Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:16 pm
zlc

Originally Posted by wordsew
I'm open to suggestions as to what gateway may give me a shot at getting 5 biz award tix
I managed to book 4 tickets SEA-FRA-PVG-SEA, all in Business and on the same flights back in Jan for Jun/July this year. However, there were a total of 8 legs in it.

5 maybe doable if you are not picky about the dates and willing to connect.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum

It looks like LH block all tickets for USairways.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:39 am

I've checked my booking on USAirways.com and there's a schedule change. Only I can't find it. I've had schedule changes in the past and they've ranged from a flight time changing by 10 mins, or changing by an hour or a flight number changing.

What else can cause a schedule change because i've compared it to my email confirmation and everything's the same, dates, flight numbers, times, aircraft. I'd rather not 'accept' the change yet, in case I actually need to change something down the track and can use this to make it, I just don't know what this is yet.

thanks
goodo
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by goodo
I've checked my booking on USAirways.com and there's a schedule change. Only I can't find it. I've had schedule changes in the past and they've ranged from a flight time changing by 10 mins, or changing by an hour or a flight number changing.

What else can cause a schedule change because i've compared it to my email confirmation and everything's the same, dates, flight numbers, times, aircraft. I'd rather not 'accept' the change yet, in case I actually need to change something down the track and can use this to make it, I just don't know what this is yet.

thanks
goodo
Have you just selected seats for any of your flights? This could have caused "a schedule change" email from US. It happened to me, when I phoned up SA to select seats for our flights next year. Nothing else changed for our bookings.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by A1pax
Have you just selected seats for any of your flights? This could have caused "a schedule change" email from US. It happened to me, when I phoned up SA to select seats for our flights next year. Nothing else changed for our bookings.
While I did select some seats recently, they appear blank on my reservation on US's website, so I doubt that's the cause.

goodo
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by goodo
While I did select some seats recently, they appear blank on my reservation on US's website, so I doubt that's the cause.

goodo
A call to US then to find out what triggered the email. When I phoned, the agent said he could not see any obvious change either (like flight number, scheduled date or time), but when I said it was the seat selection, he agreed.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:09 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by jqihe862
if it is <24hours and no APD, then I think 235.80$ is not correct, can you estimate how much tax it will be?
You can go to Saudi Arabia Airlines website to check the taxes on your ticket- put in your ticket number and it'll show the breakdown...

$235.80 does seem low in light of APD... LHR-TPE is just over 6K miles so it would be 188 pounds in the premium cabin for APD....

FDW
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:25 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

So quick synopsis of what happened with my ticket.....
To review I had this booked on May 16th:
EWR-IAH-PEK
PEK-TPE
TPE-ICN-LAX-JFK
With the ICN-LAX segment booked in F on OZ....
Confirmed May 17th, apparently on May18th some sort of schedule change resulted in F unconfirmed and placement in Y.....

Didn't find out about it till last week. Very confusing because every time I contacted OZ they told me that I was booked in F (giving them the confirmation code I received at the time of booking). US however insisted that F was confirmed and the seat was in coach...

US was fairly unhelpful. Even in light of multiple emails documenting the F seat. Finally, someone at OZ figured out what was wrong... Indeed, there seat was in F; however, somehow a second booking had been made as well, with a completely different confirmation code... and that was the unconfirmed booking that US somehow had now... The OZ agent deleted the different/unconfirmed booking and instructed me not to let US touch the other book. She reiterated that the first PNR was valid with a ticket number attached to it...

Now, my itinerary in US's eyes looks like this:
EWR-IAH-PEK
PEK-TPE
LAX-JFK
Definitely illegal eh? The PNR for OZ that US had was the second one... US told me I have two choices 1) Trust Asiana that everything is okay and fly the ticket or 2) Cancel..
I've asked ASiana if they can somehow consolidate things so that US can see the ticket. I have a large amount of documentation (emails) from Asiana affirming the F seat but any thoughts on the best course of action? Any ever see anything like this before?

FDW
Old Nov 6, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
US told me I have two choices 1) Trust Asiana that everything is okay and fly the ticket or 2) Cancel..
True

I've asked ASiana if they can somehow consolidate things so that US can see the ticket.
Not possible with an existing only viewable booking on OZ...

Let OZ confirm you the two flights including US ticket number. Then you should be fine or at least have this confirmation in written with you!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
So quick synopsis of what happened with my ticket.....
To review I had this booked on May 16th:
EWR-IAH-PEK
PEK-TPE
TPE-ICN-LAX-JFK
With the ICN-LAX segment booked in F on OZ....
Confirmed May 17th, apparently on May18th some sort of schedule change resulted in F unconfirmed and placement in Y.....

Didn't find out about it till last week. Very confusing because every time I contacted OZ they told me that I was booked in F (giving them the confirmation code I received at the time of booking). US however insisted that F was confirmed and the seat was in coach...

US was fairly unhelpful. Even in light of multiple emails documenting the F seat. Finally, someone at OZ figured out what was wrong... Indeed, there seat was in F; however, somehow a second booking had been made as well, with a completely different confirmation code... and that was the unconfirmed booking that US somehow had now... The OZ agent deleted the different/unconfirmed booking and instructed me not to let US touch the other book. She reiterated that the first PNR was valid with a ticket number attached to it...

Now, my itinerary in US's eyes looks like this:
EWR-IAH-PEK
PEK-TPE
LAX-JFK
Definitely illegal eh? The PNR for OZ that US had was the second one... US told me I have two choices 1) Trust Asiana that everything is okay and fly the ticket or 2) Cancel..
I've asked ASiana if they can somehow consolidate things so that US can see the ticket. I have a large amount of documentation (emails) from Asiana affirming the F seat but any thoughts on the best course of action? Any ever see anything like this before?

FDW
A similar issue happened to me once with US/LX, but before ticketing. If the ticket is correctly issued (check on SV website) and OZ has the ticket number against their PNR, then it shouldn't be problematic. Watch out for any ticket reissues - IRROPS or a sked change causing the whole ticket to get reissued may cause a problem.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium

Just a data point- for a reservation made on 6th Nov for 4 pax (separate PNRs) Multi-leg roundtrip on SQ/OZ/BR/TG

OZ segments 'dropped' on the usairways.com site at Ticketing+24 for 1 passanger. Schedule change notice and a note to call in appeared on the site.

Called OZ (SGP), was informed that reservation was showing 'unconfirmed- no seat available' under the OZ confirmation code US provided (#1)

Agent looked again (slightly confused) and found a double booking with a confirmed seat for the same pax under a different confirmation number (#2)

OZ agent cancelled booking #1, linked US 037 ticket to booking #2 and told me I'm good to go. She mentioned that if she did not cancel and reassign the 037 number to booking #2, system would have cancelled #1 due to duplicate and #2 due to no issue.

I then called US to accept the schedule change and informed them about the accurate OZ confirmation code.

Will continue to monitor and update!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Can someone with Expert Flyer please check the MPM for BCN-BNE?

I'm finding several options. The majority use LH in convenient connections which seem to have plenty of availability on UA & ANA tools but I am worried US won't see this LH space (per prior reports) so I need to form some back-ups. Going via PEK (MPM permitting) if I can get a long enough layover to dash into town and see the Forbidden City or something.

This is also my last chance to try some different J class between Australia & Europe. We already have to use TG & SQ out of BNE so trying to get some LH, TK, BR, CA between Europe & SIN or BKK. MS is widely available but the layover is less than 4 hours so not enough time for a quickie CAI trip. We have already been around Europe and IST so would prefer a quickie trip via PEK or TPE. The return is an open jaw so no stopovers allowed.

I would like to get BCN-ZRH-GVA-PEK-SIN-BNE if it's in the MPM with 12 hour layover in PEK on LX, CA & SQ.

Plan B is BCN-ZRH-AMS-TPE or BKK-BNE on LX & BR

Are the 9W TK flights better or worse than the normal ones? We would book J but have no status so probably won't get the first row seats.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:31 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kohswisscheese
Just a data point- for a reservation made on 6th Nov for 4 pax (separate PNRs) Multi-leg roundtrip on SQ/OZ/BR/TG

OZ segments 'dropped' on the usairways.com site at Ticketing+24 for 1 passanger. Schedule change notice and a note to call in appeared on the site.

Called OZ (SGP), was informed that reservation was showing 'unconfirmed- no seat available' under the OZ confirmation code US provided (#1)

Agent looked again (slightly confused) and found a double booking with a confirmed seat for the same pax under a different confirmation number (#2)

OZ agent cancelled booking #1, linked US 037 ticket to booking #2 and told me I'm good to go. She mentioned that if she did not cancel and reassign the 037 number to booking #2, system would have cancelled #1 due to duplicate and #2 due to no issue.

I then called US to accept the schedule change and informed them about the accurate OZ confirmation code.

Will continue to monitor and update!
Looks like a similar situation to me... can US see the accurate OZ confirmation code?

FDW
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:15 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Tiki
I would like to get BCN-ZRH-GVA-PEK-SIN-BNE if it's in the MPM with 12 hour layover in PEK on LX, CA & SQ.
Yes, it is:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.1 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: BCN-ZRH-GVA-PEK-SIN-BNE]
Code:

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC SUR  HGL   LWL   25M  XTRA       
BCN 2                                                           
ZRH 2 EH   532   532   638  EH  0M   106     0   797     0      
GVA 2 EH   144   676   474  EH EXC     0    84   592     0      
BJS 3 EH  5097  5773  7096  EH  0M  1323     0  8870     0      
SIN 3 EH  2791  8564  8209  EH  5M    55   355 10261     0      
BNE 3 EH  3818 12382 12789  EH  0M   407     0 15986     0
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Getting US to find those inter-EU LH flights is a pain. I got a very friendly agent who was able to find me EWR-LHR-FRA on UA/LH, but she can't find me TXL-CDG for the return journey. The agent tried "manually requesting" the seat, does she mean she did a long-sell? She said it came back with no response.

I just called US back to get the UA/LH confirmation numbers and the flight the original US agent said she was not able to get shows up on UA.com and LH.com. LH even has the green check mark in the status column. I guess the request did go through successfully after all.

Last edited by merc1234; Nov 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.