Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by genesys9
Quick question, do we earn miles for business class award tickets?

If yes, what are the parameters.

Looked thru on US air site, found the language confusing.
No miles are earnt for any kind of award ticket issued by US. There are very few FFPs that offer this as an option (think QF is one) and the mechanics of such FFPs are somewhat different to that of USDM.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by nicksname
No miles are earnt for any kind of award ticket issued by US. There are very few FFPs that offer this as an option (think QF is one) and the mechanics of such FFPs are somewhat different to that of USDM.
I believe AA has something similar by paying double the amount of miles too.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by genesys9
Quick question, do we earn miles for business class award tickets?

If yes, what are the parameters.

Looked thru on US air site, found the language confusing.
And do pigs fly???
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
USDM told me the third party authorization was only for a third party to make bookings on behalf of the member... that is... you (as husband) could book a ticket for your wife, for her travel, if you were authorized on her account.

you could not, for example, book travel on her account for yourself or another person (or so I was told)

that seems to make sense for a simple 'check the box' authorization without any follow up paper work. (otherwise if you hacked an account you could run amok)

however... for the case of families... there really shouldn't be any need for any authorizations. you simply ring USDM and create four PNRs, one for each account miles will be coming from. you can book on behalf if your children and your wife. each if the tickets will be in their name. the USDM agent may ask to speak to your wife at the very end just to confirm the use of the miles (one second on the phone to confirm identity, that's it).

as for the children, that's never been an issue for my friends that are in the same boat as you... they just ring and book and the miles come out.
I usually don't get ask about this when booking on behalf of my GF. Once the agent asked, and I refered to her online profile, indicating I was allowed to make bookings for her. Worked like a charm.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:02 am

Basic questions from a newbie- using miles on Star Alliance

Hello All,

I'm new to accruing and using Dividend Miles and have a couple of questions. I currently have about 70,000 miles. US Airways doesn't fly to where I want to go with my award travel (US to South Africa via Europe) but there are several options with Star Alliance partners (eg NYC to FRA or LHR then to JNB and CPT).

US Airways has a partner award chart in pdf format on its website. It shows that US to Africa r/t needs 70,000 miles.

While planning an itinerary and before calling US Airways reservations, can I assume that, as long as I find award avaiability (eg by using United's search tools and finding availability in "Saver Award Economy") on Star Alliance carriers, I will be able to get those flights for my 70.000 miles? Or are there other restrictions and limitations that I haven't considered? I'm aware of blackouts dates for award travel but these don't apply in my case.

I'm grateful for any answers.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by englishvalencia
...While planning an itinerary and before calling US Airways reservations, can I assume that, as long as I find award avaiability (eg by using United's search tools and finding availability in "Saver Award Economy") on Star Alliance carriers, I will be able to get those flights for my 70.000 miles? ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk, englishvalencia ^

Your assumption is correct - if you can find award availability, US will book it for the stated 70k miles (with tax/fees of course, but no fuel surcharge like some other airlines do).

South Africa is a popular destination, and the challenge is finding award availability on the dates you want ...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:51 am

One small matter..

Many thanks for the reply. I will attempt to read the previous 1000 pages on this thread in order to get answers to routing questions.

I do have one question outstanding: Are there any consequences if I don't take the final flight of my award itinerary. Specifically, I would like to trave from the US to South Africa,via Europe and, on the return leg, stay in Europe (ie I simply wouldn't take a LHR to NYC final flight). Will US consider that I'm doing something wrong? What can they do?

Last edited by englishvalencia; Jul 18, 2013 at 10:20 am Reason: update.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
PNR Changed

Original PNR on hold had business seats, when I called today to ticket it I was informed that it has Coach seats....

Will have to start from scratch again since I was told no availability exists.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:33 am

Flight to BUD 5/30 on US miles?

I have US miles and called US to book 2 tickets PHX – BUD 5/30, Economy, 30K each way. My return is 6/17 so I needed to wait today to book the tickets. US is not showing any LH inventory after 5/27, do they release tickets on a different schedule then US?

The flight I was looking to book is PHX – BUD 5/30, KRK – FRA 6/14 (LH #1369 @1835 hours), FRA – PHX 6/17. I have flexibility outbound to travel 5/29, and I can omit the KRK – FRA leg and pay out of pocket. We are traveling with 2 other couples so our dates are hard to change. I used the ANA website to find a number of LH flights from the states to BUD on 5/30 (MCO, PHL, JFK, ATL, BOS, and YYZ) but I will need to try to talk US into opening 2 seats from PHX to one of these cities.

My questions to everyone;
When would LH release inventory to US for the 5/30 flights?
Has anyone had any luck in convincing US to open up economy seats?
Does anyone see any other options on *A for our trip?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:18 am

Strategy to book on partner before DM disappears

Would like to book an ANA roundtrip in January (for December 2014), using Dividend Miles. Am worried that Dividend Miles might have already been dissolved by then as part of the AA merger.

If there is an announcement that Dividend Miles can be redeemed only through a certain date, let's say as an example November 1st, I am wondering if I could/should simply book the ANA roundtrip for whatever dates I can get (at that point it would be too early to book for the actual December 2014 dates that I want) and then at a later point make a change of dates (and pay the change fee, which I believe would be $150).

Hopefully Dividend Miles will still exist through at least January, but I want to have a backup plan just in case.

So, I might have to book for let's say dates in October, then in January I would attempt to change the dates to my actually-wanted dates in December. In that scenario I guess I would be calling AA to make the change (even though ANA is in Star Alliance and AA is in Oneworld).

Does this sound like a good strategy? Any advice or thoughts on this?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:33 am

If you try to change after US joins OW, my guess is that you will be restricted to only the OW airlines. Sucks, I know...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Sucks, I know...
Matter of perspective
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Would like to book an ANA roundtrip...using Dividend Miles...would attempt to change the dates to my actually-wanted dates in December. In that scenario I guess I would be calling AA to make the change (even though ANA is in Star Alliance and AA is in Oneworld).
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
If you try to change after US joins OW, my guess is that you will be restricted to only the OW airlines.
What I really need to know, then, is: when would my Dividend Miles no longer be redeemable on Star Alliance partners?

No one yet knows for sure...but I am curious as to what others would speculate about this. Most likely Dividend Miles will still exist as a separate program (within the Star Alliance) through January 2014...or unlikely?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Is US blocking UA award seats?

Saw First Class seats available on UA next Spring, EWR to FRA. Called USAir to redeem Dividend Miles for those seats (I'M PLATINUM Elite) and was told United has not released those seats yet to US.

Had issues a few years ago with Lufthansa First. Seats available on UA and US said they did not see them. Asked them to hand ticket them and said it couldn't be done. Escalated to a Supervisor and told them that I chose to be loyal to US but that if I had been loyal to UA, I could have the tickets with a click, rather than having to argue and beg. They relented and I got ticketed.

So my question is - is it true that UA might have seats on their website for their own customers but not released to partners, or are they blowing smoke. I would like to know if it is worth escalating again.

Many thanks for feedback.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by muji
No one yet knows for sure...but I am curious as to what others would speculate about this. Most likely Dividend Miles will still exist as a separate program (within the Star Alliance) through January 2014...or unlikely?
It'll take some 2 years to merge US and AA after final approval, until then they will be operating as two separate carriers with two separate FF programs. So unless US (as US) comes over to OW, DM in *A is likely to exist until 2016, or at the very least until late 2015. The only way how it could be not so is if US (still as US) goes over to OW, before the merger being completed (the whole process and getting one carrier certificate and all I believe takes a good 2 years), which is possible, but unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.