Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
Wish you luck, I have been looking at LH inventory for my trip and just found the number (of seats) dwindle from some availability to no availability.

Originally Posted by azmike
Called back US (2nd time) connected with a great rep and she checked every LH outbound city but with no luck. She did look at my list, found a AC flight out of YYZ. So PHX - CLT - YYZ - FRA - BUD. Gets me there 40+ hours later. Put it on a 3 day hold, hopefully LH will release their inventory.

Is there any risk that AC or LH (FRA - BUD) would pull their seats from me? Should I just lock in now or take the chance and call back Friday and Saturday?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:16 am

In my experience I found aeroplan a far better tool to use against ANA. Awardtravlr was not that insightful where as aeroplan had nearly all possible connections listed.

Having a helpful and great agent helps a lot, someone who is willing to work with you. I have had instances where the agent has told me that they have done 5 searches for the route, so I need to call back to an agent who actually guided me and helped me understand the US Air process. Overall, good learning experience and some nisights on how it all works.

Finally, I was able to ticket my award travel...
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:19 am

*Duplicate*
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:32 am

Hello All,

I'm trying to get to South Africa from the East Coast of the US (eg BOS, NYC or WAS) but also to get home to London for a week on the way there.

I'm having problems a) understanding US Airways' rules and b) finding availability. My biggest problem is to put the stop in Europe on the outbound whilst staying within the rules (ie. hub city stops only).

Am I right in thinking that for a US to South Africa itinerary, a stopover in London is almost impossible? BMI is the only *A member to have a hub in LHR.

So, to get my week in London, should I be looking for a BOS - FRA on LH? (and then make my own way between FRA and LON)?

Alternatively, will I be allowed to use BRU as a stopover en route to JNB (again, making my own way from BRU to LON)? eg

NYC - BRU - JNB - FRA - NYC

If anyone has any ideas as to a permitted routing that could I achieve what I need, I'd be grateful to hear them.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:56 am

Your observation to get LHR as a stop-over are correct, LHR is very difficult. All flights that I saw actually came back from FRa/MUC or ZRH to LHR.

However, please see if you can get Scandinavian airlines routing to get a stop-over in Paris (tube away to London), FRA is fine as well just adds another few hours.

Please refer to page one of this thread for rules and some great insights. You may want to use ANA, Awardtravelr or aeroplan.com to see which reward flights are available.

You can get the stopovers as you desire but please remember more the segments, all the more planning and research you will have to do because majority of agents get confused. You will need a patience drink each time you call with this routing.

All the best.

Originally Posted by englishvalencia
Hello All,

I'm trying to get to South Africa from the East Coast of the US (eg BOS, NYC or WAS) but also to get home to London for a week on the way there.

I'm having problems a) understanding US Airways' rules and b) finding availability. My biggest problem is to put the stop in Europe on the outbound whilst staying within the rules (ie. hub city stops only).

Am I right in thinking that for a US to South Africa itinerary, a stopover in London is almost impossible? BMI is the only *A member to have a hub in LHR.

So, to get my week in London, should I be looking for a BOS - FRA on LH? (and then make my own way between FRA and LON)?

Alternatively, will I be allowed to use BRU as a stopover en route to JNB (again, making my own way from BRU to LON)? eg

NYC - BRU - JNB - FRA - NYC

If anyone has any ideas as to a permitted routing that could I achieve what I need, I'd be grateful to hear them.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:59 am

Thanks for the reply. But surely, with Scandinavian airlines the problem with a Paris stop is that it is not their hub city. I could probably find a way to South Africa via a UK city (if not LHR, then MAN or BHX or even GLA) but it would be on a carrier that doesn't have a UK hub (eg UA or US).

I'd be happy to fly to PAR or BRU or, at a push, FRA to get my week at home in London on the outbound (wedding to attend there) but I'm not sure how to do it.

Last edited by englishvalencia; Jul 19, 2013 at 10:00 am Reason: small error
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:12 am

Since there is a 1 week break, these are two separate journeys I believe. You should look at the following:

1) BOS - CDG (or any other european city)
2) CDG - Destination
3) Return Journey.

My perspective will be to reach my destination even if it is not a hub and then carry on to the rest of the journey. You may want to see which european city has the best connection to the final destination and again how much luggage are you ready to carry around.

As per rules:
One stopover (subject to conditions) is permitted on an award, or ONE open-jaw.* (This rule changed from two-stopovers to one stopover in Summer 2010.)

Open Jaw is when you want to continue the journey from another city and not the last arrived city.

Thanks for the reply. But surely, with Scandinavian airlines the problem with a Paris stop is that it is not their hub city. I could probably find a way to South Africa via a UK city (if not LHR, then MAN or BHX or even GLA) but it would be on a carrier that doesn't have a UK hub (eg UA or US).

I'd be happy to fly to PAR or BRU or, at a push, FRA to get my week at home in London on the outbound (wedding to attend there) but I'm not sure how to do it.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
No. Stopover in LHR should be possible. Check the USDM membership guide:

Stopovers

3) For travel outside the continental U.S., Canada and Alaska, you’re allowed one stopover per US Airways itinerary at a US Airways gateway or international destination (or in a partner hub city if you’re traveling on an award partner). US Airways hub/international gateway cities include Charlotte, Philadelphia and Phoenix. Please call Reservations for additional US Airways international gateways and partner hub cities.
If you anyway don't need the last leg LHR-USA, book this leg on US, then there should be no complaint about the rule stated above.

Please keep in mind, if you make a stopover at the UK and flying business- or first-class, the UK Luxury Fee will be charged. I guess its some additional 50-100 GBP. This fee does not apply, if your departing flight (LHR-USA) is in economy class.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:08 pm

I suppose I didn't understand the phrase "US Airways itinerary". I can travel from the US to LHR on US Airways but from LHR to JNB will be on a partner airline. Does this fulfill the definition of a "US Airways itinerary"?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Where do you book your award ticket?
The output will be an itinerary...
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:54 pm

I suppose I didn't understand the phrase "US Airways itinerary". I can travel from the US to LHR on US Airways but from LHR to JNB will be on a partner airline. Does this fulfill the definition of a "US Airways itinerary"?
Have you tried routing via Toronto (YYZ) ? Air Canada will almost always have you connect via LHR to/from JNB.

Best to check aeroplan.com as it will populate with the AC flights that connect via LHR with SA

Once you find avail. flights call US and tell them the flights you'd like to take.

Best of luck
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:01 pm

[QUOTE=englishvalencia;21124498Am I right in thinking that for a US to South Africa itinerary, a stopover in London is almost impossible? BMI is the only *A member to have a hub in LHR.[/QUOTE]

BMI is no longer a member of *A
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:02 am

...or in existence?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:03 am

AC, LOT or TAP?

With no miles seats on US, UA or LF I am limited to AC, LOT or TAP to fly from the US to Europe. I have not flown on these airlines before, are there any that I should stay away from or are they on par with US?

Edit: Sorry, should have mentioned sitting in E.

Last edited by azmike; Jul 20, 2013 at 9:41 am
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:13 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by azmike
With no miles seats on US, UA or LF I am limited to AC, LOT or TAP to fly from the US to Europe. I have not flown on these airlines before, are there any that I should stay away from or are they on par with US?
Assuming you are booking J:

AC has fully flat/horizontal seating in their trans-atlantic fleet, outside of one flight from YYT-LHR, which is flown in a 319. Service is fine.

LO has fully flat/horizontal seating in their 787s. Service is OK but more minimal than AC.

TP has flat/angled seating long haul, so on that basis alone would be my last choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.