Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Are you saying the process is going to take 5 years from when the first one went in to complete?
Yes, I am speculating that it will take 5 years for the job to complete from when the first 777 went in. That started in February, the second goes in May. At 4 a year, it will actually take 10+ years to complete but I am a perpetual optimist....

Excuses like "the economy is bad" (it isn't anymore) or "fuel prices continue to rise" (they aren't anymore) are always there as backups if anyone asks.

In the meantime, if I take paid business on *A from SFO-LHR, I'm either using Air Canada or Air New Zealand.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yes, I am speculating that it will take 5 years for the job to complete from when the first 777 went in. That started in February, the second goes in May. At 4 a year, it will actually take 10+ years to complete but I am a perpetual optimist....

Excuses like "the economy is bad" (it isn't anymore) or "fuel prices continue to rise" (they aren't anymore) are always there as backups if anyone asks.

In the meantime, if I take paid business on *A from SFO-LHR, I'm either using Air Canada or Air New Zealand.
Seems you haven't been following this thread to know the completion schedule:

Originally Posted by Wiki
The following conversion schedule has been announced for conversions in SFO:

2010 - 9
2011 - 16
2012 - 7
Additionally 14 others will be modified separately as part of heavy maintenance visits in coming years.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Seems you haven't been following this thread to know the completion schedule:

Originally Posted by Wiki
The following conversion schedule has been announced for conversions in SFO:

2010 - 9
2011 - 16
2012 - 7
Additionally 14 others will be modified separately as part of heavy maintenance visits in coming years.
Has United followed ANY previously posted schedule for these upgrades? I sure don't recall one. Even though this one shows an amazingly fast (for UA) three years, there is no historical precedent for believing it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 18, 2010 at 9:04 pm Reason: off-topic
Old May 18, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by saaws
As a frequent flyer of both routes (icn-sfo, icn-nrt-sfo) these are routes with weak paid premium demand, frequently op up offered to 1k 1p even 2p and *G). I think us-nrt on 777 continues to icn, so maybe icn-nrt may get new F/C sooner than icn-sfo 777.
Not so sure I agree with this. I have had u/g's only clear at the gate several times on B fares. Also did not clear a C->F u/g once.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Has United followed ANY previously posted schedule for these upgrades?
Usually after they've posted 5 or 6 revised schedules, they're close enough to the end that they eventually have one that fits. But you are correct that we're way too early in the cycle for an accurate estimate. And the merger is another wildcard.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And the merger is another wildcard.
And that (the impact), frankly, is what I'd worry about, not UA's proven ability or inability to follow published schedules. Besides, flying paid C on AC or NZ doesn't sound like terrible hardship to me.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
flying paid C on AC or NZ doesn't sound like terrible hardship to me.
Must be nice to have that option...
Old May 18, 2010, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Did anyone ever explain the practice of placing the C seats so that people on either side of an aisle stare at each other? Why are forward facing seats not across from forward facing seats? Completely bizarre.
Old May 19, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Jet2K
Does anyone know for sure whether coach (not Economy Plus) has powerports?

By the way, I think EgyptAir is one of the few (only) airlines with a 3-4-2 coach configuration.

http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/400/Eg...oeing_777-200/

From what I recall, drawing that seatmap is a real challenge, since the pitch is different for the different columns. I would imagine that this plane is not the favorite of the airline's mechanics.

I am one of the 2-5-2 lovers, and really sad to see the 77Q in 3-3-3
Wonder how they compensate for weight & balance if at all in a 3-4-2... or is that done with cargo loading... just bizzare.
Old May 19, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The five-year-long upgrade process begins.....
At least it has not been COmpromised!
Old May 19, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Wonder how they compensate for weight & balance if at all in a 3-4-2... or is that done with cargo loading... just bizzare.
It isn't too much different than an MD-80 or similar, I wouldn't think.
Old May 19, 2010, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Never heard of this arrangement. Any airline actually using it?
747's were delivered this way in the early 70s....
Old May 19, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
The lateral balancing isn't thrown off even with the 3.4.2 seating, because even though the left 3 seats make that side "heavy" it's compensated by the middle four seats being shifted to the right. The egyptair link shows this pretty well.
Old May 19, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Side to side balance issue is probably very minor with such a short moment arm from the CG relative to the importance of staying within the fore-and-aft range. That's why on commuter flights passengers are often requested to be reseated (usually toward the back) for weight and balance purposes.
Old May 19, 2010, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by dfreeman02
And according to UnitedCargo, it's scheduled to go to LHR that afternoon as UA954 (though still old seat map on .bomb).
Landed SFO as UA9932 at 0854 on the 19th; left for LHR at 1345 (42 minutes late) as UA954..............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.