Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways App--UPDATED--NOW LIVE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
It's... good!

I can't believe the app is actually any good, but I just downloaded it and played around and it seems nice. It's got a ton of info, I like how it looks and how info is presented. I did a random search of flight status and stumbled on one on the tarmac - the app actually says AWAITING TAKEOFF with scheduled and actual departure and arrival times, gate info, you name it.

I like that travel advisories are at the very top of the main screen, they have direct links to Facebook and Twitter from the "more" page... it actually looks like a well designed app. ^

I still can't believe it!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Seems pretty slow to me. Can't tell if you can view seats or not, but doesnt look that way at first blush.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I received an email a few minutes ago:

Check out the new US Airways app
Download it today
As a Preferred member, we wanted you to be one of the first to try out our new app. You can download it to your smartphone directly from the App Store or Google Play, then log in with your Dividend Miles number for a personalized experience.

With the app, you can:

Book, check in and find flight status
Quickly view recent search history
Label and organize your trips
Store all your boarding passes in one place
Email trip info to your friends and family
See club locations and terminal information
Access your Dividend Miles account

Learn more...

I downloaded it from the iTunes app store, but haven't yet used it.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by aztimm
I received an email a few minutes ago:
I received the email too and installed the app from the Play Store. Looks good but there still doesn't appear to be a way to change seat assignments. That's a limitation the US mobile site as well.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
At first glance it looks nice. They need to add the ability to change seats for sure.

Also on my first login, only one of my 5 upcoming trips was showing, and I had to add the others manually by confirm number. Hopefully just a day one glitch.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by aztimm
I downloaded it from the iTunes app store, but haven't yet used it.
It was a little slow logging me in for the first time, but once in everything looks fine.

I had just barely booked a trip through my company's booking engine (Concur, which I hate), and it was already showing.

Time will tell I guess...
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just did a quick side by side on iphone 5, samsung s3, and samsung note tablet. The app is a big improvement over the mobile site, but there is still a lot of work to be done (doesn't appear to have the ability to change seats, and aside from your mileage balance, segments, and PQMs, you can't get any details on what miles have posted). I don't see any real differences between ios and android, and I really don't see any advantage to use a tablet over a smartphone. I don't have any flights in the short term to try this out on, but I'm curious to see how well this integrates with passbook on the iphone, and to see how boarding passes do on android. Admittedly I haven't used a mobile bp on android, but if these integrate well with passbook, it would be hard to get me to switch from my iphone.

I'll play around more once I have a flight to use it on, but those are my thoughts at first glance.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Just downloaded the app and played around with it a bit. At first glance it seems pretty weak when compared to the United app. With United you can see the seat map, the stand by list, the upgrade list. You can change your seat, change your flight (within 24hrs of your scheduled flight) etc. none of which it seems you get and/or can do on the US app. Come on US. We've waited this long and this is the best you can do? Nothing innovative, nothing creative. Disappointing if you ask me....
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
With United you can see the seat map, the stand by list, the upgrade list. You can change your seat, change your flight (within 24hrs of your scheduled flight) etc. none of which it seems you get and/or can do on the US app.
United has the infrastructure to support this. Look at a United gate. They have the standby and upgrade list posted on a monitor. They have reaccomodation kiosks. They have a website that shows much more than US.

You cant expect US to magically have an app that does this, without all of the necessary IT infrastructure.

Now, I'm not saying it doesnt suck. I wish US had all of this. Luckily, they will when they fully merge with AA.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by bkafrick
United has the infrastructure to support this. Look at a United gate. They have the standby and upgrade list posted on a monitor. They have reaccomodation kiosks. They have a website that shows much more than US.

You cant expect US to magically have an app that does this, without all of the necessary IT infrastructure.

Now, I'm not saying it doesnt suck. I wish US had all of this. Luckily, they will when they fully merge with AA.
It's a decent interim solution. I really wish it could do seat changes and irrops rescheduling, but I only think seat map changes are a reasonable short term possibility.

Upgrade lists, etc would be nice but I can't see that until moving to the AA system.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
Seems silly to deploy the app months before it'll be taken offline. I guess they stayed their course.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
At first glance it looks nice. They need to add the ability to change seats for sure.

Also on my first login, only one of my 5 upcoming trips was showing, and I had to add the others manually by confirm number. Hopefully just a day one glitch.
Noticed the same thing. After logging in, NONE of my upcoming flights were in the "My trips" section. I had to add them all manually, which was a bit of a pain. Even TripTracker gets this bit right
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by tangel
Seems silly to deploy the app months before it'll be taken offline. I guess they stayed their course.
I'd guess they had a sunk cost in it, so why not. Also, I'm not sure we actually know when a reservations system migration will occur - could be relatively quick, could be a while. But they need to get it "more right" than recent mergers have, so hopefully they prioritize stability over speed.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Just booked another flight this morning and it is also not showing up. If I have to keep manually adding each of my trips, the app is to me, worthless. The only thing it becomes good for is checking status, which the mobile website does just fine.

Side note on checking flight status--when on the mobile site or the app...can they get rid of the AM or PM for crying out loud!? If I want to know flight status of a flight from PHL->CLT...just show me all of the non-stops for the day!! /endrant
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tangel
My guess is that it will be a good while before the app would be taken offline. In that sense, it was an imperative to release the app for this reason: when the merger is consummated (which looks likely), a bunch of AA fliers that are used to AA's having an app are going to be flying on US Airways during the integration period. The AA app won't likely work for US Airways flights immediately, and these people who are used to an app are going to need _some_ kind of app to be at least a little satisfied.

And basing by the comments here by the US regulars, we weren't exactly willing to wait the year+ wait before the AA app works for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.