Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Segment available on ANA and UA, not US

Not sure if this is a common case... just sharing in case it's novel and useful data.

For a few days now, I've seen two C seats on a LH segment from Germany to the US in January. They've been there on ANA and UA's websites for a few days. I don't have KVS so haven't looked there.

Two different US agents report that no seats are available.

In the past when I've seen this, it's often due to a lagged inventory update and the seats disappear within a day from ANA and/or UA, but in this case, the seats have been there for ~2-3 days.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
permitted routing

Does anyone know if the following routing would be allowed in J for 110K miles roundtrip:

JFK-JNB-CPT (stopover)
CPT-JNB-PER (destination)
PER-SIN-TPE-JFK

I know with US agents, you never know what you are going to get but just wanted to see first if this was within the rules. Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by elbombo
Does anyone know if the following routing would be allowed in J for 110K miles roundtrip:

JFK-JNB-CPT (stopover)
PER-SIN-TPE-JFK
I'd say you definitely have good chances to get it ticketed. Good luck!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:26 pm

Trying to book 2 tix from Brazil to CHS anytime mid Dec. with return in mid Jan. No "low" award level seats on US... looked for JJ and UA on ANA with no luck. Any advice, ideas? Also, how to find availability on JJ domestic routes, e.g. FLN>GRU. I thought EF had that info, but I guess not anymore. TIA!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
Is it no longer possible to use Dividend miles to book a round the world flight on *A? I'm sure that option was there last time I looked but it seems to have disappeared.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:13 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I am planning USA-Europe(stopover)-HKG biz award and would like some help understanding stopovers. I understand stopover must be at a *A hub airport. Is there a list of what US Airways considers the hub cities to be, or do I only need to convince the agent with documentation from *A's website or some such? Also do I need to fly into/out of a stopover city on the airline that hubs there? For example if I fly IST-FRA on TK and then FRA-YYZ on AC can I stopover in FRA even though I won't be flying LH in/out? TIA
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by workandski
Is it no longer possible to use Dividend miles to book a round the world flight on *A? I'm sure that option was there last time I looked but it seems to have disappeared.
at the top of the chart... in the text (not part of the table) the RTW awards are listed... Want to go around the world? For 200,000 miles in economy class, 300,000 miles in business class or 400,000 miles in first class you can circle the globe.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aau
I am planning USA-Europe(stopover)-HKG biz award and would like some help understanding stopovers. I understand stopover must be at a *A hub airport. Is there a list of what US Airways considers the hub cities to be, or do I only need to convince the agent with documentation from *A's website or some such? Also do I need to fly into/out of a stopover city on the airline that hubs there? For example if I fly IST-FRA on TK and then FRA-YYZ on AC can I stopover in FRA even though I won't be flying LH in/out? TIA
stopover in a hub city is vaguely enforced... flying in and/or out on the hub airline is even less frequently enforced. You can also stop over in a US AIR gateway city - so that includes places like London.

It's fairly flexible. You won't need to have anything to 'convince' an agent with. But if one decides to enforce the above you can always hang up and call again. If two agents give you the same information (not allowing a particular stop-over based on the rules) then have an alternative ready.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Nov 14, 2013 at 1:35 pm Reason: clarity
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Valid 90k routing?

USA to North Asia via Europe:

Denver to Houston – UA1742 – 6/3/2014 dep1930 arr2249

Houston to Beijing – CA996 – 6/4/2014 dep0130 arr0500

Beijing to Seoul – OZ332 – 6/16/2014 dep1050 arr1345

Seoul to Istanbul – OZ551 – 06/17/2014 dep0945 arr1455

Istanbul to Frankfurt – TK1587 – 06/23/2014 dep0815 arr1035

Frankfurt to Toronto – AC873 – 06/24/2014 dep1000 arr1215

Toronto to Denver – AC1039 – 06/24/2014 dep1435 arr1607

7 segments, destination is PEK, one stopover in IST and two ~23 hour layovers in ICN and FRA. I think I followed all the rules, other than the transiting a more expensive region and the stopover in the hub of the *A partner operating the flight. Will this work?

I have some alternative itineraries if needed, but this is the one the wife wants.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by djrez4

7 segments, destination is PEK, one stopover in IST and two ~23 hour layovers in ICN and FRA. I think I followed all the rules, other than the transiting a more expensive region and the stopover in the hub of the *A partner operating the flight. Will this work?

I have some alternative itineraries if needed, but this is the one the wife wants.
Should work...I had to HUACA about 30 times (no joke) to get my RTW ticketed.

When you talk to the agent on the phone, make sure you preface the conversation with "I'd like to plan a trip to North Asia as the destination..."
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drzoidberg

When you talk to the agent on the phone, make sure you preface the conversation with "I'd like to plan a trip to North Asia as the destination..."
what were the initial objections?

as a side note, it may not always work to tell the the agent the destination and stopover. those are determined purely on distance, not what the passenger chooses.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Thats not a RTW he posted... Its simply a trip to North Asia.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:36 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
stopover in a hub city is vaguely enforced... flying in and/or out on the hub airline is even infrequently enforced. You can also stop over in a US AIR gateway city - so that includes places like London.

It's fairly flexible. You won't need to have anything to 'convince' an agent with. But if one decides to enforce the above you can always hang up and call again. If two agents give you the same information (not allowing a particular stop-over based on the rules) then have an alternative ready.
I think this is excellent advice, it's good to try and have folks understand what the rules are and that it is quite possible to get them bent, but they should understand that it is the rules getting bent, in particular so you don't demand or expect agents to do things that really are not within the rules.
Originally Posted by elbombo

JFK-JNB-CPT (stopover)
PER-SIN-TPE-JFK

I know with US agents, you never know what you are going to get but just wanted to see first if this was within the rules. Thanks.
That itinerary definitely is not within the rules, any time you back track to the same city before and after a stopover, it's clearly not on the most direct route of travel, one of the rules for a stopover. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get it ticketed despite that.

Originally Posted by djrez4

IST isn't on the most direct route of travel and you have five segments from PEK-DEN, you may still be able to get it ticketed the only way to find out is to try. The rule you need to least worry about is the *A partner hub rule, that seems to be rarely enforced and you are at least using the partner for the flight from the hub (though indications are you're technically supposed to use the partner for the flight to the hub).
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Thats not a RTW he posted... Its simply a trip to North Asia.
Well, he's flying around the world with a destination to north asia and stopover in Europe. It's not a RTW as US Airways defines it, but in the casual sense.

what were the initial objections?

as a side note, it may not always work to tell the the agent the destination and stopover. those are determined purely on distance, not what the passenger chooses.
Initial objections were;

A) I was planning a RTW and therefore needed 300K miles per person. I have a 23-hour layover in IST, and this confused the agent.
B) 100K miles needed because I was going through Europe and they looked at most expensive region
C) Rate desk problems
D) Agent made dreaded written notes on my itinerary, but when I patiently explained the situation to a conscientious agent they were finally able to ticket it at 90K.

Fortunately, *A hub rule never was an issue despite flying LX into FCO.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Nov 14, 2013 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
stopover in a hub city is vaguely enforced... flying in and/or out on the hub airline is even infrequently enforced. You can also stop over in a US AIR gateway city - so that includes places like London.

Agreed. On our DPS-BKK-CDG-FRA-PHL return, we had s 5 day stopover in Paris, not a Star Alliance hub). The agent didn't even comment on it when we booked the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.