Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:35 pm

I had a lot of issues with dates today. Booking IST-CMB and the said no availability on the 23rd (1:05AM), but there was on the 22nd. They don't operate that route on the 22nd, but I said I'd take it and sure enough it was the 23rd. Don't know if that's a system issue or agent issue.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by pacificboot
I have been on the phone with two seperate US Airways agents. I see J and Y class availability on LH on both united.com and KVS, and agent can't see any availabilities. Is US Airways blocking LH premium class awards recently? I read somewhere there was a IT issue that is doing so, but is solved already a week ago.
Someone could probably tell you for certain, but I do recall reading about united.com showing phantom availability on LH and when you try to actually make the booking the website gives an error. Also, I recall reading about possibly KVS using miles and more for it's availability, which is only available to M&M members and not all *A partners.

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
I had a lot of issues with dates today. Booking IST-CMB and the said no availability on the 23rd (1:05AM), but there was on the 22nd. They don't operate that route on the 22nd, but I said I'd take it and sure enough it was the 23rd. Don't know if that's a system issue or agent issue.
Same thing happened to me, it's a system issue. Was trying to book a flight on the 6th of July, shortly after midnight. When the agent read the flights back to me she said it was the 7th. I said no the 6th. Eventually was able to confirm it by looking for the 5th and it coming back confirmed on the 6th.

goodo
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by pacificboot
I have been on the phone with two seperate US Airways agents. I see J and Y class availability on LH on both united.com and KVS, and agent can't see any availabilities. Is US Airways blocking LH premium class awards recently? I read somewhere there was a IT issue that is doing so, but is solved already a week ago.
I can't redeem LH flights for intra Europe either.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:47 am

I was able to get a FRA-ORD on LH although on the first attempt the US rep didn't see any non-US availability. When I called the next day, they could see it and everything was good to go.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: M&M
The problem lies in US Air, not Lufthansa. So do not hate LH for that.

Originally Posted by pigx5
I can't redeem LH flights for intra Europe either.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVP
From the FAQ, a business class ticket with a coach segment can have that segment upgraded if a business class seat becomes available. I was just told that that only applies to US flights, and that partner (AC in this case) segments can not be upgraded after ticketing. I'm pretty sure I seats will become available, but I want to know if I'll have a chance to get them if I book now. Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:23 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by goodo
Same thing happened to me, it's a system issue. Was trying to book a flight on the 6th of July, shortly after midnight. When the agent read the flights back to me she said it was the 7th. I said no the 6th. Eventually was able to confirm it by looking for the 5th and it coming back confirmed on the 6th.
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Indeed, it is a known issue and is a bit of both:
http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

See also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...l#post21266339
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
From the FAQ, a business class ticket with a coach segment can have that segment upgraded if a business class seat becomes available. I was just told that that only applies to US flights, and that partner (AC in this case) segments can not be upgraded after ticketing. I'm pretty sure I seats will become available, but I want to know if I'll have a chance to get them if I book now. Thanks!
yes you can upgrade when a seat becomes available. applicable change fee applies. and if an agent tells you they need to cancel the whole booking and start again... find another agent
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:29 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by goodo
Someone could probably tell you for certain, but I do recall reading about united.com showing phantom availability on LH and when you try to actually make the booking the website gives an error. Also, I recall reading about possibly KVS using miles and more for it's availability, which is only available to M&M members and not all *A partners.
KVS Tool actually supports both *A Partner Availability, as well as the expanded Award Availability for M&M members.

It is also not subject to the 'Phantom' Award Availability issues that UA.com has.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
yes you can upgrade when a seat becomes available. applicable change fee applies. and if an agent tells you they need to cancel the whole booking and start again... find another agent
So likely 150 per ticket change fee?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
So likely 150 per ticket change fee?
correct... unless you get lucky with an agent that doesn't charge (although that's increasingly rare these days) or if you are exempt from fees because of sufficiently elite elite status
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:00 am

Hello-

Need some help with booking a reward ticket.

My destination is Beijing, I wondered if I could stop by Tokyo outbound and stop by London when I return?

Ideal itinerary
Boston- Tokyo (stay for 3 days) - Beijing (destination)
Beijing- London, Pairs (stay for 6 days) - Boston

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, QWERT1!

Have you read the first post in this thread with the basic rules?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:16 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by QWERT1
Hello-

Need some help with booking a reward ticket.

My destination is Beijing, I wondered if I could stop by Tokyo outbound and stop by London when I return?

Ideal itinerary
Boston- Tokyo (stay for 3 days) - Beijing (destination)
Beijing- London, Pairs (stay for 6 days) - Boston

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I'd definitely suggest reading Post #1 as goliath suggested, but the short answer to your question is yes, though not as you've described. You may only have one stopover (per the rules, of course many of us have had agents break them for us, but YMMV) -- that is, a stop in a city for more than 24 hours. I assume you're stopping in Beijing for longer than 24 hours, so you may not also do this in Tokyo and Paris.

Flying through Europe though, should not be an issue. I've done this multiple times.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by LM225
I'd definitely suggest reading Post #1 as goliath suggested, but the short answer to your question is yes, though not as you've described. You may only have one stopover (per the rules, of course many of us have had agents break them for us, but YMMV) -- that is, a stop in a city for more than 24 hours. I assume you're stopping in Beijing for longer than 24 hours, so you may not also do this in Tokyo and Paris.

Flying through Europe though, should not be an issue. I've done this multiple times.
thanks LLM 225 and goliath! I read the 1st page but was still confused, i will read it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.