Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: CO, US, AA
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The poster in question had held an itinerary at 60K, though (under the rules in effect at the time). It's only fair for US to honor the price at the time the hold was made, not retroactively change it.
Agreed. Like the poster, I had a S Asia award on hold (C at 90k, TPE & BKK) while the chart had Thailand in S Asia - I was quoted 90k over the phone. Then when I called yesterday (and nicely called again, and then tried again) to book, 120k. I wish I had a printed PDF to prove my point. This probably only affected a handful of us who had something on hold, but nevertheless I was quoted a price & held it, and they should've honored it.

Ultimately I switched out BKK for ICN to keep me in N Asia.The 30k difference 120k to 90k is worth more to me than the $75 CO change fee I'll pay to adjust my CO *A intra-asia ticket to replace my BKK segment. But lucky me, now my US routing is RTW
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Ultimately I switched out BKK for ICN to keep me in N Asia.The 30k difference 120k to 90k is worth more to me than the $75 CO change fee I'll pay to adjust my CO *A intra-asia ticket to replace my BKK segment. But lucky me, now my US routing is RTW
I've done something similar, except I'm using HKG as the base of operations, not ICN.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dwcatty
lol, thanks. Okay, Played around and found a first class going over on United metal and a return in coach on Lufthansa on dates that work. Can I mix coach and first on a *A reward ticket?
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
No you cannot (well you can but you are charged the higher rate aka F miles)

what you should do is look for business class both ways
be flexible (if I want to go from London to Charlotte, but there are no non stop seats I think - London-Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa on Air Canada then canada-charlotte on USairways [always easy to grab coach on a n.america connection], or I think how about London-Munich-Charlotte on Lufthansa or via Zurich for swiss etc... just be flexible and dont mind connections
also, my personal rule is if I am ticketing in C class or F class, Im NOT taking a lower cabin on a sector which offers a 3 class cabin)

miles = money, spend wisely.
Bummer, okay, well I played around with this some more and found that if we leave a day earlier (Oh, a longer vacation? Please don't throw me in that briar patch) there are at least two seats in coach avail on the US CLT-CDG flight. Cool! On the return, using the ANA tool, I found two seats available on Lufthansa CDG-FRA-CLT, also in coach (and in business, too, but I was unable to find seats in business going over on any dates that worked). I'm guessing that would work, and be only 60k miles. I'm satisfied with that.

The FRA-CLT flight is a US flight, does this mean that after we book and once my wife makes silver in another month we could move up in to the green seats as this is a US coded flight?

miles = money understood.^
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:44 pm

just bookes for my parents:

TXL-FRA-HKG-BKK-USM//USM-BKK-NRT//NRT-MUC-TXL

100k miles and 185€ per Person.

A routing with a stopover in HKG instead of NRT was not possibel to book ->tryed it a few times

so thx US
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA DL UA SU
Originally Posted by Shilla
On a german forum I read about someone trying to book an award on LX. The agent was not able to book the flight although the ANA tool was showing availability. In their system, the agent found an entry by LX stating "frequent flyers not welcome".

LX seems to reduce their award seats dramatically (esp. to and from the US).

Any similar experiences ?
Yes, something has changed. I used to be able to find FC availability regularly for JFK-ZRH, but nothing is showing on ANA for the next 3-4 months (except for 3-4 Bus seats). But I can see pretty good FC availability on Expertflyer which reads the info directly from the GDS instead of Starnet (ANA). USair agents dont see any availability either.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
A routing with a stopover in HKG instead of NRT was not possibel to book ->tryed it a few times
You would have had to have booked NZ as LHR-HKG (by rule, stopovers are only allowed in hubs for ticketed partners).

But I can see pretty good FC availability on Expertflyer which reads the info directly from the GDS instead of Starnet (ANA)
Is that what LX is offering their own elites? It's quite possible that LX is restricting F redemptions for EVERYONE in *A outside of Miles&More, not just US.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Is that what LX is offering their own elites? It's quite possible that LX is restricting F redemptions for EVERYONE in *A outside of Miles&More, not just US.
I've tried both US Airways and Continental without results even when seeing availability on EF...even tried the long selling method which returned waitlisted so it does sound like LX is restricting some of their rewards to M&M members.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by johndeere19
I've tried both US Airways and Continental without results even when seeing availability on EF...even tried the long selling method which returned waitlisted so it does sound like LX is restricting some of their rewards to M&M members.
This is correct.

LX offers additional availability to Miles & More members that are not offered to partners.

Expertflyer shows availability for Miles & More members, not partner availability.

If it doesn't show up on the ANA website, don't bother...
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
(by rule, stopovers are only allowed in hubs for ticketed partners).
I have only once in probably 50 successful US AIrways redemptions ever had this rule even mentioned and even then it was mentioned incorrectly on their end. (They didn't want to allow a stopover in DPS becauest it wasn't a hub.. but DPS was the DESTINATION and BKK the stopover, which is a hub.)
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
I have heard and read about a few people who have successfully booked RTW tickets without being charged for the RTW, is this just a case of call agent roulette? Reason being, I am looking to complete the following routing:

LAX-ICN-CEB, SIN-IST-LAX in C

Being that this is an illegal routing, if I were to get away with it, would they cancel my ticket later on? Or possibly flag it down the line? If I can't complete the above, I guess I will just stay in the Asian region and replace IST with PEK or PVG.

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by bthobe
I have heard and read about a few people who have successfully booked RTW tickets without being charged for the RTW, is this just a case of call agent roulette? Reason being, I am looking to complete the following routing:

Being that this is an illegal routing, if I were to get away with it, would they cancel my ticket later on? Or possibly flag it down the line? If I can't complete the above, I guess I will just stay in the Asian region and replace IST with PEK or PVG.

Thanks!
With only one stop, a RTW is usually easy. And no, they should not cancel it or change it after ticketing.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bthobe

Thanks!
The above itinerary is fine, not illegal.

US AIrways does not have a rule that you have to only cross the same ocean each direction. United has such a rule. US Airways does not. Air Canada does not.

A round-the-world ticket with US Airways is defined by the number of stops not by crossing both the Atlantic and the Pacific.

I have done this many times, never gotten push back, and it's both auto-priced and involved the rate desk.

I've never found a published rule prohibiting it.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by gleff

US AIrways does not have a rule that you have to only cross the same ocean each direction. United has such a rule. US Airways does not. Air Canada does not.

A round-the-world ticket with US Airways is defined by the number of stops not by crossing both the Atlantic and the Pacific.

I have done this many times, never gotten push back, and it's both auto-priced and involved the rate desk.

I've never found a published rule prohibiting it.
Interesting. I did not know that it was perfectly legal. I always thought it was more a case of agent oversight.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gleff
It would be really, really great if people who don't definitively know the answer to these questions as they pertain specifically to US Airways, would stop answering them. It causes an awful lot of confusion.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation An important note about LX availability via US

Originally Posted by gleff:
LX offers additional availability to Miles & More members that are not offered to partners.

Expertflyer shows availability for Miles & More members, not partner availability.

If it doesn't show up on the ANA website, don't bother...

I really want to draw attention to this, as it's been brought up multiple times in all these pages. This is most definitely what is happening with LX availability via US DM, as it's been proven over and over again. Take it to the bank, folks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.