Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:07 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
they can fix their error and reissue the ticket, without charging a fee
I can confirm this based on experience this week. When the ticket was initially issued, I noticed that the agent had dropped a letter from our family name (one letter missing, the other 15 in their correct places). I wouldn't have bothered them, but when I had to call anyway because of a schedule change I asked them to fix this as well.

The agent's initial response was that it couldn't be done. I asked for a supervisor and after a short wait had the original agent back on the line making the change. It took a while, and involved refunds and new charges of both miles and cash, but there was no net cost to me and I was assured that the itinerary was held at all times.

It probably helped that it was very obviously their error (the chances of Archibald Tamping von Woppel* using his Dividend Miles to make a booking for Archibald Tamping von Woppl* being rather slim).

* names changed to protect the mostly innocent
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I agree with the previous posters. If the CS rep is saying they need to reissue the award instead of reticketing, they are probably just wrong- I've been told at various points "we need to reissue because you want to do X", and had a different agent subsequently do the thing it was I wanted them to do instead of reissuing. It seems "reissue the award" is a fallback for agents who aren't completely trained in the intricacies of US *A awards. (This is where having a "partner awards desk" would be awfully nice.)
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just an FYI, after re-ticketing, it is not unusual (in my experience) to find the seat assignments have changed, so it's always a good practice to get the record locater number for each airline you fly and check your reservation independently with that airline.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
I made a DM award reservation on Thai/NZ and the agent misspelt one letter in my name. I am told that I need to cancel the itinerary and rebook - but at the potential cost of losing my carefully detailed itinerary, in case the seats dont go back into the award buckets.

Should I risk the chance of attempting to fly on this ticket where one letter of my name is incorrect? In the past, this has happened with AA, SAS, Air France and they have honored my (revenue) ticket - but would you know how strict Thai will be, in such a similar circumstance?
Similar experience here. LH misspelled the name of my wife on an award ticket with Thai. Called. First answer was: need to reissue. Hung up, called again. New agent was not sure and checked with a supervisor. Answer was: They can change names to correct errors (free of charge), but normal agents are not able to do this. I would assume that US has similar rules - misspells should be frequent with all the bad phone connections to a call center which sounds like beeing on a different planet.....
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:03 pm

Class Change

has anyone had any luck

changing one segment of a flight

basically I have a MEL-SIN-MUC-LHR booked on SQ 77W when there was the glitch however the MUC-LHR was booked in economy however now there is business award space available should US be able to change this without re-issue as I am not going to get the ticket re-issued as obviously the SQ 77W space will not appear again on this route? or is it not worth the effort I will still have lounge access in MUC so there is no problem there
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:17 pm

C award with segments on two-cabin service aircrafts

My younger brother is going to book a TPAC business class award. He could find C inventory on most of the segments except the SFO-PHX and PHX-DFW segments, which are on the US metal with only F and Y (both have award inventory available). It is his first time to book an award ticket and I don't have such experience on US. So I would like to request your advice on this. What should he do? Would the reservation agent give him F seats on these two segments without pulling extra miles above the regular business class award?

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
My younger brother is going to book a TPAC business class award. He could find C inventory on most of the segments except the SFO-PHX and PHX-DFW segments, which are on the US metal with only F and Y (both have award inventory available). It is his first time to book an award ticket and I don't have such experience on US. So I would like to request your advice on this. What should he do? Would the reservation agent give him F seats on these two segments without pulling extra miles above the regular business class award?

Thanks!
My understanding is that it is ticketed at the highest reward level of a segment i.e. C,C,C,C,F would be F but if that F segment were C or Y, its ticketed at C. IMHO, for this particular trip, those segments wouldn't be worth it for the extra miles to pay for first. If the TPAC portion were open, I might reconsider.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by gleff
I disagree. Or at least I don't necessarily agree. What's the misspelling? What's the itinerary and class of service?
Exactly. A single letter off is such ridiculously common mistake with the millions of tickets printed every year. At check-in it can be fixed easily, and in some cases (OZ in SYD, ICN, and NH at NRT) they didn't even care so the BP gets printed with the misspelled name.

In my particular case, my wife's name is Martina and they left out the T. Interestingly they spelled her unusual Basque-origin middle name perfectly.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
basically I have a MEL-SIN-MUC-LHR booked on SQ 77W when there was the glitch however the MUC-LHR was booked in economy however now there is business award space available should US be able to change this without re-issue as I am not going to get the ticket re-issued as obviously the SQ 77W space will not appear again on this route? or is it not worth the effort I will still have lounge access in MUC so there is no problem there
A number of people have been able to reticket for the class they paid for without incurring a fee. If the agent won't do this, the rule is "politely hang up and call back later until they do it right".

That being said, I think LH or BD C on that flight is a snack and a blocked middle, plus a seat nearer the front of the plane- you'd already get a better lounge and early boarding/better luggage allowance thanks to *G. Only you can decide if it's worth some phone calls...
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: US,PC
Name changing

My friends one letter was different. Agent said that she left note for TSA regarding that and shouldn't be problem because of the note.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by johndeere19
My understanding is that it is ticketed at the highest reward level of a segment i.e. C,C,C,C,F would be F but if that F segment were C or Y, its ticketed at C. IMHO, for this particular trip, those segments wouldn't be worth it for the extra miles to pay for first. If the TPAC portion were open, I might reconsider.
Johndeere - you are right with respect to international flights - the highest class on any segment determines the miles charged.

However - for DOMESTIC US - international award travel in C allows F class on domestic on 2 class aircraft.

There is no additional charge for this.

(Of course if there is a three class domestic aircraft then you only travel in C).
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Route booking possible

Hi there,

I am new to the US Air Forum and have a question about a specific routing and the mileage I would need.

Just checked the routing below on the ANA-tool and there are seats available. Will I be able to book LH reward flights through US?

Am I correct if I assume that this would cost 125k miles?

Thanks a lot!!!

Routing

3/31(TH) LH143 Nuremberg Frankfurt 07:15 08:05 E90 - Business
3/31(TH) LH400 Frankfurt New York(JFK) 10:50 13:10 744 - First
4/5(TU) LH405 New York(JFK) Frankfurt 21:40 11:30+1 744 - First
4/6(WE) LH146 Frankfurt Nuremberg 15:40 16:20 735 - Business
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
Am I correct if I assume that this would cost 125k miles?

Thanks a lot!!!

Routing

3/31(TH) LH143 Nuremberg Frankfurt 07:15 08:05 E90 - Business
3/31(TH) LH400 Frankfurt New York(JFK) 10:50 13:10 744 - First
4/5(TU) LH405 New York(JFK) Frankfurt 21:40 11:30+1 744 - First
4/6(WE) LH146 Frankfurt Nuremberg 15:40 16:20 735 - Business
Route is valid, 125K miles for international First between US and Europe. You are correct. You should have no problems booking this.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Route is valid, 125K miles for international First between US and Europe. You are correct. You should have no problems booking this.
Thanks ArizonaGuy! The miles are for a roundtrip, arenīt they?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
Thanks ArizonaGuy! The miles are for a roundtrip, arenīt they?
YES

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.