Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Gamecock
I know. I've done LH and BA. Many US carriers F is certainly better.
You certainly mean no lounge access and the yummy F-cl snack baskets...
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:41 pm

Has anyone found a solution on how to display an itinerary that won't display on usairways.com? I've had this problem in the past with any CA segments on the itinerary. I just held a trip to KBL with segments on TK and OZ and it won't show up, but I need it to work on my visa. Any advice? Will a site like tripit or something work?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by keirnna
Has anyone found a solution on how to display an itinerary that won't display on usairways.com? I've had this problem in the past with any CA segments on the itinerary. I just held a trip to KBL with segments on TK and OZ and it won't show up, but I need it to work on my visa. Any advice? Will a site like tripit or something work?
Maybe by using your eticket number here: http://www.saudiairlines.com/
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Are you sure that the ticket is valid and there isn't some flight cancellation or schedule change? I have some US award res w/ TK and OZ (among others) that show up online just fine.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Are you sure that the ticket is valid and there isn't some flight cancellation or schedule change? I have some US award res w/ TK and OZ (among others) that show up online just fine.

Also, when it was ticketed you should have received an e-mail with all the flights and the ticket number, so why not just use that?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
You certainly mean no lounge access and the yummy F-cl snack baskets...
Not US, US based carriers. Much better hard product. Meals on AA and UA F tend to be pretty good.

As far as lounges, I clearly was talking about the plane, not the preflight experience.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Code:
US AIRWAYS PHOENIX	152.50 USD
US AIRWAYS PHOENIX	75.00 USD
US AIRWAYS PHOENIX	50.00 USD
US AIRWAYS PHOENIX	165.10 USD
US AIRWAYS PHOENIX	152.50 USD
US AIRWAYS PHOENIX	75.00 USD
So I booked 3 x tickets, all at the same time with the same agent. They all have the same departure date (1 differs slightly on routing)

These are the charges on my credit card.

The tickets are for travel in 8 weeks (well beyond the 21 day quick ticketing timeframe, so not sure why I was charged 2x $75 fees).

Think it would be ok to call back in January after I take the trip (creative routing) to get the cash back?

Last edited by davem4; Oct 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
By rule, it is supposed to be most expensive region transited, it's just that US prices it wrong a lot of the time.

Also, you can't open-jaw a stopover- just destination or origin.
most expensive region where you STOP rather than transit.

as for it being a 'rule' it's an unwritten rule still? its been creeping in for the last year or so and admittedly I haven't re-read the membership guide for a couple of weeks now... but has it been formally written in?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:56 pm

my friend used US miles to book Swiss air Business class roundtrip between PEK and Zurich, US airways advises to check baggage policy with flight carrier, so my friend called the Swiss air , and Swiss Air says that she will have 0 baggage allowance unless she calls US airways and ask US airways to put the number of baggages into the note of the system? has anyone heard about that? Business class will have no checked bag allowance unless she ask US air to put such note?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

BS for sure..... 2 checked bags are standard for Business class.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by turtleisland
How long does it take to ticket an award? I booked about 20 hours ago but it still isn't showing up. I received a confirmation code from the agent, but it looks like no ticket numbers have been issued yet.
Just reporting back I was right to be concerned because even though I was given the confirmation number and I had the miles deducted and a pending cc charge, it was not ticketed and as of 2 days after they did not call me back. I finally called and was told I was scheduled for a call back tomorrow, but by then I would have lost my seats.

I know there are already reports of this here (reservation canceled after being charged but before being ticketed) so just sharing a data point. It was denied ticketing because it had an open jaw and stopover and had 10 segments.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: DL, CX
The agent I had today told me that Oneworld is a part of *A.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:32 am

US is not letting me book RGN-NRT on NH. Tried HUACA 3 times - first agent and super said that they don't issue awards on NH anymore! Second agent was unhelpful. Third agent was finally able to book NRT-RGN but not RGN-NRT. We'd rather do the reverse given timing (cherry blossom season). They see RGN-NRT as a flight for a revenue ticket but the computer tells them "this destination is not served" for an award ticket.

Haven't tried long sell yet - don't have high hopes and not sure if it would even work in this situation. My alternative is to go RGN-BKK/SIN-NRT on TG/SQ/NH but I'd rather get the NH non-stop if possible.

Anyone have experience with this? UA and NH both show lots of space on this flight and the flight obviously exists...
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
most expensive region where you STOP rather than transit.

as for it being a 'rule' it's an unwritten rule still? its been creeping in for the last year or so and admittedly I haven't re-read the membership guide for a couple of weeks now... but has it been formally written in?
So if I flew JFK-NRT-ALA(<24hrs)-FRA-JFK I would only pay the north asia rate?
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: DL, CX
I think Starnet blocking is in place again.
I tried to book ICN-NRT-HNL-ICN on NH and OZ.
The agent could not find a seat on NRT-HNL on NH, and told me that the system(SHARES) said "NH does not fly to HNL".

Originally Posted by abcx
US is not letting me book RGN-NRT on NH. Tried HUACA 3 times - first agent and super said that they don't issue awards on NH anymore! Second agent was unhelpful. Third agent was finally able to book NRT-RGN but not RGN-NRT. We'd rather do the reverse given timing (cherry blossom season). They see RGN-NRT as a flight for a revenue ticket but the computer tells them "this destination is not served" for an award ticket.

Haven't tried long sell yet - don't have high hopes and not sure if it would even work in this situation. My alternative is to go RGN-BKK/SIN-NRT on TG/SQ/NH but I'd rather get the NH non-stop if possible.

Anyone have experience with this? UA and NH both show lots of space on this flight and the flight obviously exists...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.