Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ecgz88
anyone know how to get through IVR quickly, it's really annoying

again, rep are unable to see available seats on LH, will try my luck in Wednesday

book YVR-LHR(STOP)-IST-PVG-YVR for $265+$50 fee, is it seems right? rep told me can hold 68 hurs
'award travel' -> 'agent' -> 'no' in response to:

- 'in a few words what do you want'
- 'ok, let's get started' (immediately say 'agent' when this is said) and
- 'is this for travel in the USA'

the hold is technically 72 hours, but is actually until midnight on the third day from the time the booking is made.

So could be as little as 49 hours (so i have been told).
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:45 pm

Thanks! try 05/13 ICN-YVR AC064, ANA only show 2 business seats, but United and Aeroplan all show 3+ busi seats, I ask the US agent, she also can just see 2

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
'award travel' -> 'agent' -> 'no' in response to:

- 'in a few words what do you want'
- 'ok, let's get started' (immediately say 'agent' when this is said) and
- 'is this for travel in the USA'

the hold is technically 72 hours, but is actually until midnight on the third day from the time the booking is made.

So could be as little as 49 hours (so i have been told).
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks! try 05/13 ICN-YVR AC064, ANA only show 2 business seats, but United and Aeroplan all show 3+ busi seats, I ask the US agent, she also can just see 2
Trust ANA over UA or Aeroplan!! UA at least has random phantom availability.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My wife and I are flying PRG-FRA-IAD-CLT later this month as the return leg of an award ticket booked with US miles. However, my wife just found out that she has to be in Manchester the day after we're scheduled to fly home.

If we start our day together from PRG-FRA, but then she bails on the rest of the itinerary (i.e. buys a separate ticket to get to MAN), will that impact my ability to go FRA-IAD-CLT on the existing itinerary? Wasn't sure if her failing to show for FRA-IAD or IAD-CLT would impact me, since I'm technically on the same PNR. Any ideas?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:12 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
My apologies in advance, in case this is in the wrong forum, But I would really aprpeciate some help. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

We are a family of four in the WAS area (IAD/DCA/BWI). Each of us has at least 200K DM miles in US. We have a week booked in KOA from June 21 - 28, 2014. I wanted to treat the family to travel in F for this trip.

There is no availability at the saver level on the US website. What little is available is about 90K each way (180K round trip).

We are flexible with dates around this week to facilitate travel in F. I do see saver J availability from IAD-NRT-HNL and IAD-ICN-HNL the week before and after. But again I do not see saver availability from KOA/HNL-WAS. But I do see availability from ICN-WAS and NRT-WAS. My searches were on United.com.

Is something like the following routing legal? IAD-ICN-HNL-NRT-IAD

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by yrs; Nov 12, 2013 at 9:17 am
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by yrs
My apologies in advance, in case this is in the wrong forum, But I would really aprpeciate some help. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

We are a family of four in the WAS area (IAD/DCA/BWI). Each of us has at least 200K DM miles in US. We have a week booked in KOA from June 21 - 28, 2014. I wanted to treat the family to travel in F for this trip.

There is no availability at the saver level on the US website. What little is available is about 90K each way (180K round trip).

We are flexible with dates around this week to facilitate travel in F. I do see saver J availability from IAD-NRT-HNL and IAD-ICN-HNL the week before and after. But again I do not see saver availability from KOA/HNL-WAS. But I do see availability from ICN-WAS and NRT-WAS. My searches were on United.com.

Hawaii through Japan AND Korea?

Probably not, but I guess you could try, because it is US we are talking about. Be
prepared for lots of HUACA. Oh, and you can't use a foreign carrier because of cabotage (it would be a huge fine for a foreign carrier to serve between two USA destinations), so it has to be entirely on UA- no NH or OZ. So probably not.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by yrs
Are you really serious with your question? If so, my serious answer is that this routing is only valid if you transit Australia...

Ever checked the detour on a map? here
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Are you really serious with your question? If so, my serious answer is that this routing is only valid if you transit Australia...

Ever checked the detour on a map? here
I would agree, but it's not the most ridiculous routing I've seen ticketed in this forum. *cough*GUM-AustraliathroughNorthAsiainbusinessat30K*cough*ICN-DMEthroughFrankfurtinFfor40KmileswhenRussiawasinNo rthAsia*cough* We ARE talking about US here.

That being said, I believe there is no US *A carrier flying ICN-HNL nonstop (UA flies GUM-HNL and NRT-HNL). So the OP's itinerary almost certainly breaks cabotage rules and is actually, literally illegal (as in violation of USA law regarding foreign airlines flying purely domestic itineraries- you can't get around that by going to a 3rd country first). I doubt it would get ticketed, and even if it was, you could end up getting the ticket pulled at the airport. That isn't the way to start a vacation, having to argue with an airline about your ticket, hmm?

I'd like to see if someone could get a IAD-NRT-GUM-HNL-NRT-IAD itinerary ticketed as a US award, though, on all UA metal...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
I believe it can be made legal by stopping for over 24 hours in NRT or ICN. Then it becomes an international ticket with a stopover in Hawaii. However, this will make it a N Asia award, 90k for business or 120k for first.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:24 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
If we start our day together from PRG-FRA, but then she bails on the rest of the itinerary (i.e. buys a separate ticket to get to MAN), will that impact my ability to go FRA-IAD-CLT on the existing itinerary? Wasn't sure if her failing to show for FRA-IAD or IAD-CLT would impact me, since I'm technically on the same PNR. Any ideas?
The PNR should split automatically after her no-show, so that your travel is not impacted.

As a courtesy, you may also wish to advise the airline to offload her in FRA.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:29 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

try 05/13 ICN-YVR AC064, ANA only show 2 business seats, but United and Aeroplan all show 3+ busi seats, I ask the US agent, she also can just see 2
The ANA Engine is the most authoritative for *A Award Availability and only 2 C Award Seats are actually available on that flight at the moment:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.1/Diamond - Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA-SP1]
Code:
ICN  Seoul Incheon Intl KR [RKSI]
YVR  Vancouver Metro / Intl BC CA = YVR CXH [CYVR]
TUE  13 May 2014 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
AC         64      ICN   18:10     YVR   12:20     763  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
Code:
ICN  Seoul Incheon Intl KR [RKSI]
YVR  Vancouver Metro / Intl BC CA = YVR CXH [CYVR]
TUE  13 May 2014 | 3 Seats

AC         64      ICN   18:10     YVR   12:20     763  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gwar69
I believe it can be made legal by stopping for over 24 hours in NRT or ICN. Then it becomes an international ticket with a stopover in Hawaii. However, this will make it a N Asia award, 90k for business or 120k for first.
Yeah, that would do it... assuming there isn't a problem because of backtracking to HNL from North Asia back to North Asia to the USA...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:48 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Originally Posted by yrs

My apologies for not explaining more clearly. Since domestic saver in F is not available to HNL, I was considering a North Asia trip with a stopover in HNL in J or F. In such a case, would the following routing be considered legal?

IAD-ICN/NRT(destination)-HNL(stopover)-NRT-IAD or

IAD-ICN/NRT-HNL(stopover)-NRT(destination)-IAD.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Originally Posted by KVS
There are definitely 2+ C Award Seats currently available on that flight.

For tips on dealing with Agents, who may claim otherwise, please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

Code:
JNB  Johannesburg Metro / OR Tambo Intl ZA = JNB HLA [FAJS]
LOS  Lagos Murtala Muhammed NG [DNMM]
THU  06 Feb 2014 | 2 Seats

SA         60      JNB   14:20     LOS   19:35     346  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
After several phone calls I was told US did not have access to either the JNB-LOS leg or the LOS-FRA leg. I pointed out that they were available according to the UA award tool, but was told that US doesn't always get access to those flights. Airlines decide which award seats to make available to certain airlines.

So I am seeing biz saver availability on 2/6/14 JNB-LOS SA60 and LOS-FRA LH595 but the agents can't seem to find both flights at once. I ended up with flights on 2/8 with coach seats on the JNB-LOS leg (daytime flight) and biz seat on the LOS-FRA leg.

Is it true that US can't see the biz award seats I see on the JNB-LOS leg or is this a question of calling again, maybe getting a supervisor?

I did notice that many of the US agents didn't know any of these cities and I had to guide them through the process to some extent. But since the US merger is moving ahead I really want to use up these US miles.

Suggestions?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by DCdeacon21769083
My wife and I are flying PRG-FRA-IAD-CLT later this month as the return leg of an award ticket booked with US miles. However, my wife just found out that she has to be in Manchester the day after we're scheduled to fly home.

Your wife could change her booking if you did not start your travel yet. If you don't have any stopover or open-jaw in your itinerary, she could do on her return a stopover in FRA. Then buying a separate ticket FRA-MAN-FRA and using the USDM ticket to fly back FRA-(xxx)-CLT (if you find availability)... This change should be free of charge for you as US Plat. Be aware, if the CSR want to cancel your bookings, HUACA. They need to split your bookings and then make the changes on your wifes ticket only...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.