Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by geo1005
As FCO is a US international destination, this should not be a problem.
So if I'm traveling on a *A itinerary, that shouldn't be a problem? It seems that the international destination rule is applicable only to US Airways itineraries (at least that's how I read it).
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
So if I'm traveling on a *A itinerary, that shouldn't be a problem? It seems that the international destination rule is applicable only to US Airways itineraries (at least that's how I read it).
As always, YMMV based on how knowledgable your agent is, but this should definitely not be an issue. I just ticketed a *A partner award yesterday with a stopover in AMS -- not a hub for any *A airline.

If you run into any resistance, just HUCA, this should be an easy one to do.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
Similar problem calling US last night... First seat showed up on the ANA website - UA flight FRA-ORD..

US agent said she couldn't see it....
So is the answer to try again tomorrow?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:44 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
So is the answer to try again tomorrow?
yes, no known issues seeing UA awards
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by soy
yes, no known issues seeing UA awards
And it was successful this time. ^
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:11 am

I will try again then! (Nothing ventured...etc...)^
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:31 am

Is there a set rule for sidetrips?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by MarioRossi
Is there a set rule for sidetrips?
depends what you want. there are various rules that can (emphasis on 'can') come into play to deny your side trip, but as always, YMMV.

common issue might be that of going against the most direct routing, or being charged for a higher zone if you cross over into one.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:58 am

Booked my next next trip over the weekend for Easter 2014.

I had not planed to book this trip for a while, but after watching the inventory slowly disappearing and taking into account the issues with getting award seats on LH, and the future maybe merger, I thought it would be best to act.

So the itinerary is for 2 persons and is as follows:

OSL-CDG: SK C
CDG-BKK: TG F A380
BKK-HKG: TG F 747 - Stopover
HKG-TPE: BR C
TPE-PVG: CA F A340 - Destination
PVG-ICN: OZ C - Layover
ICN-FRA: OZ F 747
FRA-OSL: SK C

Total cost was 100000 USDM + taxes and fees.

A couple of new things since the last time I booked.

- I had to wait 24 hours for USAirways to confirm the seats with TG, before they could ticket my reservation. Never had that before.
- Seats reservation were made by USAirways (maybe automatically) in the reservation for SK, TG, CA and OZ (not BR). Seats assigments were not satisfactory in F so I changed them one by one with each respective airline.
- Taxes and fees were quoted in my local currency. Never happened before.

Process on the phone went fine to book the flights, but was a pain the following day to actually ticket the reservation. In the end the agent managed, but it took quite a while.

//
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
obviously one way is in the case of irrops as outlined by PVDtoDEL. UA did the same for me a couple years back when I misconnected off one of their services at ORD (on a USDM ticket) and they pulled out all the stops to get me to Europe, even offering a oneworld flight to get me home in time.

the other way is to request an agent to do a 'long sell', a manual request for something which doesn't automatically show.

but reports on FT suggest agents have been instructed not to long sell for LH F. knowing that, I personally wouldn't ask an agent to do something that could get them into trouble.

as for the blogger writing about LH F... maybe it was booked before the explicit 'no LH F' was added to the award chart... but he says it was booked at short notice, which implies after the award chart was changed.

even after someone commented on his blog with a link to this thread, his comments remained.

I don't know whether it was an attempt to get business. but if it was me I probably would have removed the offending part of the blog to at least protect the agents involved.

as a buyer of USDM miles I thank USDM for the opportunity and live with the restrictions (which really aren't that onerous).

but if I were a BIS US elite, slogging it out every week to get my miles, I'd be concerned if someone was able to swing the system to get availability that I couldn't.
Could not agree more. A few trying to abuse the system are only going to make it worse for all of us.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:25 am

Hi,

Can some one tell me if you can buy and gift to receive bonus points in the current promotion.

I have bought the points many times but it appears the rules are different whereby I can not get the bonus for both 50,000 buy and gift transactions- only a total of 50,000 points will be given as a bonus.

Thanks

Ps, before someone smart tells me on page 992 some one had already asked- I searched for a while but could find any post in the last couple of days.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk

- I had to wait 24 hours for USAirways to confirm the seats with TG, before they could ticket my reservation. Never had that before.

Process on the phone went fine to book the flights, but was a pain the following day to actually ticket the reservation. In the end the agent managed, but it took quite a while.

//
When I booked a DM-awardflight in January I was told the same 24h rule with TG, altho no mention of this in August when I bought another award trip. Can confirm it took 45 min just to ticket three reservations..that was a loong wait.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Insomnia4u
When I booked a DM-awardflight in January I was told the same 24h rule with TG, altho no mention of this in August when I bought another award trip. Can confirm it took 45 min just to ticket three reservations..that was a loong wait.
Booked a res with some TG (and OZ, LH, TK, UA) flights a month ago. Was priced & ticketed very quickly and efficiently without any delays or issues, though the agent did go through some papers and calculations to check the routing/MPM (as I was just a few miles short of MPM 25M going in one direction) and questioned where did I find the routing.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
How reliable is the info on Saudia? One of my domestic UA flights changed (just a few minutes, but the real change was aircraft and flight#). On Saudia I still see the old flight#.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: SK EBS, FB Ivory, AA
Originally Posted by lscorpio
Equipment change Asiana, no F between FRA-ICN?

Got a notice today that my US itinerary had changed. My original itinerary (booked and confirmed in January) was:
25SEP LH803 ARN-FRA (in C), OZ542 FRA-ICN (in F)
29SEP OZ541 ICN-FRA (in F), SK674 FRA-ARN (in C)

Apparently OZ has an equipment change and no first class on the selected dates between FRA-ICN.
So they downgraded me +1 to C. I called and asked if they have generally removed F between the cities but they only confirmed that it was not available due to equipment change on my specific travel dates to and from ICN. Still I see that they fly the 744 on these dates?
US reservations asked if I was OK with C or if they should redeposit my miles. Thinking about the latter if this equipment change is true?
Called OZ who confirmed only C was available, however they had unsold seats in F for the day after on both legs. The friendly agent asked if USDM could get in touch with her and she would try to arrange for F seats. ANA tool showed no availability and USDM could not see any availability either. After 5 days and a couple of calls with USDM, the 2 F seats were released and US was able to ticket the trip! Never thought it was possible, kudos to US for their support (all agents were going over the top to assist)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.