Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
You are absolutely right. It all depends on the context and one's individual travel patterns and needs.

I am sorry for going OT here and even making that remark. I really didn't mean to hijack the thread like this..

In my specific case, with SkyTeam to go to Asia or Europe from HNL I have DL flights to FUK, KIX, NGO, NRT (3x daily), KE (2x daily) to ICN and 1x daily to NRT, MU (3x weekly) to PVG, and CI daily to TPE via NRT. All but CI are true lie flat (and MU 33E aircraft super spacious business class compares to first class suites of others and is one of the best business class products hands down; it sure makes for very restful HNL-PVG-FRA and return flights) and provide for easy onwards connections. With *A, it's much more limited. NH has a limited network and reach and doesn't fly from HNL to FUK or NGO or KIX, and its NRT and HND flights have inferior US domestic style recliners. UA only has 1x daily flight to NRT. OZ has only 1 x daily to ICN, and it has a horrible in flight product (angled lie flats with a footrest that you need to exert constant pressure on to keep down, which means that your leg muscles ache and it's impossible to sleep as you cannot relax your body, and service and food on OZ, same as the seating, is also way below par to KE). And that is pretty much it. *A has both a much weaker network and a vastly inferior product (mostly 1980's style recliners, and UA's rather uncomfortable 4 seats clumped together and very narrow lie flat).

*A has SE Asia and PEK well covered, and Japan also fairly well with NH (though it's award availability is another issue, now with the >3 months out block enforced by pretty much everyone but LifeMiles, where the cost is nearly 3x that of UA, for example), but inbetween it's so-so...though the addition of BR has helped a lot. Still, more often than not what is a direct flight on ST is a one or two connections one on *A, at least on routes that I need. But I stress again, that it all depends a lot on one's individual travel needs and patterns.

But anyway, let's keep the thread on topic. My apologies for making this OT remark here initially.
No prob at all, I don't mind hijacking threads lol. I had no idea ST had so much out of HNL, no wonder you prefer it. That being said, if all there is is 1 seat that goes at 331 days out, award wise there's got to be better options

goodo
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by TProphet
The typical advice that you will get is to save miles (or even buy miles!) to take snooty first class travel on airlines that are perceived to be better, like Lufthansa and Singapore, to destinations firmly on the beaten path.

Yawn.

I have different advice. Spend miles as quickly as possible because they are one of the world's most rapidly depreciating currencies, and use them to visit unusual places that would cost a fortune to visit otherwise. Aegean has generous award availability from a pretty reasonable number of European connecting cities, and there is no better value in Europe than Greece right now. However, a lot of the service is on small aircraft with no premium cabin. Want to see the famous Pyramids? Egyptair can get you there with plenty of availability and you'll practically have them to yourself. Steer clear of protest areas and you'll be fine. Or why not a trip to unbelievable Lijiang? You can get there on Air China and availability isn't a problem.

Sure, premium cabins are expensive, but is the value of a trip to you an artificial price that no one really pays for a first class seat? I value things based on what I'd actually be able to afford to spend. No way that I could afford a ticket to Adak under normal circumstances, but my Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles got me there one summer for one of the most amazing trips of my life. And most recently, I used a laughably small number of American Airlines points to fly to Yerevan. Sure, I had to fly from an alternate, less convenient airport (Dusseldorf) and I had to connect in Moscow, but this became a roadtrip so epic I could include it in a travel book.

Use your miles now and go somewhere amazing. It's really not all that complicated. All you need is a phone, the right agent, and your imagination.
I completely agree with the above. Sadly US is awful with dealing with odd routings as seen by my disaster trying to book flights on ET. Every flight I quoted they claimed not to be able to see..Really sad to see US leave *A as their routings allowed me to do some very interesting things!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by synd
I don't think your answer regarding the CO termninals is entirely accurate.

While those for US airways will definitively be considered as co-terminals

those two will not. US air does not fly there and therefore does not have the need to categorize them as such. I had a problem a while back with CDG & ORY. Had to go through the French call center to get it worked out, because as best as i can recall no matter how many times i hanged up and called back the us call center they would not accept it.

Recently had the same issue with NRT and HND... in the end didn't have to fight for it as i found an alternate routing but it got refused twice.
I had really bad luck with NRT/HND earlier this year and to make matters when I finally got a supervisor to allow me to arrive via HND and depart via NRT the change from ICN-NRT to ICN-HND wasn't actually made and I arrived at the OZ counter and thankfully they allowed me to change it.
Cheers
Howie
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
*A has SE Asia and PEK well covered, and Japan also fairly well with NH (though it's award availability is another issue, now with the >3 months out block enforced by pretty much everyone but LifeMiles, where the cost is nearly 3x that of UA, for example)
?????

Like I said, just booked NH C longhaul for a date in June. SEA-NRT-SEA and SJC-NRT-SEA are wide open on NH in C.

Originally Posted by TProphet
The typical advice that you will get is to save miles (or even buy miles!) to take snooty first class travel on airlines that are perceived to be better, like Lufthansa and Singapore, to destinations firmly on the beaten path.
Yes and no.

I think there's lots that's amazing, right in front of our noses.

People think Frankfurt's a snoozer. Perhaps that's true. On the other hand, it's close to some very well-preserved Roman ruins.

That being said, I always wonder about folks who go thousands of miles just to eat the same kind of breakfast buffet spread you could get back home...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 17, 2013 at 9:55 am
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by nicksname
Definitely a case of HUACA. AS long as the domestic flight is 2-class, the itinerary should be charge at the business class redemption level. If the agent says otherwise, HUACA (or politely ask for the manager) and the next agent should hopefully be clued up about it.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
as stated above... unless the change is very recent then no - totally incorrect.

international biz connecting to domestic TWO class within the USA gets first class for no extra charge.

note this does not apply to domestic flights in other countries (for example China). If you connect off international biz class you cannot fly first class domestic unless you price the entire ticket as F.
Got it, thanks. Will HUACA then. The further oddity is, UA domestic business class flight is fine and it doesn't change the pricing to first, but adding a US domestic in business immediately does so.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
?????

Like I said, just booked NH C longhaul for a date in June. SEA-NRT-SEA and SJC-NRT-SEA are wide open on NH in C.
Try booking NH HNL-NRT or HNL-HND. The US agents say that the flights "do not exist" and cannot see even the flight, not even speaking of seat availability.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by goodo
No prob at all, I don't mind hijacking threads lol. I had no idea ST had so much out of HNL, no wonder you prefer it. That being said, if all there is is 1 seat that goes at 331 days out, award wise there's got to be better options

goodo
Usually the option then is just connecting elsewhere. Say you are going to PUS. HNL-FUK-PUS is the quickest way to get there (shortest travel time, easy and quick int'l connections at FUK - though avoid it for domestic due to the slow bus a long way around from T7 to T1/T2/T3). But, if HNL-FUK is gone, you can do HNL-KIX-PUS or HNL-NGO-PUS or even HNL-NRT-PUS (NRT with 5x daily ST flights - 3 DL, 1 KE, 1 CI).
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
Is US really blocking LH seats both intra-Europe and long-haul? I have a very simple one stop itinerary and can't book any of the LH segments. I've called several agents and none can see the seat. In economy or business.
It is probably LH that is not releasing until closer to departure.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Try booking NH HNL-NRT or HNL-HND. The US agents say that the flights "do not exist" and cannot see even the flight, not even speaking of seat availability.
Flight: NH1062
Operated by AIR JAPAN

Flight: NH1052
Operated by AIR JAPAN

Known problem with US not seeing NQ flights- NH is fine, though. I ran into this myself in my booking on a return from HKG, and didn't want to have to book NH to HND and spend a night in Tokyo, so went ahead and booked OZ through ICN, complete with "horrible" C seats on the A333. (It was that or an 8 hour layover at SFO and UA Y- to SEA, or BR and equally slanty recliners through TPE.)
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Flight: NH1062
Operated by AIR JAPAN

Flight: NH1052
Operated by AIR JAPAN

Known problem with US not seeing NQ flights- NH is fine, though. I ran into this myself in my booking on a return from HKG, and didn't want to have to book NH to HND and spend a night in Tokyo, so went ahead and booked OZ through ICN, complete with "horrible" C seats on the A333. (It was that or an 8 hour layover at SFO and UA Y- to SEA, or BR and equally slanty recliners through TPE.)
I know that it's a known problem. Just frustrating... will try to see if I can try to get an agent to long sell these NH (NQ op.) flights, but not holding much hopes out for that.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:50 pm

need a longer layover

Searching on ANA I found an itinerary arriving in Cairo ~6:00 am and leaving ~eight hours later that would have allowed enough time to see a bit of the city. The agent I spoke with couldn't see the afternoon flight and insisted the only availability was leaving just a few hours after I arrive. Should I call back and try another agent or am I out of luck?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Booked one last *A award before we move to OW.

CMH-EWR United Y

EWR-PEK United C (old CO style BF seats)

PEK-BKK Thai C 744 (upperdeck hopefully)

Destination

BKK-LHR Eva Air C (new product, can't wait)

Stopover

LHR-EWR United C 763

EWR-CMH United Y

at 120k per person I think it was a great parting deal.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by inthemix
at 120k per person I think it was a great parting deal.
What were your total in taxes, since you're going through LHR?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
$300. May watch for other routing as we get closer to avoid lhr. Ist would be my ideal
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Answered own question. Apologies.

Last edited by blueheronNC; Nov 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.