Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

I don't understand why UA takes so long to update their websites. I guess they do if faster if it benefits them!
you mean the website with a 70 page (and counting) and 2700+ (and counting) post count discussing all of its features problems
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I'm a little surprised that 2-5-2 vs. 3-3-3 is so controversial for so many folks, and not to be too crass about it, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with Y or Y+, but even if I had to, I don't think I'd really care either way, as long as the seat beside me were empty.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Looks like the suitedreams website has been updated. It no longer says 777 reconfig starting Feb. 2010, instead, the text next to the 777 has disappeared.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
aka called off due to the merger.

just posting this now as the phrase will get old really quick.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
New speculation - when will all the CO 777s be repainted, get new IPTE seats, etc etc etc.

LOL.
CO 777 can be used better from some of UA routes... ord-HKG can now be a 777 if they use the CO plane. When they do swap around the fleet it will be much better for us. perhaps we can get a nonstop from the west coast to BKK.
Old May 2, 2010, 6:44 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by PH-BFS
Can't have it both ways. It's either AVOD with 3-3-3 or no AVOD with 2-5-2. Each IFE box can service up to three seats at once, and if UA keeps 2-5-2, it would require four IFE boxes per row instead of three per row.

Panasonic. Model appears to be eFX or eX2.

It would have to be AVOD since the Panasonic eFX or eX2 do not use loop programming.
If each IFE box can only service a maximum of three seats, then it's clear that someone needs to do some work on producing a box that will service four or five seats, rather than reconfiguring seats. (And before some tech tells me that it's not feasible, sure it is if you want it enough. Perhaps Panasonic need to be pushed.)

I can't believe that it would cost more to provide a different kind of box than to reposition the majority of seats in the Y cabin.
Old May 2, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Diamond | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
If each IFE box can only service a maximum of three seats, then it's clear that someone needs to do some work on producing a box that will service four or five seats, rather than reconfiguring seats. (And before some tech tells me that it's not feasible, sure it is if you want it enough. Perhaps Panasonic need to be pushed.)

I can't believe that it would cost more to provide a different kind of box than to reposition the majority of seats in the Y cabin.
Would they need to change the seats to install IFE?

Aren't new seats these days the slim line kinds (thinner) and with the seat sliding forward instead of the seat back reclining? So that would also require seats to be changed.
Old May 2, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Stick with a loser! That is the UA credo!

From the images it doesn't look like they did anything to add some storage to the C seats. So besides jamming in more seats, they didn't bother to make even a slight improvement. Another big ^ to UA and their designers.

Do they not get that only under dire circumstances would I EVER pay for international C on this plane? Upgrade perhaps. But pay $5000+ for this? Not a chance in hell, when there is better hard AND soft C product out there.
LOL.

I said that before and someone told me that I wasn't in United's target market.

I do like the new lie-flat seats, but I'd still find it hard pressed to pay for Int'l C - at least transatlantic.

Big downer on the 3-3-3 config. When I fly alone, having only one somber face to look at is a lot better than two.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by 1P

Its not just the IFE boxes, the new seats couldn't pass newer safety standards in a 5 across arrangement. Seats have to be able to withstand a 16g impact, new seats couldn't do that in 2-5-2 but they can in 3-3-3.
Old May 3, 2010, 3:03 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
Its not just the IFE boxes, the new seats couldn't pass newer safety standards in a 5 across arrangement. Seats have to be able to withstand a 16g impact, new seats couldn't do that in 2-5-2 but they can in 3-3-3.
Thanks for this info. Does this mean the new seats are actually less robust than the old ones?
Old May 3, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Why would they stick a plane with no F on a route that they can actually sell F?
Old May 3, 2010, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I doubt any aircraft will be painted in the merged CO/UA livery until the merger obtains regulatory approval, a design is finalized, and Marketing Day One is much, much closer.
+1

who knows, perhaps the new livery will change (fingers crossed)

I can't wait to see the new 777 in person!
Old May 3, 2010, 2:29 pm

Even though the merger was just announced today, any thoughts/insights on whether the 777 conversion program will be put on hold, or will it continue at full pace? The conversions are supposed to be completed by 2012. If the merger proceeds as planned, UA/CO will be one in early 2011. Makes no sense to spend all that money upgrading the aircraft if there's a possibility seating layouts might change with the merger.

When is the next 777 scheduled to get the new seats? I guess we'll be able to tell if the next one goes in as planned.
Old May 3, 2010, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I have got to think it will be put on hold... both CO and UA are in the middle of conversion so now both will be put on hold.
Old May 3, 2010, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
I have got to think it will be put on hold... both CO and UA are in the middle of conversion so now both will be put on hold.
Why, is it the plan that no one cares about reconfiguration? I, for one, will not pay for business if it isn't a flat bed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.