Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mediator
I called US Air about a schedule change and was rebooked onto NH. I have the confirmation code for NH but NH could not locate my reservation. I called US Air again and they said it might take 24 hours for NH to see my reservation. Is it normal? BTW the flight is operated by ANA NOT Air Japan.
Update 11:30PM, that flight is gone from my reservation has to on hold for an hour to sort this out. Clearly there is some problems between US and NH. The agent said US could see the seat but NH cannot confirm it. Looks like blocking by NH. FYI the flight number was NH919 on Dec.11.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:09 am

the Biz seat for Air Canada from YYZ to LHR in Nov 26 is not available, will AC provide the Biz seat for award ticket before departure?
I am checking it everyday now.
please give suggestion.
thanks
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Update 11:30PM, that flight is gone from my reservation has to on hold for an hour to sort this out. Clearly there is some problems between US and NH. The agent said US could see the seat but NH cannot confirm it. Looks like blocking by NH. FYI the flight number was NH919 on Dec.11.
yes... this is NRT-PVG?

I used to fly this route regularly and whether or not USDM could see NH seemed quite random. I got NH most of the time, but a couple of times had to settle for CA. This is going back to 2010/11 - so not a new problem.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
yes... this is NRT-PVG?

I used to fly this route regularly and whether or not USDM could see NH seemed quite random. I got NH most of the time, but a couple of times had to settle for CA. This is going back to 2010/11 - so not a new problem.
Yep, NRT-PVG on dreamliner.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dukerau
Ah, nice point. I just looked for ATH-JMK and found availability most every day in the spring until May 17, then nothing. It sounds like United doesn't get/release A3 availability for the full 330 days in advance. Anyone know the release schedule?
Today May 18 is bookable. Seems they load on UA 190 days (updated daily) in advance, for those who are curious. Also, I did called US to do a dummy booking ATH-JMK-ATH, and with dates in June they said "we do not have service in this region," but when I gave dates in early May, they matched the options on UA and ANA. Seems US and UA both only have bookings up to 190 days out.

Last edited by dukerau; Nov 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
have had a booking ticketed for 6 mths now the ZRH to BRU on swiss has disappeared.
so they obviously want me to walk from zurich to BRU to get on the flight.
on hold now trying to sort it out but looks like LH and swiss both blocking their flights.
tried to book a flight avail on UA and ANA LHR to FRA on 16 dec . not any flight avail at all suing USAIR miles the going said that LH are not happy with the merger so blocking the flights I spoke to supervisor who confirmed it.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by aussielori
have had a booking ticketed for 6 mths now the ZRH to BRU on swiss has disappeared.
on hold now trying to sort it out but looks like LH and swiss both blocking their flights.
tried to book a flight avail on UA and ANA LHR to FRA on 16 dec . not any flight avail at all suing USAIR miles the going said that LH are not happy with the merger so blocking the flights I spoke to supervisor who confirmed it.
Have you tried SN?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
there are known problems with LH availability (per sticky at top of page). wed/sat seems ok, and some other times random flights have been found.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Originally Posted by vysean
All You Need to Know About Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Miles

[

I'm booked in [First, Business] but one of my flights is in [Business, Coach] - can I change it to the higher class?
Yes, before travel commences, you can change the class of service on a segment if a seat becomes available. There should be no cost to do this. Note that you must have paid the higher mileage rate when you originally ticketed the award. (reported okay as of 27 Oct. 2011 by mercflight and confirmed by ArizonaGuy - thanks!)

[B.
I have always been charged $150 to upgrade a segment even when I have paid for first class return.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yerffej201
no more getting lh f with usdm. period. not possible. not even the bloggers can do it anymore (as i've heard through the grapevine)
Still possible.

But not worth my time at the going rate for award bookers...

NH does no blocking. It's all US.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Still possible.

But not worth my time at the going rate for award bookers...

NH does no blocking. It's all US.
yeah, but you have to call 1509837491827398347293847 times and it's still luck of the draw, and still t-14. practically non-existent imo.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Aussielori, what happened? Did Swiss cancel the whole flight or is the flight operating but something went wrong with your booking?

In the next few days I will be booking flights between BCN & BNE. The only *A flights out of BCN on my date are LH, LX, OS, TK & MS. Actually the MS timings are pretty good but I'm a bit wary of that airline because of Egypt's instability and I want to make sure my flights are as stable as possible!

Are LH, LX & OS blocking J class within Europe? I'd like to either get to AMS and hook up with BR for AMS-TPE-BNE (I think the first flight is Royal Laurel) or GVA & hook up with CA for GVA-PEK so we can have a quick visit to Beijing on the way home with final flights PEK-SIN-BNE.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
They cancelled an already ticketed flight?? that's very different to blocking award availability for new awards.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: DL, CX
Why does LH particularly care about US leaving *A?
Maybe the call center supervisor himself is angry with US leaving *A, for fear of losing his job after the merger.

Last edited by deltaflyinglawyer; Nov 10, 2013 at 6:31 am
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:58 am

Is US really blocking LH seats both intra-Europe and long-haul? I have a very simple one stop itinerary and can't book any of the LH segments. I've called several agents and none can see the seat. In economy or business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.