Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Hmm, well played, I guess I forgot about that. You'd think the agent could have reminded me...twice.

Go Gators

Last edited by GNVGator; Jul 20, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:03 pm

I've completed all of the groundwork for a US Air 90,000 mile US - North Asia via Europe Star Alliance award, but I have one quick question before I make the call: Will they allow me to go west from the US to Asia, and then return home continuing west from Asia to the US (with a stopover in Europe)? For example, will JFK - PEK (destination) - FRA (stopover) - JFK qualify, or do I have to reverse direction when returning to the US? Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:21 pm

You can do either US - Europe - Asia - US or US - Europe - Asia - Europe - US.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
You can do either US - Europe - Asia - US or US - Europe - Asia - Europe - US.
So no US - Asia - Europe - US?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
As per the US airways membership guide... (it's a quick 10 minute read and contains the routing restrictions)... travel from North America to Europe is not allowed via Asia.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Actually if you're pricing it as the 90K level for North Asia (not the 100K Europe level, funny enough) I don't see why not.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Need help - US agent cannot see LH biz class award that is bookable on ANA and UA

I tried to use US miles to redeem an LH biz class award ticket. I checked both ANA and United and find award availability. I called US and the agent told me that it is not available. She said that she can see availability on the same flight on the next day that I requested.

Called twice, got the same answer. I thought SA members share the same award inventory from LH.

Is there anyway I could book the flight with US?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by epitopeX
I tried to use US miles to redeem an LH biz class award ticket. I checked both ANA and United and find award availability. I called US and the agent told me that it is not available. She said that she can see availability on the same flight on the next day that I requested.

Called twice, got the same answer. I thought SA members share the same award inventory from LH.

Is there anyway I could book the flight with US?

Many thanks!
If they can't "see" it they cannot book it. You might want to book the flight on the next day as LH space has been drying up super fast with US.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
If they can't "see" it they cannot book it. You might want to book the flight on the next day as LH space has been drying up super fast with US.
If I book the flight on the next day then the next segment is not available. Considering that I'm booking 11 months out, I have to strongly agree with you that award space are drying out super fast. Not only LH space, but UA space as well...

Last edited by epitopeX; Jul 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
absolutely. there will likely be a $150 change fee for the change of class.

you can only try.
ok. availability is showing up as I'm 14 days out..

so if I'm already ticketed on a F class ticket but have Biz seats and F is now "available" however dubious that maybe.. there is a $150 fee?

is there any contradictory evidence where its usually waived if already ticketed on F class but on Biz was available at the time and they are just changing class?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by kelix

so if I'm already ticketed on a F class ticket but have Biz seats and F is now "available" however dubious that maybe.. there is a $150 fee?

is there any contradictory evidence where its usually waived if already ticketed on F class but on Biz was available at the time and they are just changing class?
it used to be the case a couple years ago that e change of class (provided you already held a ticket in the higher class) was free of charge.

this seems, for the most part, to have been changed, and the $150 seems to be applied to most people.

you could decline the change during the call and try again with another agent. but the risk is that a note has already been put into your booking regarding the fee by the first agent.

there have also been reports of some agents wanting to cancel the entire ticket -and start again for a change of class. that's entirely not necessary!!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
That's a well known problem for bookings after 31OCT13 on LH... Book what the agents can see, otherwise check other *A parters.... More information in the last few pages in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html

Originally Posted by epitopeX
I thought SA members share the same award inventory from LH.
That was newer so. Some airlines get better availability than others. I.ex. agreement between LH and SQ... And a lot of airlines release much more seats to it's own frequent flyers than to others.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by kelix
If you mean LH F then it's not possible to get the seats...
Just go one page back in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21131060-post17160.html
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
If you mean LH F then it's not possible to get the seats...
Just go one page back in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21131060-post17160.html
I get it, but I've seen some sparse reports of people obtaining.. so i thought id try my best social engineering muscle to try

manual long sells etc and giving them the code to try.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
That's a well known problem for bookings after 31OCT13 on LH... Book what the agents can see, otherwise check other *A parters.... More information in the last few pages in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html

That was newer so. Some airlines get better availability than others. I.ex. agreement between LH and SQ... And a lot of airlines release much more seats to it's own frequent flyers than to others.
Thanks for directing me to the thread. About the award inventory, I didn't include the airline's own FFP when saying SA members. I was under the impression that what ANA can book US can book as well but that's apparently not true anymore.

I was hoping to try the new LH 747-8 in biz... well, maybe next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.