FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:24 pm
ArizonaGuy

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
So if I'm Booked on a F ticket and have two legs in Y . If later closer to the date of departure they release seat in F or J who do I call to change ? Do I call us airways or can u call the airline directly let them know I'm on a F award and like to secure the upgrade seat?

Thanks once again
Originally Posted by goliath
You call US and (usually) pay the change fee of USD 150 per person.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
$150 per time you change. If two seats open at the one time on the same call... $150 total.

If you have to ring up two times and they have to change each time, then $150 per time.

If you are doing this for your family of 4 could add up to a lot of money!
Originally Posted by mercflight
If I understand the OP correctly he is holding a ticketed F award.
I have never had to pay a $150 fee to change from a lower COS to the ticketed class if this opens up between purchase and departure. Just did this with a TG flight where my gf was stuck in Y on one segment when the ticket was issued, two weeks later business class opened up, I called US and it was changed without a fee. In any case, you always have to call US not the operating carrier.
Agree 100% with mercflight: If you redeemed the appropriate mileage for the higher class but took space in a lower class due to availability, you can be moved into the higher class at a later date if it opens up without paying $150 change fee. If they try to charge, talk to another agent. There are at least a half dozen of us in this thread who have successfully done this, usually more than once.

The caveat: You must have at least one segment in the higher cabin to have been able to redeem the higher mileage. You couldn't book a ticket SYD-SIN-FRA-SIN-SYD entirely in Y but pay the C/J mileage from the start unless one of those segments was in C at booking. It is in this case you would have to pay the change fee, or more likely the redeposit fee.

Agent will likely insist on canceling the ticket and issuing the new one since they apparently have no mechanism for deducting the difference in mileage between a Y and C/J award (or C/J and F). So in this particular case it would be best to put a new award on hold prior to canceling/redepositing the original one.