Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Originally Posted by TopGunner
To the brain trust,

It's been a while since I last put a truly challenging USAirways award, I've been dirtying myself with paid travel on the glut of good premium fares if you are flexible supplemented by award tickets from programs with a little more flexibility than the beloved DM.

I digress.

Without divulging too much and making myself a target, i am looking to do the routing below and would appreciate the trust's take on the probability of success with the USDM team.

South Pacific to East coast North America (via North Asia) ~ 2-3 segments
1 week stopover

East coast north america to Southern Africa (destination)
-> via direct (~1-2 segments)
-> via Europe (~2-3 segments)

Southern Africa to South Pacific (~1-3 segments)
Jesus Christ, i'll bite..

AKL-BKK in NZ C class
BKK-NRT in TG A380 F
NRT-North America- ANA F if you're lucky, or OZ F , if you add a NRT-ICN segment or CA F if you add a NRT-PEK segment

or BR C if you add a NRT-TPE segment or just fly BKK-TPE direct.

JFK-JNB (your sole viable option sans connection) SA- C
if u connect through europe, your options are wide open since a ton of airlines fly to Jo'burg

JNB-PER- SA- C
PER-AKL NZ-C
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Originally Posted by chinatown
Jesus Christ, i'll bite..

AKL-BKK in NZ C class
BKK-NRT in TG A380 F
NRT-North America- ANA F if you're lucky, or OZ F , if you add a NRT-ICN segment or CA F if you add a NRT-PEK segment

or BR C if you add a NRT-TPE segment or just fly BKK-TPE direct.

JFK-JNB (your sole viable option sans connection) SA- C
if u connect through europe, your options are wide open since a ton of airlines fly to Jo'burg

JNB-PER- SA- C
PER-AKL NZ-C
Thanks Chinatown! You went over and above what I was asking, and actually have me thinking about some new routings.

The key questions still remain, would this get priced by USDM? And would it be priced as a SWP-N. AMERICA or SWP-Africa award?

Will try to book next week and come back with my original routing and what I'm successful with.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Looking to sneak in one more C class reward before we lose *A rewards.

Has anyone had success with something similar to this?

CMH-ORD/JFK-IST TK
IST-MLE TK

MLE-SIN SQ
SIN-NRT SQ
NRT-ORD/JFK-CMH NH

I am not set on flying West one way and East another (if it's even possible), looking for ideas!

Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
JFK SYD +++++

Saw a blog post, using 110000 Star A miles

NY Taipie, BKK SYD BKK ICN JFK. In J Using Eva, TG and Asiana.

I tried to fighure out if I can do this with a BKK BOM (stopover 30 days) BKK and back to ORD ? Stopover 15 days in SYD also.
Start anytime after Jan1.

How do I try this on ITA ?

Is it doable ?
Thank you
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TopGunner

The key questions still remain, would this get priced by USDM? And would it be priced as a SWP-N. AMERICA or SWP-Africa award?
Are you asking for someone to try and dummy book an award that totally bends every rule, probably including some HUACA, just so you can know whether or not it can be booked and the mileage rate it would be at?

With all due respect, if you're trying to abuse USDM to do a 5-continent award on as little miles as possible, don't ask people to test this for you, or assume that people have done the work for you. Be a trailblazer. You have a possible routing. Let us know how it goes...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by chinatown
AKL-BKK in NZ C class
BKK-NRT in TG A380 F
NZ don't fly to BKK. So you'd have to make that TG as well.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by PHLisa
This is allowed. I just booked a westbound US-Japan-Italy-US trip 2 weeks ago.
If US-Asia-Europe-US is allowed, is it counted as a Europe or North Asia trip?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:08 am

Furthest point is your destination, which in most cases will be North Asia.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by jphripjah
You're usually very helpful. Is there something wrong today? I thought both of my questions were reasonable.
Yes you're right!
But come on, you could have asked your questions by yourself...

I'm looking to book a RT itinerary from Bangkok to Kuwait. Two questions:

1. I want to stop over for 3 days in Muscat. It's not a hub, so I know that a stopover there is technically not allowed. What are the chances that the agent will catch that, and is there any strategy to avoid having the agent or the rate desk reject the itinerary on that basis. The itinerary would be PNH-BKK-MCT (stop) - BAH-KWI-CAI-BKK-PNH.
Questions starting with "I know it's against the rules, but..." are just annoying. What are members expect with such questions? Do thy want to call the US Rep saying that FT member ABC told that it has to be possible or that FT member XYZ also got issued a stopover at a non *A-hub?

It does not make any sense to discuss such questions, at the end the member that wants to play against the USDM rules just doesn't stop HUACA until he got what he wants... A good example just a few threads back, discussed back and forth: Thread #17249. At the end, the member got what he wanted (Thread #17271), even if the voices at this thread were different...

Seen it this way, it's not worth to answer such questions...

2. I'd like to include a 16 hour stop in Cairo on the return. Will the fact that I stop in Cairo (Africa) kick the itinerary into a higher mileage cost, or should it price out as South Asia-Middle East (75,000 in business class) even if I have a layover in Cairo on the return?
Same here. Detour via CAI exceeds the MPM. If routing wanted this way, the destination has to be CAI (zone Africa), even if only connecting there. But the problems would then be the two sopovers in MCT and KWI. But yes, enough HUACA and you get it...

No wunder, USDM has tightened up the screw regarding award ticket routings. MPM was barely never enforces a few years ago, now it's hard to get a ticket US-Asia-Australia...

Thank you, dear bloggers and members trying to squeeze out the lemon more than to the max... Soon this game anyway will be over...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:32 am

Hello everyone. I have found a strange thing today when trying to book an award flight on Lufthansa on June 9 2014. I tried FRA-AMS or CDG-FRA and US Airways say no Lufthansa flights are showing. I see them via United and on Aeroplan as being available. Is Lufthansa limited the awards available to US Airways because they are leaving the Alliance?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by rsydney
Hello everyone. I have found a strange thing today when trying to book an award flight on Lufthansa on June 9 2014. I tried FRA-AMS or CDG-FRA and US Airways say no Lufthansa flights are showing. I see them via United and on Aeroplan as being available. Is Lufthansa limited the awards available to US Airways because they are leaving the Alliance?
I can just paste my answer from last friday:

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Well known Problem and been reported/asked in this therad several times a week...

Please read the last few pages of this thread and your question will be answered!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Originally Posted by rsydney
This is almost a daily question now. Read the last few pages of this thread.

Last edited by Peppep; Jul 28, 2013 at 8:07 am Reason: Too late...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by inthemix
Looking to sneak in one more C class reward before we lose *A rewards.

Has anyone had success with something similar to this?

CMH-ORD/JFK-IST TK
IST-MLE TK

MLE-SIN SQ
SIN-NRT SQ
NRT-ORD/JFK-CMH NH

I am not set on flying West one way and East another (if it's even possible), looking for ideas!

Thanks
In the mix-I did the following:

PHX-IAH (US)
IAH-IST (TK)
IST-MLE (TK) 6 nights in paradise
MLE-SIN (SQ) one day stopover
SIN-ICN (SQ)
ICN-SFO (OZ)
SFO-PHX (US)

This came to 120,000 miles each and $80 in taxes. This is c class by the way and will occur in November. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Originally Posted by shawn67
In the mix-I did the following:

PHX-IAH (US)
IAH-IST (TK)
IST-MLE (TK) 6 nights in paradise
MLE-SIN (SQ) one day stopover
SIN-ICN (SQ)
ICN-SFO (OZ)
SFO-PHX (US)

This came to 120,000 miles each and $80 in taxes. This is c class by the way and will occur in November. Hope this helps!
Nice, just the example I was looking for. TK in, SQ out. I imagine I could do NH, OZ or maybe even UA or SQ (unlikely) back from a random Asian stop to the states. I've been very successful with NH availability from NRT, but ICN or HKG work just as well.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga

No wunder, USDM has tightened up the screw regarding award ticket routings. MPM was barely never enforces a few years ago, now it's hard to get a ticket US-Asia-Australia...

Thank you, dear bloggers and members trying to squeeze out the lemon more than to the max... Soon this game anyway will be over...
It won't matter pretty soon, unless by some miracle the merged airline keeps US's award structure/lack of routing rules. (Which isn't completely impossible- the one annoyance the UA/CO merger got rid of was *Net blocking, and they generally kept the more permissive award rules from CO.)

Given that the exec is from AA, though, and Parker's on record as going "the bigger airline is going to win ties"... I doubt this. So we'll have things like "must have a published fare" and "can't go to India via TPAC on one award" to deal with...

So at this point, USDM is terminal. Might as well burn, baby, burn...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.