Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer
Just last week my friend could book LH C on second attempt. Outbound on Sat and Inbound on Mon. So LH blocking is an urban legend. LH seats are available when SHARES is not out of order and the agents are not blind.
Not sure what kind of legend it is, but the agent today did find those seats on Saturday (which was my preferred day), however could not see any intra-Europe the following day, I had to add a connection through VIE on OS. I assume the agents yesterday hadn't actually searched segment by segment, however said they did.

The only way I booked LH on other days (not Wed/Sat) was when an agent "tried something", probably a long-sell without me prompting. This was in the summer, and later I needed to book another friend on the same itin, I called another dozen times and couldn't get anyone else to see those intra-EU seats, even when they "sent a request to the partner airline" a few times. Nobody would manually request/long sell.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Call and ask. "I don't want to accept the changes to my schedule and I propose an alternate" may work. Yes, they should be able to make changes without trashing the ticket, I've done this, HUACA if they say they can't.
Attempt #1: Can't make such a change without cancelling and starting afresh. Time for HUACA, fingers crossed!
Attempt #2: Couldn't do it without cancelling
Attempt #3: Could do it, but TXL isn't a *A hub

Last edited by goodo; Nov 1, 2013 at 2:10 am
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
So, it's November 1. Are we still in Star Alliance?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by goodo
Attempt #1: Can't make such a change without cancelling and starting afresh. Time for HUACA, fingers crossed!
Attempt #2: Couldn't do it without cancelling
Attempt #3: Could do it, but TXL isn't a *A hub
Just keep HUACA. I've done routing changes on schedule changes on two US award tickets, in one case going from FRA-YYZ(AC)-ORD-SEA(UA) to FRA-SEA(LH).
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

So, I had something crummy just happen...
I have two PNRs, same itinerary..
EWR-IAH-PEK
PEK-TPE
TPE-ICN-LAX-JFK
F class, with some sectors of course in C... booked on May 16, 2013....
I check my itineraries about once a month, just to make sure everything is okay...

Earlier this month I get notice of a schedule change... leaving me with a short layover in IAH. I know I want to make some other changes to the itinerary so I research a bit and call them up... we get to chatting when the agent informs me that one of the segments on one of the itineraries is coming back as "unconfirmed"( ICN-LAX) so they have me in Coach...

My itinerary still lists O class, and if I look up my ticket on Saudia's website, it also lists O class... I have sent an email to asiana lax office to get some information....

I'm a little (okay a lot PO'ed) that I didn't receive any notification about this...

Any thoughts about how to proceed? I told the agent I would have to think about things a bit....

FDW
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
EWR-IAH-PEK
PEK-TPE
TPE-ICN-LAX-JFK
I check my itineraries about once a month, just to make sure everything is okay...

Earlier this month I get notice of a schedule change... leaving me with a short layover in IAH. I know I want to make some other changes to the itinerary so I research a bit and call them up... we get to chatting when the agent informs me that one of the segments on one of the itineraries is coming back as "unconfirmed"( ICN-LAX) so they have me in Coach...

My itinerary still lists O class, and if I look up my ticket on Saudia's website, it also lists O class... I have sent an email to asiana lax office to get some information....

I'm a little (okay a lot PO'ed) that I didn't receive any notification about this...

Any thoughts about how to proceed? I told the agent I would have to think about things a bit....

FDW
did you call Asiana at the time of the original ticketing and confirm they had ticket numbers against the booking?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:13 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
did you call Asiana at the time of the original ticketing and confirm they had ticket numbers against the booking?
No but I did access their website and input my ticket number to select a seat so I figured that they had it Unfortunately that is no longer an option on their website.

FDW
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:18 am

Quote:

No but I did access their website and input my ticket number to select a seat so I figured that they had it Unfortunately that is no longer an option on their website.

FDW
Actually I take that back. I emailed asiana and they did indeed tell me that both tickets were confirmed.

FDW
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
EWR-IAH-PEK
PEK-TPE
TPE-ICN-LAX-JFK

FDW
Per DOT rules, once you have a confirmed ticket, US cannot cancel it. My guess is that the US system dropped the segment, and then added the X class segment to "fix" the problem. OZ is able to reinstate the original segment (based on the original ticket number), but there is no guarantee that they will be willing to do that.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:39 am

So more info has one to light...

I received a reply from ASiana on 5/17. According to USAirways, on 5/18 there was a schedule change of some sort resulting in the downgrade. However, looking at the flight times and etc there is no difference in arrival, departure times or aircraft type or flight number. So I'm to sure what they are referring to. They've talked to Asiana with no avail. Basically they are telling me that I'm SOL for F on this flight. My options are to figure out a new routing or cancel (or take the coach ticket). Given that it's around the asian New Year I'm SOL it seems for new routing....

FDW
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
So more info has one to light...

I received a reply from ASiana on 5/17. According to USAirways, on 5/18 there was a schedule change of some sort resulting in the downgrade. However, looking at the flight times and etc there is no difference in arrival, departure times or aircraft type or flight number. So I'm to sure what they are referring to. They've talked to Asiana with no avail. Basically they are telling me that I'm SOL for F on this flight. My options are to figure out a new routing or cancel (or take the coach ticket). Given that it's around the asian New Year I'm SOL it seems for new routing....

FDW
sorry to hear that have you confirmed the flight is now operating without first class? and that business is full?

otherwise I'd try and look for something else on EVA or ana? perhaps even last minute something might open up... I know for UA is extremely hard to get confirmed in advance SYD-LAX but a few days before it can open up. but appreciate you will be flying at a busy time.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:46 am

sorry to hear that have you confirmed the flight is now operating without first class? and that business is full?

otherwise I'd try and look for something else on EVA or ana? perhaps even last minute something might open up... I know for UA is extremely hard to get confirmed in advance SYD-LAX but a few days before it can open up. but appreciate you will be flying at a busy time.
Definitely still operating with first given that one passenger is in first.

I can get back on Eva in business which isn't a terrible option given how nice Eva's business is. However I would be inclined to change the entire itinerary to business as well so I need to find outbound availability as well.

FDW
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:11 am

Has anyone experienced trouble with getting US agents to see AC Rouge space? YYZ-CUN is wide open but I've only been able to put YYZ-YUL-CUN on hold.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:14 am

*A Booking "market not being served"

Just got off the phone w/ US trying to book an alliance award on Turkish Airlines.

IAD > ULN

I checked expertflyer and there is good availability, but the agent said that when she tries to put in ULN she gets the error message "market not being served" on her computer.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by zink88
Is this correct? I believe if this was a United award it would price out at the Business level of 100K.
International business/first should book in domestic first assuming availability since US has no domestic business class. US allows no mixed-class award pricing so the entire itinerary should be based on business/first mileage requirements, assuming you're booking at least one segment in business/first.
If there is no availability of FC on any domestic segment the miles required should stay the same although you'll have a coach ticket for that segment.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.