Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old May 19, 2010, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Landed SFO as UA9932 at 0854 on the 19th; left for LHR at 1345 (42 minutes late) as UA954..............
I'm on UA 954 on Aug 14. Here's hoping it's the new first.

Does anyone know how long the next 777 is going to take and what route it's going on?
Old May 22, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: *Gold, 1K
When do you think all 777's will be upgraded?

i'll be doing LAX-LHR December/Jan - how many planes do you think will have new biz class by end of year?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 22, 2010 at 5:26 pm Reason: moved from other thread; more topical here
Old May 22, 2010, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jimmyb88
i'll be doing LAX-LHR December/Jan - how many planes do you think will have new biz class by end of year?
At least two. And who knows what routes any of them will be flying?
Old May 22, 2010, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by jimmyb88
The plan is/was 8 airplanes by year end but the wild card is the UA/CO merger and the 2 class or 3 class product offering decision.
Old May 22, 2010, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtrav
The plan is/was 8 airplanes by year end but the wild card is the UA/CO merger and the 2 class or 3 class product offering decision.
This type of comment really does a disservice to the members of this site. Until the government approves the merger these two companies are separate and are competitors. A competitor is not going to give a rival a potential advantage by making serious changes to their business plan on the assumption that something may happen in the future. I am sure that UA will continue with their plans, just as CO will continue with their plans. Any suggestion that they are cooperating in any way would be an indication of illegal collusive behavior and the other airlines would love to sue them for it.
Old May 22, 2010, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by planemechanic
This type of comment really does a disservice to the members of this site. Until the government approves the merger these two companies are separate and are competitors. A competitor is not going to give a rival a potential advantage by making serious changes to their business plan on the assumption that something may happen in the future. I am sure that UA will continue with their plans, just as CO will continue with their plans. Any suggestion that they are cooperating in any way would be an indication of illegal collusive behavior and the other airlines would love to sue them for it.
Disservice - Why?

This site (and others) are full of guessing what the merged company will offer. Two class vs 3 class, UDU, SWU, hard products, soft products, mileage program, premium boarding, economy plus, the list goes on. The collaboration has (and should have) already started. Hasn't the officer level integration team already been established? If they can't discuss joint plans going forward, should the merger happen, what is the point of establishing an integration office and what do they talk about if it's illegal? In reality, the merger plan has been announced and there is nothing illegal about them discussing the plans for the new company, should they be approved to merge. They have already announced who is going to run the new company, the new livery and where certain operations are going to be based etc, are you saying that is collusion? Illegal?
Old May 22, 2010, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Exactly. We're not talking about collusion, we're talking about something United simply has never done (well) before - planning ahead.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Trying to decide between LHR?LAX and LHR/SFO next April. Any thoughts on which is more likely to have the new seating?
Old May 23, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Presuming that the merger goes forward, my guess is that the resulting airline will maintain F to a handful of key destinations with heavy C class and some paid F (like NRT, HKG, FRA, GRU and LHR) and do two class on thinner routes
Old May 26, 2010, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carbonchaser
Presuming that the merger goes forward, my guess is that the resulting airline will maintain F to a handful of key destinations with heavy C class and some paid F (like NRT, HKG, FRA, GRU and LHR) and do two class on thinner routes
I seriously doubt, the new F-class cabin in the 744 and 763 will be ripped out anytime soon. Now, for the just started 777 it might be a different outcome.
Old May 26, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by wripro
Trying to decide between LHR?LAX and LHR/SFO next April. Any thoughts on which is more likely to have the new seating?
Got a coin ?
Old May 26, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wripro
Yesterday I flew the new config from LHR-LAX and I don't think anyone was guessing it was going to be on that route for a while. So next April, who could predict? I'd just go for whatever route is most convenient and hope it falls into place for you.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mtimmer
Yesterday I flew the new config from LHR-LAX and I don't think anyone was guessing it was going to be on that route for a while. So next April, who could predict? I'd just go for whatever route is most convenient and hope it falls into place for you.
How was the new config? Better than the 747/767 reconfig, or not as good with the eight across seating in C?
Old May 26, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
How was the new config? Better than the 747/767 reconfig, or not as good with the eight across seating in C?
I can only compare to the 767 new config and it felt slightly narrower, but not a big negative at all. However, my wife and I were in the section of two...if we had been in the middle four, perhaps we wouldn't have liked it as much.

We had the old config due to an unexpected stop and plane change and it really sucked going from the new to the old...
Old May 27, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
CO 777 upgrades

Received an email about Continentals new business class refit.
Seems strange that CO is going full speed ahead on their 2 class 777 upgrade and the new 787 will be in the 2 class config.
Do you think the new UA/CO will have a split fleet with no first class on any of the old CO routes?

Last edited by 2old4coach; May 27, 2010 at 8:56 am Reason: spelling errors

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.