Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways App--UPDATED--NOW LIVE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Secondly, why am I now dead certain that the app will be nothing more than a skin that takes you back to the mobile site?
Originally Posted by jr57
Definitely sounds like the app will just be a skin of the mobile website.
There's no way that it would have taken 24 months to create a "wrapper" - a app icon that simply calls a webpage.

I think you're both reading into this too much. He says that they wanted the app to have the same functionality as the mobile site. Which sucks. But, I dont know how you're discerning that they just created a wrapper, which a 19-year old kid could create in about 45 minutes.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bkafrick
There's no way that it would have taken 24 months to create a "wrapper" - a app icon that simply calls a webpage.

I think you're both reading into this too much. He says that they wanted the app to have the same functionality as the mobile site. Which sucks. But, I dont know how you're discerning that they just created a wrapper, which a 19-year old kid could create in about 45 minutes.
You may very well be right. But I have learned not to have very high expectations for technology that comes from US Airways.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by bkafrick

Originally Posted by jr57
You may very well be right. But I have learned not to have very high expectations for technology that comes from US Airways.
Exactly. I was a little sad when I saw this original thread was opened two years ago. Two years to put out an app shows it is not a priority, and other shortcomings in the IT department give that same impression: no online partner award booking, no online upgrade request other than the paid-for offers that non-status pax get at booking, no ability to change seats online once you've checked in, no MoveUp anywhere but the airport, and that's using a proper computer and not just "the app doesn't do it." The impending merger might not be the reason that they're all of a sudden pushing out an app, but it sure makes it look that way, and if that's the case, I'm prepared for the app to be pretty rudimentary and not much different than just slapping a skin on a web browser unfortunately.

Like I said, I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong here, and if I am, I'll be the first person to say Job Well Done. But there are very few apps worth waiting 2 years for, and a company that consistently demonstrates a reluctance to embrace new technology or invest in anything other than the most basic of IT needs doesn't strike me as the kind of company that will produce useful, innovative apps.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ne52
-Customer service: barclay card application form
-in flight entertainment: clock
These two literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

Go Gators
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by GNVGator
These two literally made me laugh out loud.
+1
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA: Premier 1K AA: Executive Platinum
it's live!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Seems to be iOS only at the moment...(?)

Also appears to be slightly more than just a skin of the mobile site, albeit very slight

Edit: Android version now available.

Last edited by Flyer78; Jul 28, 2013 at 10:30 am
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by Flyer78
Seems to be iOS only at the moment...(?)

Also appears to be slightly more than just a skin of the mobile site, albeit very slight
And it's only for iPhone and not universal.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:42 am

Just installed it and poked around... It has a section called Boarding Pass Wallet. Can anyone with a flight this week try this out? Did they just add this to the app instead of integrating Passbook or can that still be used instead?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: US DM Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by ne52
Just installed it and poked around... It has a section called Boarding Pass Wallet. Can anyone with a flight this week try this out? Did they just add this to the app instead of integrating Passbook or can that still be used instead?
Will try it this week. GSP-CLT-BWI on Tuesday, BWI-PHL-GSP on Wednesday.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: US CP
It looks like it is slightly easier to search flight on the new app than the mobile site. Esp the date selection. They also have a nice terminal map section of terminals listed in the magazine.

Not a huge improvement but better than before.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: US Air CP
No ability to change seats...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:26 am

As expected... when you click More,

"US Airways Master Card" and "Apply Now"

Sigh
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
now on Android store as well

New app just showed up on the Android store as well.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by mhopes
No ability to change seats...
That's really the one thing I want to do on my phone for the most part

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.