Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by yrs
My apologies for not explaining more clearly. Since domestic saver in F is not available to HNL, I was considering a North Asia trip with a stopover in HNL in J or F. In such a case, would the following routing be considered legal?

IAD-ICN/NRT(destination)-HNL(stopover)-NRT-IAD or

IAD-ICN/NRT-HNL(stopover)-NRT(destination)-IAD.
Possibly, though the routing halfway back over the Pacific could get weird. I think the MPM might work better with the NRT stopover...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Has anyone been able to book to AKL via ADD or via europe?
Cheers
Howie
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:07 pm

With the AA/USAirways DOJ settlement annoucement earlier, how late do you guys think I can book *A award ticket with DM?
We are hoping to book something for next May 2014, but we have to wait until New Year 2014 the earliest to book something for May, 2014.
It will be North America to Asia (Region including JPN, KR, etc.).
Any thoughts?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by msiamsia
With the AA/USAirways DOJ settlement annoucement earlier, how late do you guys think I can book *A award ticket with DM?
We are hoping to book something for next May 2014, but we have to wait until New Year 2014 the earliest to book something for May, 2014.
It will be North America to Asia (Region including JPN, KR, etc.).
Any thoughts?
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....eed-to-know/2/

"The new American will remain loyal to the oneworld alliance, which American co-founded. Scott Kirby further told Frequent Business Traveler that “we intend to move out of Star quickly,” noting that US Airways had already stopped selling tickets for Star Alliance flights and adding that “we hope to move into oneworld in the first quarter of next year.”

You're rolling the dice. Up to you, I guess, but I wouldn't delay booking *A flights for very long.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by yrs
My apologies for not explaining more clearly. Since domestic saver in F is not available to HNL, I was considering a North Asia trip with a stopover in HNL in J or F. In such a case, would the following routing be considered legal?

IAD-ICN/NRT(destination)-HNL(stopover)-NRT-IAD or

IAD-ICN/NRT-HNL(stopover)-NRT(destination)-IAD.
It's not you who decides which city is the stopover and which is the destination but the city which is the furthest from the origin, so NRT is your destination and HNL the stopover.

Your routing would be way over MPM. Either way, you're going to have a one way routing of IAD-NRT-HNL-NRT or NRT-HNL-NRT-IAD which is 14,390 miles, even ignoring the crazy amount of backtracking (~4k miles) the MPM+25 for IAD-NRT is 10,142 miles. The situation with ICN is even worse with a MPM of an extra 250 miles, but distance flown is +~2k miles.

All that being said this is US we're talking about, I remember them issuing a VIE-IST routing via NRT once. You can try, but don't be too disappointed if they tell you're crazy for even trying it.

goodo
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

"The new American will remain loyal to the oneworld alliance, which American co-founded. Scott Kirby further told Frequent Business Traveler that “we intend to move out of Star quickly,” noting that US Airways had already stopped selling tickets for Star Alliance flights and adding that “we hope to move into oneworld in the first quarter of next year.”

You're rolling the dice. Up to you, I guess, but I wouldn't delay booking *A flights for very long.
A USA Today article quoted them as saying first quarter of 2014 exiting Star. My guess it isn't January with all the work they have to do and the holiday season up on the USA.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Question, I apologize if previously covered/

I am contemplating a trip before the departure from star. With the recent "changes" at UA, if I use my US miles, and research the UA flights, then call US to book the flights, is it at the US thresholds or the UA?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by etsmyers
Question, I apologize if previously covered/

I am contemplating a trip before the departure from star. With the recent "changes" at UA, if I use my US miles, and research the UA flights, then call US to book the flights, is it at the US thresholds or the UA?
You 'pay' in the miles you're using. So if you're using US miles, you follow the US chart, regardless of carrier you fly on.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by aztimm
You 'pay' in the miles you're using. So if you're using US miles, you follow the US chart, regardless of carrier you fly on.
thanks
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
I am looking for 2 business seats on ET from LHR-ADD-NBO in SEPT 2014 , I have been searching on ANA and I can only find 1 seat never 2 on the same flight , do you ever get 2 business seats on the same flight ?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Just booked JFK-NRT-AKL-PVG-NRT-YYZ-LGA. Didn't want to be cute as I saw seats and grabbed them for mid-summer travel!
Cheers
Howie
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
According KVS, NZ uses the A-cl as upgrade booking class for premium economy. A-cl is also used as discounted first class booking class within other *A airlines. But this can't apply to NZ as no first class available.

So seen, it would make sense if NZ uses O-cl as award booking class for premium economy... flyerguide.com indeed confirms, that NZ uses O-cl for premium economy...

The availability on a NZ flight says the same:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.0/Diamond - Availability/FS/US]
Code:
AKL  Auckland Intl NZ [NZAA]
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
TUE  01 Jul 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------------
NZ         87      AKL   23:00     HKG   06:30     772      C4 D4 Z4 J4 U4 E4 O4 A4 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 V7 W7 T7 L7 S7 G0 X5 K0 P0
Maybe someone can book this first class on Lifemiles and give us a feedback, behind wich curtain he flew? ;-)
update on this... my friend now reports 'FIRST' availability gone from NZ flights (at least on all the dates he was checking).

a result of sorts.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
Scott Kibry said that US had "stopped selling Star tickets" .....does this mean you can no longer redeem US miles for Star awards?

Was going to book a trip shortly....
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by tt120
Scott Kibry said that US had "stopped selling Star tickets" .....does this mean you can no longer redeem US miles for Star awards?

Was going to book a trip shortly....
rest assured if we could no longer redeem tickets there would be a lot more chatter on here
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:28 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Thanks, eponymous_coward.
I feared this but the time left with DM for use in *A is short...
Darn......
We have to do a lot of thinking and planning now. Thanks for the headsup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.