was focused on China last week, and it never posted because they wouldn't charge to the card.

How long have your Super 8 stays taken to post to US, so that we have something to compare to on the no-shows?
It took one day for the miles to appear on my Wyndham account. They still haven't posted to US air as yet.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr.Flyer
Why don't you save $13.50, and pick up free 1,000 Priority Club points by participating in this game.

For the next week or two, read that thread for helpful clues, post your guesses in PC game, earn minimum 500 points per week.
Great! Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: Intercontinental, Delta, American, United, US Air
Originally Posted by borkjr

I'm going to agree with you that it's better than the no shows, however, cheap wines prices doesn't necessarily mean crappy wine. You may even find some good tasting values in there. I've been a member of vinese, and this deal is even better.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mr.Flyer

Except that no points have been posted yet and I think it's still not clear when they will post. If they post after the end of the game, then it will be too late as there are 5 more weeks to go. Don't get me wrong, your tip is very useful, but I'm still not sure if I can count on the game to get my points in time.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by joannacdhanaraj
I'm going to agree with you that it's better than the no shows, however, cheap wines prices doesn't necessarily mean crappy wine. You may even find some good tasting values in there. I've been a member of vinese, and this deal is even better.

Agree 100% - it's the reviews of the wine I found online from people who ordered from wine direct, and the fact that I can't seem to find the wine anywhere else... but i'm ready to give it a shot!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by dan1977
It is hard to believe that you can buy a 79 cent pen and get a hit on this promo but do not receive a hit for flying on a US Airways flight. Its not asking for much just give 1 hit max for flying no matter how many flights you fly..Just my 2 cents worth.
The partners buy the miles from USAir. The miles you earn from flying on US metal come out of US's budget. This promo generates a lot of extra revenue for US by selling the miles to the partners from which you are earning them.

Originally Posted by cjzhang2000
I turned down the car rental with Thrifty at PHL today, since they said they have to charge early termination fee $15, if I return the car today instead of tomorrow (I had it reserved today from noon to tomorrow noon)....

Is early termination fee new? I never heard about it?
It makes sense for rental locations that are tight on parking space. They may hope to move more cars per day than they could actually park there at one time. When someone returns a car extremely early, it creates a logistical problem for them. Although not all locations have this physical contraint, it may be simpler just to charge this fee across the board than to have extra "fine print" that varies per rental location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.