Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
there is no written rule regarding pricing if you stop in a higher region... however it seems to be the practice of late that some (now mostly all) will charge you the higher stopping point.

as we just saw... you can get lucky and find an agent happy to ticket simply by origin/destination.
Uh, BKK is the destination when you are routing IAD-BRU-BKK-TPE-LAX-CLT-IAD. The OP's post makes it clear they're trying to get to BKK:

Originally Posted by soccerguy985
Ok, so I recently booked an award ticket for a family member. Had I tried booking IAD-NRT-BKK-NRT-IAD it priced at 120k for business. Unfortunately, that wasn't available the days I was looking for.

I then booked. IAD-BRU-BKK-TPE-LAX-CLT-IAD, in business, and it priced at 90k. I am sure someone will try and complain that I am outing a trick or a deal or something, I just want to know why it priced out at 90k RT. Is it because I circled the world or something.
US is just being their usual random selves when it comes to award pricing and picking the destination out of a hat.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Keep in mind that if you want a stopover at the *A hub, your flight arriving to or departing from that hub must be on the *A partner at which hub you're stopping. If not, the system may price the itinerary differently.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
OK, i'd like to follow up on this.

MS was able to confirm us on the flight that we want, i.e. leaving JFK one day earlier. I see all flights as "confirmed" on MS website.

But when I pull up the reservation on US to re-ticket this, it shows the wrong flight, i.e. the flight that MS originally put me on, and have since changed on our request. I called US, seems they can't see the new "confirmed" flights on MS. The change from MS was made on Tuesday morning, so I thought US should pick up the change by now. Any suggestions on how I can make US see this and re-ticket? I assume US has to reticket this, not MS, right? TIA.

Originally Posted by allanfan
I'd like to share an experience with canceled partner flights.

I was booked as:

JFK-CAI (10 hour layover) on MS986
CAI-JNB (open jar) on MS

SEZ-ADD (layover) on ET
ADD-CAI-JFK on MS

The first leg JFK-CAI, fly out on a Thursday in December. Recently MS986 changed from daily to daily except Tue & Thu. MS computer automatically confirmed me on JFK-CAI on the Friday, unfortunately that will make me miss my CAI-JNB connection.

There is no way to change this using the normal way, as there are absolutely no availabilities around these dates as it's close to Christmas peak season. I had multiple calls with US & MS, US can do absolutely nothing. The agent in NYC for MS is actually very helpful, he said he would send an email to Cairo headquarter to ask them open up seats for me on the Wednesday flight so I can make my original connection to JNB. He said the headquarter is closed for the weekend, and will get back to me on Monday.

To me, a couple lessons and questions. I know it's tremendous value to be able to book on *A partners, and I've done this many times before. But when things go wrong, it's such a hassle to fix. At first, MS agent says he can do nothing as it's a US ticket. The first agent I talked to in US refused to call MS at all. After the 2nd agent from US called MS, I still need to call MS again to fill in blanks that are missed by the US agent.

Separately, I don't understand why MS computer is so stupid that booked me on a flight that will cause misconnection, it should have booked me at the earlier flight to start with.

btw: this is actually the 2nd flight cancellation on this itinerary. I was originally booked as JFK-CAI-JNB (stopover) - HRE-ADD-SEZ (final destination) -ADD-CAI-JFK. One leg in JNB-SEZ was canceled (on ET), so I have to canceled the JNB-SEZ flights, and booked a separate flight using AF miles. This is our first trip to Africa, and it's an understatement to say that it has a rough start. Let's see how it goes (if the trip will happen at all).

Any one else had similar experiences?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Uh, BKK is the destination when you are routing IAD-BRU-BKK-TPE-LAX-CLT-IAD. The OP's post makes it clear they're trying to get to BKK:

US is just being their usual random selves when it comes to award pricing and picking the destination out of a hat.
Or there is a certain perverted logic to them. TPE is farther than BKK from IAD when TATL.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

yes! fair point! my bad.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
OK, I called US again. Apparently this is something the front line CSR can't do, after getting a supervisor, he was able to see the new flights, and we are ticketed! What a hassle, hope this is all worth it at the end.

Originally Posted by allanfan
OK, i'd like to follow up on this.

MS was able to confirm us on the flight that we want, i.e. leaving JFK one day earlier. I see all flights as "confirmed" on MS website.

But when I pull up the reservation on US to re-ticket this, it shows the wrong flight, i.e. the flight that MS originally put me on, and have since changed on our request. I called US, seems they can't see the new "confirmed" flights on MS. The change from MS was made on Tuesday morning, so I thought US should pick up the change by now. Any suggestions on how I can make US see this and re-ticket? I assume US has to reticket this, not MS, right? TIA.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:51 pm

just want to ask what's reward ticket luggage policy? do I need to follow round trip different airline different policy? ......if I want to book return trip shanghai-Beijing-Vancouver, the shanghai-Beijing route will let me use Air China international route luggage policy or not?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ecgz88
just want to ask what's reward ticket luggage policy? do I need to follow round trip different airline different policy? ......if I want to book return trip shanghai-Beijing-Vancouver, the shanghai-Beijing route will let me use Air China international route luggage policy or not?
award baggage allowance is the same as revenue baggage. any additional allowances you may have due to elite status are also granted.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Cheers to LH blocking on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday in my particular case!

I was able to get a Wednesday outbound on hold, however inbound nothing is available... although to others a Saturday was available. HUACA twice so far. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
f[QUOTE=LHR/MEL/Europe FF;21693895]there is no written rule regarding pricing if you stop in a higher region... however it seems to be the practice of late that some (now mostly all) will charge you the higher stopping point.

I think this just happened to me -

EWR/YYZ/PEK
PEK/CPH
CPH/LHR/EWR

Biz Class 100k vs 90K as agent said the award charge is based on the stopover destination that would cost the most miles. So instead of going N America to Asia via Europe, I was charged for going N America to Europe via Asia. Still an OK deal for 100K
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL, CX
Just last week my friend could book LH C on second attempt. Outbound on Sat and Inbound on Mon. So LH blocking is an urban legend. LH seats are available when SHARES is not out of order and the agents are not blind.

Originally Posted by dre_techie
Cheers to LH blocking on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday in my particular case!

I was able to get a Wednesday outbound on hold, however inbound nothing is available... although to others a Saturday was available. HUACA twice so far. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:59 am

Hi,

What exactly does a schedule change allow you to change on a ticket? I've had a schedule change of an hour on one of my flights which is still legal but it means sitting in an transit airport for nearly 4 hrs. I've found other availability transiting through a different airport that would get me into my stopover city 2 hours earlier. Would they let me make such a change? Hypothetically, would they even allow me to change my stopover city entirely (within the rules of course)? Lastly, would they be able to make such a change without cancelling the rest of the ticket?

thanks
goodo

Last edited by goodo; Oct 31, 2013 at 7:11 am
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goodo
Hi,

What exactly does a schedule change allow you to change on a ticket? I've had a schedule change of an hour on one of my flights which is still legal but it means sitting in an transit airport for nearly 4 hrs. I've found other availability transiting through a different airport that would get me into my stopover city 2 hours earlier. Would they let me make such a change? Hypothetically, would they even allow me to change my stopover city entirely (within the rules of course)? Lastly, would they be able to make such a change without cancelling the rest of the ticket?

thanks
goodo
yes, yes, yes. However SHARES is buggy, and you very well may end up with dropped segments. Not a risk to be considered lightly.

Award booking rules only apply to voluntary changes - I have taken a 16 segment USDM booking before because every time there was a sked change, I added a connection and stopover.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by goodo
Hi,

thanks
goodo
Call and ask. "I don't want to accept the changes to my schedule and I propose an alternate" may work. Yes, they should be able to make changes without trashing the ticket, I've done this, HUACA if they say they can't.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
It's always a bit of a lottery, how many miles US will charge for an itinerary...

Recently booked this routing:

ZRH LX LHR C
LHR NH NRT F
NRT NH PEK C (Destination)
PEK TG BKK F (Stopover)
BKK TG MUC F
MUC LX ZRH C

I was prepaired to pay 110'000 because of the stopover in BKK. Then the lady come back from the hold and told me it'll cost 80'000 miles. I did not say no and ticketed immediately This amount has been charged and no single mile more.

80'000 mi is the amount for a C-cl ticket to Nord Asia, F-cl would be 100'000.

Taxes charged 1:1 as showed on ITA Matrix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.